News of Members

69 METS said:
I wonder if anyone I know was on duty when this photo was taken? http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/snYAAOxyBvZTRX2B/s-l1600.jpg

That goes way back to my young Probie Days.

That firehouse, located at 24 Chestnut St, was referred to as "The Big House". I think it was built in 1896 and still had the hayloft in place up until the mid 1980s. When that area was then converted to a regional fire dispatch center, dispatching 15 separate fire departments.

In 1992, a new firehouse was built leaving only one engine in that firehouse. The 12 junior members of the dept and 4 bosses were assigned to that firehouse covering each shift with One Boss and Two Firefighters. Another firefighter would be assigned to the fire dispatching on a rotating basis. The 12 junior members became known as "The Dirty Dozen". With the paint chips falling off the wall, it really didn't matter too much if a little dust wasn't picked up during the morning cleaning duties. Unlike being assigned to that brand new, spotless firehouse.

The engine that was assigned there was referred to as Squad "A". On a much smaller scale, it operated similar to the FDNY Squad Companies. They covered their own first due response area, as well as being assigned to all the working fires in the Norwich FD district. All the extrication equipment was carried on it as well.

Squad A was located in the busiest part of the city. For a young firefighter, it was the "perfect place" to be. The moral among the guys was very high. They learned quickly and worked closely together.

I don't have the exact date but about one year after that new firehouse opened, as we began the night tour and 1800 hours came, we were told to shut the lights off, lock the doors, and move to our new home. Joining another Engine Co and Ladder Co.

The days of "The Dirty Dozen" had come to an end. The Chief of Department had given me the key earlier with the instructions to lock up and move to the new firehouse. At that time a new 911 Dispatch center at the Police Dept would take over all fire dept dispatching for those 15 departments. The city would replace those firefighters with civilian dispatchers. But throughout it all, no firefighters got laid off. 

All of us assigned there really didn't want to leave. I think it is safe to say that EVERYONE of us assigned there, would do it all over again if we could. All of the officers assigned there have since retired. I believe there's only one guy left of the Dirty Dozen who hasn't retired yet, nicknamed "Espo". But retirement is in the near future for him.

That picture sure brought back some great memories for me. I still keep in touch with some of those Dirty Dozen guys and I'll be sure to pass this onto them.

Thanks Garrett, aka "69Mets", for posting it.

69 METS said:
Glad it brought back good memories Bill.

It sure did Garrett. THANK YOU - "I sure loved working in that firehouse'. I'm sure you've heard that saying; "If you love your job, you never work a day in your life". That was me. I'm sure you and some other guys here can relate to that too.

And from your original post with that picture, comes News of ANOTHER MEMBER who plays a Big part on this web site.

That member being "fdhistorian", aka Ignatius K., nick named just "Iggy" for short.

I had met "Iggy" at a fire dept function a few years ago here in Connecticut. But "Iggy" was no stranger to me many years before that.

Iggy actually wrote the book on firehouses. That book titled "American Fire Services" was first published in 1983. I believe there were also two updates later published.

That huge book listed the addresses of thousands of firehouses throughout America. It also listed firehouses that had been closed over the years. Any of us that have been following the most popular thread on this site, "NYC Firehouses..." would know that "fdhistorian", aka "Iggy", has played a role in part of that. But I'm sure most of us did NOT know about his book.

That book became a big part of my life as my wife and I would take our yearly vacations. Our vacations would be two-fold. We would visit various points of interest on some days, while some days I would visit various firehouse and she would go to the beach or sit by the pool at the hotel. We had GREAT times together and I was sure a lucky guy to be married to a wife like that for 35 very happy years, before she passed away.

We visited many cities together such as Philadelphia and Pittsburg, Pa., Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio., Washington, DC and a few of the surrounding County FDs., Orlando and Orange Co FDs, Buffalo and Syracuse, NY, even Los Angeles City and L.A County Fire Depts.

I also used that book to find some of the firehouses a little closer to my home such as Newark and Jersey City FDs, Yonkers FD, Boston FD, and as close as Hartford.

I considered "Iggy's" book "The Bible of Firehouses". I used it so many times and without that it would have been much more difficult for me to find those hundreds of firehouses I visited. I enjoyed talking to the guys and I would always try to get a couple of rig shots.

I sure owe a Big Thanks to "fdhistorian", aka Iggy, for that book which I still have today some 34 years later.

(I hope you're not tired of reading yet because there's more)..............................................

I need to correct two reply's here which I posted earlier;

**** First, "Iggy" sent me a message regarding my comment in Reply # 668. The firehouse at 24 Chestnut St was actually built in 1904, NOT 1896, as I had reported. I think I got that confused with another firehouse built in that city (Eng 2s qtrs.). In fact, there was a poem written about Eng 2s firehouse. Part of that poem went:

"The big old red building - built in 1896, it's location North Main St, number 446".

*** Number 2 - correction.
  In reply # 660, referring to site member "manhattan", aka Frank M., I need to correct a few things that I had mentioned.

Frank was a UNIT Administrator within a NYC hospital, but he wanted us to know that he was NOT the "Chief" Administrator of that hospital. Also that he served in the United States Coast Guard, not in the U.S. Marines as I had reported.

In addition and he wanted to make this very clear -  that he is NOT the Main Organizer of the Father Judge Walk. That belonged to the late NYPD Officer Steven McDonald who was the major source behind that Walk. Franks words are: "Steve did NOT help me, quite the opposite".

During that walk, "manhattan" plays a part in the NYPD presence at 7th Ave and 19th St, at the quarters of Eng 3/Lad 12/Batt 7.

I THANK both "fdhistorian", aka "Iggy" and "manhattan", aka Frank M., for correcting my earlier statements. Both great contributors to this site, as well as greatly respected individuals off this site.

Shouldn't this Front have Golden Arches in the middle ?........  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dennis-MA-Cape-Cod-Fire-Dept-Helmet-Cairns-Sanitary-W-Liner/391841721699

68jk09 said:
Shouldn't this Front have Golden Arches in the middle ?........  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dennis-MA-Cape-Cod-Fire-Dept-Helmet-Cairns-Sanitary-W-Liner/391841721699

Chief, I don't know for sure, but I think "The Golden Arches" is a feature that greatly increases the value of this helmet.

I heard a similar case happened recently on ebay. A woman bought what was supposed to be "Moon Dust" taken from Man's First Step on the Moon. I think she paid about $9,000 for it. In order to find out if it was real or not, she sent it to NASA where they confirmed it ACTUALLY WAS "Moon Dust" collected from the First Moon walk.

NASA told her it can't be returned. She took her case to court and won. She is now offering That REAL MOON DUST on ebay for $3 to $4 MILLION DOLLARS. (TRUE STORY). I heard that on CBS News Radio 88, just the other day. But then again - "Maybe it is FAKE NEWS" ??????

But if that helmet was ever to come with "The Golden Arches", I wonder what it's value would be on ebay. Maybe even MORE than that Moon Dust.

A very Happy Birthday goes out to site member Steve E., aka "fltpara16".

Steve is a GREAT GUY and a very Good Friend to many of us here.

Steve is currently a Battalion Chief with the Albemarle County Fire Dept in Virginia. Last I heard he has about 2-3 more years to go to be eligible for retirement from that job.

To understand the job that B/C Steve E. does is really quite impressive. While on duty, Steve is the commanding officer of the entire on duty shift. The area he covers is roughly the same size area as Westchester County, NY. I've been told that sometimes his responses take 25 minutes to show up on the scene from the time of the original call. I guess as most of us would know, "a 10-12 is surely needed be given by the first arriving company".

I guess another example of that would be the response of FDNYs Squad 1 heading down the BQE to the far end of Staten Island. Generally about 25 minutes as well.

Besides being the entire shift commander, his serves as a paramedic when needed.

Steve has also been a Flight Paramedic on a Medi Vac Helicopter over the years. I think it's a pretty safe statement to say "there's a lot of people alive today because of Steve E", on here known simply as "fltpara16".

Thanks Steve for what you do and I hope you have a very Happy Birthday.

Uncle Wilfred

We have a very Special Birthday Announcement to make today.

Happy Birthday to OUR GOOD FRIEND who got this whole thing started, FDNY LT Tommy Bendick. Without him none of us would be here enjoying this GREAT Website.

Happy Birthday Tom, from your Uncle Wilfred. THANKS VERY MUCH for putting this whole thing together. As you know, in my own case, I have gotten to meet a GREAT GROUP OF GUYS. Active and Retired Firefighters. As well as BUFFS like myself, from all walks of life. Some very highly respectable walks of life and contributors to our society. 

Tom has a GREAT FAMILY. He's a good daddy. I know his whole family - THEY REALLY ARE THE BEST.

ANYWAY WAY - Simply put - HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZmPHJPvZE

Happy birthday Sir! May you have a joyous day. Be safe, be well and thank you for all you do, both here and on the job. God Bless you!