News of Members

We have a few very Special Announcements that have occurred recently.

FIRST - ONCE AGAIN, Congratulations to FDNY Retired Captain John B., aka "jbendick", and his wife Madeline on the birth of their "FIFTEENTH" Grandchild. Yes folks - that is Number 15. A healthy baby girl born on September 9th, named - Emily.

So a Very Special Congratulations to Grandpa and Grandma "jbendick'. How many other Grandpa's and Grandma's do you know with 15 grandchildren.

Of course that also must mean that the administrator of this site, Lt Tommy B, also becomes "UNCLE" Tommy B for about the Thirteenth (13th) time.

But wait, there's more news:

On September 14th, 1968, Grandpa "jbendick" began the FDNY Probie School together with FDNY Probie Jack K., aka "68jk09", now Retired B/C. Then on that same September 14th, back 14 years ago, then FDNY Probie Tommy B, aka "tbendick", began his FDNY career now known as, Lt Tommy B.

There's more to add to the story. But that part of it will be continued another day. So we'll see ya all later - K. 

Congratulations to the Bendick Family...Health & Happiness  .......49 years ago John Sr. , myself & 248 other probys were sweating out our first week of the six week proby School on Welfare Island ......i would turn the clock back in a minute if i could.

A few very special events coming up involving some of our members of this site.

1) As I understand it, FDNY Retired Capt John B., aka "jbendick", is about to become a grandfather for the "SIXTEENTH" Time - sometime in December. I don't know of anybody else who can claim that fame.

2) Regarding the above, that would also mean that FDNY Lt Tommy B., aka "tbendick", would become an uncle for the "FOURTEENTH" Time.

3) Our Most Valuable Player, Mike D., aka "mikeindabronx", is about to reach his 20,000 post soon. He is now less than 200 away from that historic number.

4) The most viewed thread on this site, "FDNY and NYC Firehouses", originally started by and continually updated by Member Joe M., aka "mack", is right now about 100 views away from reaching the historic number of 700,000 views.

I personally know each one of these individuals. They all are what I consider to be; "Top Shelf Guys". 

Saturday, October 21, 2017 will be a very special day for this site member "mack", aka Joe M. On that day, his son Mike, a Boston Firefighter, will be getting married to the woman he met on a very tragic day at the Boston Marathon, I think about three years ago.

But as a result of that very tragic event, Mike will be marrying the woman, Roseann S., that he kept alive while being transported to the hospital in a police van. The wedding will be taking place in Massachusetts.

We wish the couple, Mike and Roseann, many happy and healthy years together. Brought together by that very tragic event.

And of course congratulations goes out to our friend "mack" as well, who just happens to claim fame to this sites MOST VIEWED THREAD - "NYC Firehouses...." (I think over 700,000 views now). 

Here is a brief story done by one of the news channels, as both Mike and Roseann, climbed the stairs to the top floor of the Empire State Building for a disability charity.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDkHcLdP0Vk 

After just posting the Fire Activity for October, 2017, I am greatly THANKFUL to Three Members of this site who's names regularly show up. They are the most active members on here for taking the time to post the rundowns of many of the jobs that the FDNY handles throughout the year.

They are:
"mikeindabronx"
"Signal 73"
"firephish"

Special Thank you to you guys on a job well done. If not for you, there would be "NO Monthly Fire Activity Reports" posted. Of course there are other members who have also done their share as well. Thanks to you guys too.

I guess as we look at it, just like a part of a firehouse family, we all have our gifted talents. Some guys are good doing Ladder company work. Other guys do better on the Engine company. Whether it's stretching that line or opening up that roof, we all kind of depend on each other to make it all work out.

Just like here. Some guys like to list the job rundowns. Some guys are better posting stories about the history of the FDNY. Some guys write about our military and some write about the songs some of us remember. It wouldn't at all be possible if so many guys didn't take the time to do what they do best.

Many of us have gotten to be good friends over the years and it all started here. Just last month, one of those guys, "Irish", aka Declan B., made a trip to the U.S.A. coming all the way from his homeland of Dublin, Ireland. He visited not only some of his friends in the NYC area, but along the entire East Coast as well. And it all started because of this and his interest in the fire dept., particularly the FDNY, just like so many others here.

We are young and old, fire buffs and firefighters, volunteer or city paid, active or retired. We are Chiefs and Military Officers. We are Security guards and 911 dispatchers, EMTs and Medics. We work in Hospitals and police stations. We drive a taxi or a wrecker. But when it's all put together, our own life experiences, our backgrounds, and our own talents come together to make this all fit into place.

Thank You for the shout out Uncle Willy....just trying to continue on from what the "Old Timers" started

Like I tell my friends co workers & others buff who are not on this site. Some people do word searches others do cross word puzzles. I Write FDNY unit run downs in a note book & post them on this site.

Keep up the good work everyone

Welcome one of our newest members, "NYCFireAudio". Recently provided us with audio of a few jobs already.

I don't know about anybody else, "but I'm getting more hooked on this stuff everyday". The latest cold weather isn't helping either.

nfd2004 said:
Special Thanks goes out to site member "mack" for the EXCELLENT JOB he has done with this sites most viewed thread, "FDNY and NYC Firehouses". That thread is quickly approaching the 600,000 views mark.

I don't know of anywhere else that anybody would find so much information, not only on the history of each FDNY Firehouse, but also so much info on it's members that have served there over the years, the apparatus assigned, and even the company patches.

He works a fulltime job yet still finds time to post this huge amount of history of the largest fire dept in the country - "The FDNY".

The Most Viewed thread on this site has been "FDNY and NYC Firehouses", when on December 5, 2017 that thread became "locked" for some reason. "mack" or anybody else was unable to post any additional information or facts to it. Our "Most Popular Thread" was now in a locked position as it was listed at well over 700,000 views.

In addition, as I understood it, "mack" had much more FDNY Firehouse Histories he wanted to add. But at this point, that was an impossible task to do.

Then on New Years Eve, December 31, 2017 "mack" did the next best thing. He started an entire new thread called: FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section". Adding the term "2nd Section" brought back memories of the history of FDNY Fire Companies in itself. From the very busy FDNY War Years of the late 60s and into the 1970s, when sometimes those fire companies were so busy that there were two fully manned engine companies or two ladder companies running as totally separate units from the same firehouse.

The idea was to continue with the same kind of quality work listing more of those FDNY Fire Companies and Firehouses in this newer version of "FDNY and NYC Firehouses - 2nd Section". Once again this newer version has become a very popular thread. I think most of us who have viewed it would agree it's easy to understand why.

The most recent Firehouse and Fire Company listed has been FDNYs Squad 41. The amount of work and research that went into that one story alone would overwhelm many of us. The photos, the stories, the videos all put together from scratch. To me, I'm sure many others as well, this is truly amazing. What A GREAT JOB and THANK YOU "mack", aka Joe M.

Also in that Squad 41 story is a couple of photos of another very good friend of so many here. That is Retired FDNY B/C Jake K., aka "68jk09". Chief K served as Lt in Squad 41. A busy place for fires during a very difficult time for the FDNY and trying to keep this firehouse open.
I also believe that Retired Member Garrett L., aka "69METS", spent many years there as well.
Both GREAT GUYS and certainly respected within the FDNY.

Some of us from this site also visited that firehouse last Fall as well. As we walked up to that firehouse, they were just coming back from another run. Then they made two more runs. One was a reported pin job from a car accident and the other was a reported man under a train. We spent a lot of time with the Lt and he explained the operation of the company and answered many questions we had.

As I look back to the older-original Fire Company and Firehouses thread it is approaching 800,000 views. The man responsible for ALL of that is Joe M., known here as "mack". A good personnel friend to many of us.

THANKS "mack". An Excellent piece of work that you've done for us. 

While going through a couple of jobs posted here I came across the job posted of Brooklyn Box 3294 at 2437 East 27th St on 2/20/18.

I noticed a few pictures posted on a link by "jciscone". He is listed as a newbie with about 19 post. I also know that he has a web site, www.cisconefirephotos.smugmug.com where he post pictures of many of the jobs he takes in and around the New Haven County area of Connecticut. About 60 miles outside of NYC.

Joe, aka "jciscone", is certainly NO newbie to this hobby as well as the fire service. Joe is a great guy who also has about 30 years, maybe more, as a firefighter in East Haven, Ct.

I also understand that he grew up in Brooklyn, NY for you guys out there who might know where that place is.

Good to see you here Joe. I didn't forget that you still owe me that Dunks coffee you promised me awhile ago.

Uncle Wilfred

Latest news of Our Most Valuable Player Mike D., aka "mikeindabronx".

As many of you know Mike has been taking pictures of members of the FDNY and the many jobs he's been to over the last few decades. He's published a book about it called; "New York's Bravest - Their Lives on the Line". And he also has his own great web site of pictures from the busiest years of the FDNY to our most recent years.

Very often at his own expense he makes up photos for members that have been at the hundreds of fires he's covered. Also he'll make up photos for the fire company operating as a group to be displayed in the firehouse.

Recently in appreciation for the work that Mike has done, the members of Engine Co 62 and Ladder Co 32 presented him with a plaque they made up for him. As I understand it, this plaque has a helmet front piece on it, with the 62/32 company symbol.

Congratulations Mike on your many years of dedicated work within the FDNY, putting your special photography skills together for so many of us to appreciate. Your photos have recorded some of the most historic years in the history of the FDNY.

I think it's safe to say that the members of Engine 62 and Ladder 32 speak for ALL of us in appreciation for the work that you do. A man who is very well respected by the members of the FDNY, buffs and many of us who know him personally.

We Thank you Mike for what you do and I hope that you proudly display that plaque for everyone to see. We are also very grateful for what the members of 62/32 have done as well. 

Once again, here is the web site that Mike has put together for all of us to enjoy.

www.fdnysbravest.com

nfd2004 said:
While going through a couple of jobs posted here I came across the job posted of Brooklyn Box 3294 at 2437 East 27th St on 2/20/18.

I noticed a few pictures posted on a link by "jciscone". He is listed as a newbie with about 19 post. I also know that he has a web site, www.cisconefirephotos.smugmug.com where he post pictures of many of the jobs he takes in and around the New Haven County area of Connecticut. About 60 miles outside of NYC.

Joe, aka "jciscone", is certainly NO newbie to this hobby as well as the fire service. Joe is a great guy who also has about 30 years, maybe more, as a firefighter in East Haven, Ct.

I also understand that he grew up in Brooklyn, NY for you guys out there who might know where that place is.

Good to see you here Joe. I didn't forget that you still owe me that Dunks coffee you promised me awhile ago.

Uncle Wilfred

It is also Joe?s Birthday today.  Happy 30th birthday Joe.  (I?ll short ya a couple years ;) )