FDNY UHF Dispatch

Does anybody know how to program the new FDNY frequencies into a UNIDEN BCT15, it wont accept the 5 at the end of the freq.For example manhattan's frequency is
482.01625 but when i place it in my scanner it changes the frequency to 482.0162, so is there anyway to keep the 5 at the end ?

Mr Rescue 3, your type scanner will NOT accept that last digit (5). However, I"ve read on this site that it will still pick up those FDNY UHF channels. Maybe somebody out there can confirm this or add to it.

OK, I'm not totally understanding this new UHF. When I put Bronx CO in 482.006 (2/5 won't go in) it changes it to 482.000, and I get nuthin ! Ummmm, anyone ?

HCO

R1SmokeEater:  Your radio apparently has 12.5 kHz steps for each channel.  When you enter one of the new frequencies, which are in 6.25 kHz steps, the radio goes to a 12.5 kHz channel adjacent to the desired frequency.  Solution:  select 6.25 kHz spacing if your radio has that option, or get a radio with 6.25 kHz channel spacing.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Guys if you have an older radio you may run into problems trying to get these new freqs into them. Might be time for an upgrade.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Don't think you will hear anything on Citywide 2 any time soon. There is nothing to link it to unless they put Citywide 1 on it until they are ready to use it.

This issue may have been addressed earler in the thread.  I have an older Radio Shack PRO-92 hand held.  When I input the new freqs, they changed once I hit ENTER.  For example, Queens went from 482.03125 to 482-0250.  Thoughts?  Time for a new radio?  Thanks!

i had to buy a new radio. radioshack pro164. which was on sale at the time.
the radio has to do the 6.25. check radioreference.com. alot of good information on scanning and radios.

W

W3MOT

Hello folks,

A few questions.  I live on Long Island and I used to listen in often but I just don't have the time/interest like I used to.

1) Are the EMS frequencies also in the FD's radios, and visa-versa? 

2) I've heard rumors of simplex operation frequencies. (Fireground if you will..) I'm guessing their on UHF.  What are those frequencies?  Are they Borough specific or are they the same frequencies for all five boroughs? 

3) What is the actual layout of the radios?  (Alias / Channel number)

4) I know that the portables are XTS5000's model's 1 and 3.  What are the mobiles?

5) lastly, just to confirm... are these frequencies 6.25kHz step?

Also, to answer the switchover question - it is not hard at all to switch out radios.  (Haven't seen the inside of an FDNY truck in a long time so I don't know the setup), but if memory serves me correctly, I think they're remote mounted.  The old radio pop's out, the new radio pops in, and they take off the VHF antenna and screw a UHF one onto the mount.  All of the equipment is already installed.  (Antenna holes already drilled, power already run to radio, etc.  The radio shop can do all of this in 10 minutes per vehicle. 

"W3MOT". The guy that would know and I'm sure would be able to help you is "FD347". He is a supervising dispatcher in Brooklyn. He's usually willing to help. If anybody knows, its him. Maybe send him a "PM".

1) Are the EMS frequencies also in the FD's radios, and visa-versa?

Not on the rigs.

2) I've heard rumors of simplex operation frequencies. (Fireground if you will..) I'm guessing their on UHF.  What are those frequencies?  Are they Borough specific or are they the same frequencies for all five boroughs?

The fireground frequency is the same city wide, no PL. Look here: http://nycfire.net/node/15

3) What is the actual layout of the radios?  (Alias / Channel number)

See above. In the rigs, F1 is  Citywide, F2 is Queens, F3 is Brooklyn, F4 is Manhattan, F5 is Bronx/SI.

4) I know that the portables are XTS5000's model's 1 and 3.  What are the mobiles?

Not sure. Last time I looked they were Syntors.

5) lastly, just to confirm... are these frequencies 6.25kHz step?

That would be self evident when you look at the frequencies.

W

W3MOT

Thanks for the responses - I saw somewhere else that there are actually TWO Citywide channels on the new UHF plan.  Whats Citywide 2 for?  Also, the reason I asked for the kHz step is because programming on the computer (radio wise), the software prompts the user to enter the step first.  I figured that would save me some time being that I completely suck at math.

thanks again!

We do not know why there are 2 Citywides. My personal opinion is that we don't even need the one we already have. Pagers, Smartphones and SMS messaging have pretty much rendered Citywide moot, but I digress.

CW is not staffed separately, it's the Manhattan dispatcher clicking on a different button. I can't see them adding more people to run another frequency that wont get used very much.

W

W3MOT

Thanks for the info.  As far as the tactical and command channels that they are using now... will those be used after the new UHF switch (since they're UHF) or will they be replaced by new UHF frequencies?

"W3mot", this is just a guess, but I would say that the current UHF frequencies used for handie talkies would probadly stay the same. It really hasn't been too long that these UHF frequencies replaced the older VHF Handie Talkie frequencies. I believe it was shortly after 9/11 that the UHF Handie Talkie Frequencies went into affect. And it looks like pretty much everything, Fire, Police, and EMS will be UHF. I have No inside info, its just a guess.

HCO

The long-range plan calls for new EMS tactical channels to be established in the 482 MHz range.  That will put Fire and EMS base/mobile and tactical channels all in the same spectrum.  The 6.25 Kc splinter channels will be used with 12.5 Kc spacing.