News of Members

Happy Birthday to Eugene D., aka "EFD274".

Here is a little story about your brother Kevin, aka KFD274.

Several years ago, a few of the guys from here got together for a little chow at Donavan's (?) on Roosevelt Ave in Queens. Maybe around 2008/2009. Well, this "hick" from Ct finds a parking place right in front of the place. I thought "how great is that". What I DIDN'T read on that sign posted was the days that "No Parking is allowed" for cleaning etc.

We all had a great time and the chow was great too. BUT, when I came out, "Where's the Buff Mobile" ? It was gone. In my moment of panic, I didn't know what to do. Kevin had flagged down a passing police car and they gave us a phone number to call to find out if it was towed to the "boneyard". Sure enough it was and Kevin drove me there. I had no idea how to get there but Kevin did.

When we did get there, it was almost closing time and those gates were about to be locked up with my rig parked in there for the night. I don't remember how much they charged me to get the Buff Mobile back, but it was a lot and if I remember correctly, Brother Kevin, aka "KFD274", might have even loaned me some cash too.

The entire event was certainly a new and exciting experience for me. But I sure did appreciate what he did for me. I would have been rooming the streets or else maybe walked until I found a group of FDNY members that might have believed my story and let me spend the night at their firehouse.

mack

Administrator
Happy birthday, Kevin, and thanks for helping Bill.  It is not surprising to any of us who know Bill to hear a tale of his vehicle being towed.  It is good that he is such a good friend so he has good friends like you to take care of him. 

There are stories (which may or may not be true) and then there are Willy D stories (which are all true). 

Happy birthday.

Happy Birthday EFD274, and many more in great health and happiness.  And thanks for being Willy D's adult supervision.

Happy Birthday Gene !

( 'Willy' s Stories Never Cease to Amaze & Amuse ! )  ;)

We have some Very Special Announcements to make regarding several members of this site.

First,
We are very happy to report from an earlier post here that both Frank D, aka "fdce54" and Steve E, aka "fltpara16" are doing very well after being a little under the weather for a couple of weeks. In fact, "fltpara16" is back to work at his job as Battalion Chief in Albemarle County, Va., sporting his early retirement gift he recently got. A brand new Leather Helmet.

We also recently learned of Retired FDNY Fire Captain John B, Engine Co 23, aka "jbendick", about to become Grandpa for the 15th time. Yes folks, Number 15. It may be necessary for him to sign up again and be one of FDNYs newest Probies, just to cover the 15 Birthday Party expenses.

This also makes the owner of this site, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, aka "tbendick", an Uncle for the 13th time.

Very Special Announcement comes from our good friend Elwood E., aka "CFDMarshall". From the State of Tennessee we learn of Wedding Bells for our own Most Reverend Elwood E., aka "CFDMarshall". Yes friends "The Rev" is planning on a June Wedding. Congratulations to the Most Reverend CFDMarshall and his soon to be bride.

Word is that site member Joe M., aka "mack", spending some time riding with the busy Alexandria, Va Fire Department these days and they have decided to put him to work as well.

Finally, we learn from another thread of 15 year old "ThomasBurke17", being FDNYs Ladder Co 3s newest buff. Just like so many of us we began our interest in the FDNY in our younger days and that has continued on for so many of us. We certainly welcome him as I'm sure the members of FDNYs Ladder Co 3 do as well. We also wish him well in his efforts to become a career firefighter. It doesn't come easy these days and it requires a whole lot of work. "ThomasBurke17", I think there might be some tips on this site if you go into the Exams / Job section. Also, I am sure there are many members here on this site that would be willing to help you with that, myself included.

ThomasBurke, I was a career firefighter in a small city in Connecticut. I am not at all ashamed to tell you that it took me SIX test to do it. It wasn't really the place I wanted to be either, but I had to accept my SECOND Choice if I wanted to be a career firefighter. Now I'm here to tell you that everything worked out GREAT, despite my early disappointments.

So the Right Reverend is getting married. Uncle Wilfred, I feel a road trip coming on. I hope the Rev likes rice pudding.

A bit late but I wanted to be sure that I was still here. Back ion October 30/16 I had a heart attack. My 85 plus year old plumbing became badly clogged. Any how four stents later, the last two on December first 2016 and I am up and running. Not sure why but the good Lord is keeping me around for reasons unknown to me. My congratulations to the Bendick clan on the up coming newest addition; to the soon to be newly wed this June. That is my 86 year birthday. month. Sure a lot of water under the bridge so to speak. God bless you all.

auxlteng225 said:
Sure a lot of water under the bridge so to speak.

Didn't you mean a lot of water through the hose (pun intended)?  I'm not that far behind you (9 years).  ::)

"auxlteng225", Walter, we are very glad to hear that you are doing okay now. We haven't forgotten about you and we were hoping that "you" didn't forget about us. If I remember correctly, you have quite a story to tell about those 86 years.
  A Retired Police Officer from upstate NY
  A member of the U.S. Navy for Four Years
  A Merchant Marine bringing supplies into our troops who were fighting in the Viet Nam War. A pretty dangerous place to be.
  An Auxiliary Member of the FDNYs Eng 225.
  I think a Volunteer Firefighter as well

Don't feel too bad about being kind of old on here. Yes Walter, you may be the senior man here, but you have plenty of company when it comes to senior citizens here. Not only our friend "raybrag", but a lot more.

I know a lot of these senior members and I know a lot of their stories. Like you, they too have some pretty impressive stories to tell. 

As I see it, there's a lot of senior guys here that have paved the way for the people of America. Whether it was in the military, doing their jobs, or raising a family. So many have benefited today because of the work and effort that these senior citizens have done for us.

nfd2004 et al: thanks for the kind words and come backs. Regarding the volley duty. Yes, that too with the Spring Valley NY FD from 1968 to present although now inactive living up here in the mountains. I finished up as Chief 1987 - 1989 with combined EM and fire calls of 1042 87-88 & 1053 88-89. Those were our war years. Had two years as battalion chief and two years as deputy chief prior to the chief and was still working with the Haverstraw PD as a Sergeant as the same time. Kind of kept me busy By the way, a little advice to the new fellow now buffing L3. Just remember that what happens there and is said there stays there.

The book titled: "Perfect Strangers: Friendship, Strength, and Recovery After Boston's Worst Day" by Roseann Sdoia, has been released. It is the story of how an innocent bystander lost her leg due to a terrorist who set off a home made bomb and a Boston Firefighter who saved her life. Now a wedding is planned for October.

That Boston Firefighter who saved Roseann's life is the son of site member "mack", aka Joe M. The author of this sites most viewed thread called: "FDNY and NYC Firehouses" in the History Section. Currently weighing in at well "OVER A HALF MILLION" Views.

We have a Very Special Announcement to make. But first you are asked to click on this youtube link below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpm2VjT05fo

Dearly Beloved and friends of Nycfire.net.

We are gathered here as we have recently learned of the upcoming wedding later this month (May 28th) of our good friend "CFDMarshall", aka "The Reverend", aka Elwood E., from the far away place called Tennessee. The Reverend will marry a very lucky lady he once knew from way back in his good ole' college days. That goes back, well actually, quite a long time ago.

Elwood is known to many of us on this site and has made a few visits all the way up here to the NYC area to say hello to many of his friends. The only problem when that happens is sometimes between his Tennessee accent and a few Brooklyn accents, "nobody really knows what anybody is really talking about". But we all still just have a great time together anyway.

Actually Elwood, we really just wish you and the Mrs many, many, Happy and Healthy Years together on your upcoming wedding. BEST WISHES MY FRIEND.

Uncle Wilfred