News of Members

For the members who might have missed it, in reply # 31 of the Brooklyn 5th Alarm Box 3005, posted 4/17/2019, member "STAjo", aka Joe W., posted a brief story about his user name on the site as it related to the area of the Brooklyn 5th.

He told us that the user name of "STAjo" originated from Saint Thomas Aquinas where he attended school and mass for 8 years.

He also says that he was kicked off the alter boys for smoking cigarettes and hanging out with "the Never Do Wells". He was invited to leave that fine institution entity for constant misbehavior and poor attendance in the 7th grade.

"STAjo", I can tell you that you are NOT alone. At least in my case you're not. I was certainly NO HONOR STUDENT. But as I look back on those days, I hate to admit it, but if things could work out the same way today as it did those 50 plus years ago, "I'd do it all over again".

In my case it was either be a "brain surgeon" or a "fireman". For me, I think becoming a fireman was a lot more harder. But I think being a fireman was probably a lot more fun.

Thanks Joe for your story.

Thanks, Bill.  8)
Good Choice; Thanks for your Years of Service.

Ya' left-out the part where I mentioned that some of the ' N'ere-do-wells' are now
Ret. FDNY  ;)

So yesterday i met up with John Bendick Jr in Dublin to show him 2 of Dublin's Fire Stations. The 1st was DFB's HQ in Tara Street home of 2 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Chief, 2 Ambulances, 1 Foam Unit, 2 Field Comms and 1 EMS Logistics Unit. Of course as those who know John Jr will know all he wanted to see was the Engines. "Firefighters work in Engines"

We were shown around 1 of the Engines by FF Ilya who hails from Russia but now living in Ireland and who was on OT in Tara St but stationed out in Finglas in the North Side of the city. His knowledge of all things in the Irish Fire Service and the Paramedic role was second to none. I think John was impressed by one or two aspects of things done in Ireland and in return he showed FF Ilya how to carry a set of Irons. When we arrived the station had its complete front line on station but that didn't last long as both ambulances were out the door

After that we headed for a pub lunch and then out to another Station on Dublin's Southside. Rathfarnham Fire Station located in leafy suburban Dublin is home to 1 Engine and 1 Ambulance. The reason to stop off was they had just taken delivery of 1 of Dublin's 3 New Scania P320 Fire Engines

Met at the door by a Jr FF with 2yrs OTJ we were then greeted by the S/O (Capt) who then called 3 other FF's down to meet us. John was given the once over of the Ambulance (while it was on station) and then the New Rig. 3 great FF's who spent alot of time with us breaking balls and having their balls broken in return. They even stuck John Jr into the bosses seat in the rig and brought the rig around the block.

John Jr in the bosses seat..... who would ever have thought?!?

John B Jr, a little advice here from a guy who knows.

If Declan, aka "Irish", suggest you guys go find yourselves a couple of Irish ladies to meet, "you're really kinda on your own".

All of us back here who know Declan will confirm that he is one GREAT GUY.  He knows a lot about the FDNY and I'm very sure a lot about how the fire dept operates over there in Dublin.

But when it comes to talking to a few ladies that like to talk about other things, "even though he tries, he just can't seem to stay awake".

nfd2004 said:
John B Jr, a little advice here from a guy who knows.

If Declan, aka "Irish", suggest you guys go find yourselves a couple of Irish ladies to meet, "you're really kinda on your own".

All of us back here who know Declan will confirm that he is one GREAT GUY.  He knows a lot about the FDNY and I'm very sure a lot about how the fire dept operates over there in Dublin.

But when it comes to talking to a few ladies that like to talk about other things, "even though he tries, he just can't seem to stay awake".

Thankfully Willie D John Jr doesn't believe those stories of me falling asleep at the bar. I still think you made that up as it was well past your bed time and you were seeing things  :D

I met up with John Jr again last Thursday in a pub in Dublin City. He was there with his Mom and wife to Capt Bendick who had just completed a great day at Trinity College and seeing the Book of Kells and Trinity Library. Capt Bendicks wife was meeting up with a cousin of hers and her husband. So we had a good night....Men talking all things FD and the ladies having a family catch up.

It turns out the Daughter of Capt Bendicks wife's cousin is quiet the Fire Buff herself currently living Stateside and doesn't pass a Fire Station without knocking on the door. So it runs in the family blood  ;D

Sadly it was the last i could see of the Bendick's as i was flying to the UK on the Friday to head to our equivalent of Superbowl. Im sure John and the Bendicks will be back next year and i look forward to seeing them again

nfd2004 said:
Welcome to a couple of "newer" members and contributors to our site.

1) "Lebby", (Phil D), and "skylerfire" - for their latest contributions, including the listing of the entire Newark, NJ Fire apparatus and vehicle fleet. Nice job. Thank you.
    I believe "Lebby" is with the FDNY/EMS.
    "skylerfire" - frequently contributes to this site the rundowns of incidents in the Newark/Jersey City areas. As most of us know, a very busy area.

2) "skylerfire" also contributed the listing of the entire Jersey City Fire Apparatus and vehicles as well.

3) "truckman" - who we learn in the General Discussion area that he is a firefighter in Los Angelus County, Calif. We don't have too many guys from that part of the country. So thank you for your contributions, especially regarding the info you gave us regarding the amount of hose carried on L.A. County Engines. "truckman" states he has been on the job since 1992.

4) "FairfaxFirePhotography" - thank you for your info and rundowns of the Fairfax County (Va) Fire Dept. I've been there once or twice myself and it's a busy area. Going back several years, I remember when the Fairfax County FD was one of the first to introduce "Paramedic Engines", having a paramedic/firefighter riding the rig.
Fairfax County FD was also one of three Urban Search + Rescue teams to respond to Bridgeport, Ct in 1987, when a 12 story building collapsed while under construction. They worked side by side with members of the FDNY and Dade County FDs in the very early days of those USAR Teams. 

THANK YOU GUYS. Hope you will continue to contribute and enjoy this site.

Oh wow, didn?t expect to see my username there. Fairfax is typically a busy area just not as busy as the FDNY, only around 100,000 calls/year. The Paramedic idea expanded further and now every single fire apparatus has at least 1 medic on board. Come on down sometime! Guys are real friendly here. (NoVa drivers are another story).  ;D

Member Joe Walsh, aka "STAjo" reports that he has been in the process of moving from Kingston, NY to Binghamton, NY and does NOT have use of the internet at this time.

He wants to advise us that he is alive and well but misses what's been going on here.

He does expect to have it shortly and we certainly understand.

Recently, this site was down for several hours during some routine maint. It actually took longer than expected and many of us were trying to deal with our own "withdrawal symptoms".

Yes agreed! With the hours ticking by and no explanation as to what happened and no means to contact anyone I started to shiver,my breathing -becoming difficult, I felt all alone,no where to turn,like the world was just cold and empty,
Well not exactly that but close enough.

Hey Gang ! I've Finally Settled-In to my new Binghamton Apt. after Weeks of
Bangin' around trying to get Re-located.

I had been occasionally able to drop-in & see what's happening here...
now I'm in the New Otr.s w/ Regular Internet Service; (Finally!) You can once again expect
to see all my 'thoughtful insights' and 'compelling commentary'.  ;)
Really: Glad to be back 'Home' w/you & back on the Site.  8)

Many Thanks to Our 'Uncle Willy' for keeping you, & I, In-the-Loop.  :)

nfd2004 said:
Congratulations to grandson and nephew, John "T", of the Bendick Family on his new job with the FDNY/EMS. He was sworn in today (February 11th) and he will begin his training at Fort Totten in Queens by the end of the month.

John "T" is a great young guy and I have confidence that he will be an asset to the FDNY/EMS, as well as the citizens and visitors to New York City.

I understand that his previous place of employment gave him a party in appreciation for the job he did during that employment. Even a few employees who were off for the day stopped by to wish John "T" all the best.

Of course his grandfather, Retired FDNY Capt John Bendick, and his uncle Active FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, are the administrators of this web site.

Best Wishes John "T" for a safe and happy career with the FDNY/EMS.

STAjo said:
Hey Gang ! I've Finally Settled-In to my new Binghamton Apt. after Weeks of
Bangin' around trying to get Re-located.

I had been occasionally able to drop-in & see what's happening here...
now I'm in the New Otr.s w/ Regular Internet Service; (Finally!) You can once again expect
to see all my 'thoughtful insights' and 'compelling commentary'.  ;)
Really: Glad to be back 'Home' w/you & back on the Site.  8)

Many Thanks to Our 'Uncle Willy' for keeping you, & I, In-the-Loop.  :)

Joe, aka STAjo", glad that you have finally been able to settle in and join us once again. We hope to hear from you once again and Thank You for your contributions here.

IN ADDITION, regarding the above quote about John T, grandson to our site administrator, Retired Capt John Bendick.
John T has completed his training for the FDNY/EMS at Fort Totten. That training began on February 11th and he will graduate on Thursday June 6th. Almost FOUR months in the process.

Even though John T was already an EMT, the FDNY/EMS required him to go through that certification again, teaching their new members the way it is done in New York City. John T, DIDN'T just walk into this job. It was a very long process and series of test to get there BEFORE he even started. But throughout that entire training period, John T maintained very high test scores.

During those months of training, the class was broken down into TWO Groups. One group attending DAY Classes and the other group attending EVENING Classes. John was a part of those EVENING Classes.

During his final training weeks he was assigned to ride TWO (?) Evenings per week with members from FDNY/EMS Stations 15 and 19 in the Bronx (very busy areas as some of us know).

Some of the members here know John T., and I certainly respect him for the job he will be taking on. To me, "I consider John T a credit to his generation". He will certainly earn his pay out there and have a direct impact on saving hundreds of human lives of residents and visitors to NYC over the years. 

John T has been assigned to the very busy FDNY/EMS Station 19 on Jerome Ave in the Bronx. The former quarters of the very busy FDNYs Engine 75, Ladder 33, and Battalion 19. The same busy firehouse that his grandfather, Retired Captain John Bendick (site Administrator) worked years ago as a firefighter on Engine 75 and Battalion 19 Chiefs aide.

John T has also been assigned the same badge number as his grandfather - BADGE # 3119.

We wish John T and all the other members of this FDNY/EMS graduating class a Safe and Enjoyable Career. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE JOB YOU ARE ABOUT TO BEGIN. Your skills, training, and dedication could mean the difference between "Life or Death". We are ALL depending on you.

Congratulations to John T. and to my friend and fellow 'Animal House' alumni Captain John Bendick.