FDNY NEW Firehouses and EMS Stations

Does any know and or have pictures of any new firehouses or EMS stations or anything are in the works coming up to be built?

No new firehouses are planned. A new firehouse is needed in Hudson Yards but the city doesn?t wanna spend the money.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
They are working on the re-built EMS station on Penn Ave in Bklyn.

Atlas said:
Ah yes, station 39, the building which started life where fuel oil trucks were stored, but then, it beats the former station on Liberty Avenue.

memory master said:
Atlas said:
Ah yes, station 39, the building which started life where fuel oil trucks were stored, but then, it beats the former station on Liberty Avenue.

Liberty Avenue!  Now your talking! I worked for EMS as one of the first class of "Corpsman", green outfit, badge 2388... assigned to Liberty Outpost summer of '78...I worked midnight to 8 AM covering all of East New York, Liberty 374!...Most times only ONE bus for the tour...There were times I was the only EMT in all of ENY, driven by a MVO or "driver" in a blue uniform, that only drove (and terrible at that!)...You had to be agile and quick on your feet on certain calls of 2 or more injured!...3 stabbed on Livionia and Pennsylvania...double shooting on Fulton...overtuned vehicle in weeds off Belt Pkwy with 11 occupants (no PD or FD!)...I carried a small scanner, this way I picked up from PD on scene "confirmed shooting" etc. Not uncommon on Friday/ Saturday dispatch would assign "sick, injured, or obs...with caveat, "holding this job for two hours"...due to back log.

Boss was either LeRoy Branch or Frank Castiglione. 75 PCT was the murder capital during that time, 1978-1979. I did a tour with "69 Mets" before he got on FDNY  just before I left for DCFD, July 79.

I turned down Fire Patrol...way too much action on the "bus". I kept a log, sometimes I refer to it as I kept detailed notes on certain calls I could not believe I was seeing...at a ripe old age of 21/22 I was in the middle of the Wild, Wild West, only it was East NY...  Amazing experience during an amazing time.

Typical rig of the day;

I had the pleasure of knowing and working with Leroy up in Maspeth when we were assigned to MTD for a while. Good guy and good sense of humor.

Yes R-2 Collapse rig will be moving into their new quarters with them. And as stated ,RAC 2 is w L-102 now....all the RAC units are under Safety now , not SOC any more , so most likely not.  Besides once R-2 gets their new rig , their corrent rig will become their own spare and will also be stored in the new firehouse. All the Rescue's  will be keeping their old rigs as their own fully equipped spare.

Very interesting that each Rescue will have their own spare in their Qtrs. & a Great Progression ...a far cry from years ago when there was only one Rescue spare Citywide & if that was being used by another Rescue you got a Pumper & had as much of our equipment (not all)  as you could pack in the empty hose bed....at least with a more modern Pumper there was more room with the jump seat area but if you got a CD Pumper with only the hose bed & Back Step (for the FFs) you had even less room for equipment.

In reguards to the ?Each Rescue will have their own Spare in Quarters

Seems like No Vacancy at R1 & R4

I agree Rescue 2 will have room, Rescue 3 too not sure about Rescue 1 and 4 and Rescue 5 can keep the old rig outside.

Hey , I didn?t say all the Rescues in their own quarters, each Rescue will have their old rig as their own fully equipped spare , yes R-2, 3 and 5 will be able to house in their own quarters and R-1& 4 are looking for off site storage space. But the idea of having a spare read to go is awesome , no more 4+ hour change overs. Also the main idea behind R-6 , as a ?reserve rescue ? not a spare , will no long be needed. I?m the event of any major incident any of the full equipped spare can be put in service in a very short Reasonable amount of time.  Not sure about this as of yet , but the Pierce may also be keep as a spare , just not full equipped. The jury is still out as far as keeping the Pierce

TLTruckie said:
Hey , I didn?t say all the Rescues in their own quarters, each Rescue will have their old rig as their own fully equipped spare , yes R-2, 3 and 5 will be able to house in their own quarters and R-1& 4 are looking for off site storage space. But the idea of having a spare read to go is awesome , no more 4+ hour change overs. Also the main idea behind R-6 , as a ?reserve rescue ? not a spare , will no long be needed. I?m the event of any major incident any of the full equipped spare can be put in service in a very short Reasonable amount of time.  Not sure about this as of yet , but the Pierce may also be keep as a spare , just not full equipped. The jury is still out as far as keeping the Pierce
  BTW, The "OUTSTANDING" Pierce was being used by R5 yesterday afternoon. ;)

There had been talk of a new quarters for R1.  Not sure how far it?s gotten.
Also a developer was supposed to be trying to buy the property that e207/L110 and the 84pct with a new firehouse supposed to be built.