News of Members

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, I really appreciate it. Just returned home tonight from a 16 day trip with the bride to Northern Europe. Very happy to be back in Tennessee!

An INTERESTING QUOTE comes from site member "68jk09".

The quote can be found in the "Manhattan Section" under - "Manhattan All Hands Under Control Box 0932 (6/29/2017)". It is a brief discussion between "68jk09", aka Jack K., and "johnd248", aka John D.

That quote is;
  "When I was 15 I wished I was 10 years older so I could be On The Job (OTJ) as the War Years were starting to take off". "But now I wish I was 10 years younger so I could still be OTJ".

I suspect there might be a few others who may feel the same way.

Congrats to Lieutenant Tom Bendick on getting a spot at Engine 66 in Co-op City.  Well deserved.  As you know, Tom is the administrator/owner of this fantastic site.  Notification was on today's department order.

Congratulations Lt glad to have you in the neighborhood. Hopefully  I'll see you around.

CONGRATULATIONS BROTHER....BEST OF LUCK.... http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2017/061_sup_39_2017.pdf

Congratulations Lt and thanks for all you've done for us.

That's GREAT NEWS to hear that you have an assigned fire company. Have a safe one.

As a firefighter, then FF Bendick spent his time at Engine 65 in midtown

As covering Lt has was assigned to Engine 93/Ladder 45 for awhile, and also to the Fire Academy, where he served in various positions at The Rock. 

Prior to joining the FDNY, Lt Bendick worked as an EMT with the NYC EMS before the merger into the FDNY. 

I guess at times, some of us view the members of this web site as part of a special family. Over the years we get to know each other. It might be through emails, private messages, phone calls, and in some cases, guys have traveled long distances to meet up. We have become good friends and in some cases we even know their own family members.

It is a great family outside of our own family members. I guess you might compare it to the type of family you might find among a group of firefighters in a tightly knit firehouse. We talk a lot, we laugh a lot and we worry about each other or try to help them when the time comes.

We come from all backgrounds and each of us have our own stories to tell. That family all started with this web site. Just a bunch of guys that had a common interest.

Like all families, when a member is a little under the weather, we tend to be a little concerned. Such has been the case of site member "manhattan", aka Frank M.

I recently learned that Frank M., had surgery and later developed pneumonia. But the good news is Frank is home now recovering. But I'm sure it will take some time.

Let me tell you just a little bit of what I know about our friend who calls himself "manhattan". As his name states, he DOES live in Manhattan. Frank is a veteran of the U.S. Military (I think Marines). He is retired now where I believe he was once a Chief Administrator for a major hospital in NYC. I can tell you based on what I've seen, he is very well respected by both the members of the FDNY and the NYPD.

My first brief meeting with Frank was on Veterans Day last year. There he organizes a tribute to Honor the Veterans at a Memorial in his neighborhood in lower Manhattan. During that service he has guest speakers invited to talk. A wreath is placed at that Memorial. It is attended by citizens as well as members of the FDNY and NYPD within that local area. Last year when I was there, one citizen spoke to me who was a Viet Nam Veteran. He spoke of how THANKFUL he was for what Frank does in Honoring the U.S. Military Veterans in this neighborhood.

Every year since 9/11, Frank also organizes the Father Mychal Judge Walk. In prior years the late NYPD Officer Steven McDonald, a paraplegic from being shot while on duty, would help him and travel along the walk in his wheelchair.

Frank has certainly contributed his share to society today. Like all the members of our Nycfire Family, we wish him well and a full recovery. Frank is already beginning to organize the Veterans Day Event and Father Michal Judge Walk. He ask that any of our members who might be able to attend join him in these events.

Dates are set with more details to follow. All taking place in Manhattan:
  Sunday September 10th - Father Michal Judge Walk
  Saturday November 11th - Veterans Day

Thanks Frank for what you do. I know that there are many active and retired members of the NYPD, FDNY, and Military, on this site who certainly appreciate what you do as well.