News of Members

Thank you for all the Happy Birthday wishes from you great guys.

I told a few guys that I thought my grandmother was old when she turned 55. Now I wish I was that young.

Other members celebrating their Happy Birthdays this month that I know of are "68jk09" and "jbendick", who also attended the same FDNY Probie Class together as the busy War Years were just beginning .

nfd2004 said:
Thank you for all the Happy Birthday wishes from you great guys.

I told a few guys that I thought my grandmother was old when she turned 55. Now I wish I was that young.

Other members celebrating their Happy Birthdays this month that I know of are "68jk09" and "jbendick", who also attended the same FDNY Probie Class together as the busy War Years were just beginning .

Happy Birthday to Chief "68jk09" & Capt."jbendick"

Happy Belated Birthday Willy D Hope it was a good one

Also Best Wishes and Happy Birthday to come Chief "68jk09" & Capt."jbendick"

Happy Birthday Chief JK and Cap JB. Have yourselves a great day and many more. Thanks for all youse guys do for us.

And may I add Happy Birthdays To Chief JK and to Captain JB. Sorry, no burgers for you guys. Only Willie D.

For many of us here, we have a good friend who comes all the way up from Tennessee to visit us once in awhile. That member, Rev CFDMarshall, travels all that way to chit chat and have a little chow with us. Ask any of us who know him and we will all tell you what a great guy and funny character he can be. Besides that, he is a real gentleman and us northerners love his southern accent too.

But we've been checking the Rev CFD out a little and we have been coming up with one surprising fact that he never told us about. That is about his cousin Billy, from Del Rio, Texas. What we are starting to find out is that Cousin Billy was really quite famous here in the NYC area. He could be heard frequently on NYC's "66 NBC Radio Station" several years ago. Perhaps some of you remember Cousin Billy from that radio station back then. Known as "the right Rev Dr Billy Sol Hargis".

Here is Rev CFDMarshall's Cousin Billy, as we knew him back in the day. In fact many of us would start our day off listening to the Rev Hargis on our car radios in the morning while driving to work.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSJc-AkHu8

nfd2004 said:
For many of us here, we have a good friend who comes all the way up from Tennessee to visit us once in awhile. That member, Rev CFDMarshall, travels all that way to chit chat and have a little chow with us. Ask any of us who know him and we will all tell you what a great guy and funny character he can be. Besides that, he is a real gentleman and us northerners love his southern accent too.

But we've been checking the Rev CFD out a little and we have been coming up with one surprising fact that he never told us about. That is about his cousin Billy, from Del Rio, Texas. What we are starting to find out is that Cousin Billy was really quite famous here in the NYC area. He could be heard frequently on NYC's "66 NBC Radio Station" several years ago. Perhaps some of you remember Cousin Billy from that radio station back then. Known as "the right Rev Dr Billy Sol Hargis".

Here is Rev CFDMarshall's Cousin Billy, as we knew him back in the day. In fact many of us would start our day off listening to the Rev Hargis on our car radios in the morning while driving to work.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSJc-AkHu8
Looks like Cousin Billy got all the hair.

Gentlemen, among our organization here we have many members from all walks of life.

Of course we have firefighters and buffs. But also photographers, teachers, insurance reps, business owners, con ed gas and electric employees, military members, one or two minor league baseball players, postal supervisors, hospital administrators, teachers and education employees, police officers, emt's and paramedics, some college students, security guards, wrecker operators and it goes on and on.

But did you know that we also have a movie star among us. He stared with Robert DeNiro in a movie called: "A Bronx Tale" which was released in 1993. This member also spent many years as a War Years Firefighter and Officer within the FDNY before retiring. Some of those companies were the busiest and they still are today throughout the city.

As a firefighter he worked:
    Engine 96, then Squad 2 before that very busy company was disbanded. Next he was assigned to the very busy Engine 75 and also the Chiefs Aide of Batt 19.
    Promoted to the rank of Lt he was then assigned to Engine 68. Promoted to Captain he moved from the Bronx to Manhattan where he became the Commanding Officer of Engine Co 23.

That Retired FDNY member/Movie star is also the father of this web sites owner. Besides being grandfather to 14 (?) grandchildren. I am talking about site member "Jbendick". A personnel friend to many members of this site.

It took Actor/Captain "Jbendick" a total of three days to do his part in this movie which appears as a store is fire bombed and a car catches fire. In this scene, very briefly a group of firefighters are standing and it is Actor/Captain "Jbendick" that turns briefly facing the camera.

The star of the movie, Robert DeNiro, prefers to use actual firefighters or police officers when he films such scenes. The movie is based on the Belmont area of the Bronx during the 1960s.

It has always been one of my favorites. I also bought this DVD (from Amazon - ?)

Maybe we should make a Screen Actors Guild of site members ....i was in 2 movies myself...the 1st was "Shafts Big Score" filmed around 1970 or 1971 & released awhile later..there were 12 of us from the Job 10 FFs & 2 LTs & we had a new RM & a new Mack Pumper from the shops...here is a link to a poor trailer but i am the OV seen at about 08:52 getting a hook out of the rear tube then climbing the Aerial & venting & entering the 2nd fl window..the LT of the LAD was from LAD*2 so the movie people gave all the Truck guys fake # 2 fronts to wear on our Helmets & lettered the RM also....after the shoot was over at about 0300 one of the LTs said lets have some fun on the way back to the shops w/the Rigs we drove to Siegel St & since myself & two other FFs were from 108 we hid outside while the LT & the other 2 FFs (all wearing LAD*2 fronts) ran inside yelling to the HW "WTF are you guys still in qtrs for ..we are relocated here from Manhattan there is a Fourth alarm at your 1st Due box w/multiple 10-45s were you asleep?" the poor FF started running to the Rig yelling "turn out we are missing a Job" after everybody else slid the poles me & the other FFs walked in & we all started laughing........the other movie was "The Hot Rock" which was filmed around the same era ...in it the same compliment of the 2 Rigs & 12 Members respond on Eastern Pkwy to the front of the BKLYN Museum where a Mustang blows up this was much more non descript & less closeups then the 1st one.....here is the trailer link to Shafts Big Score...  http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19465362dDwh8CCG