News of Members

nfd2004 said:
We welcome back home NYCfire.net Administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick and his wife Madeline. The Mrs did all the driving, round trip, from Yonkers, NY to just outside of Miami, Fla where they went to visit members of the family, including three of their grandchildren. One being the latest member.

BUT....."there's more".

Hearing about the Birthday of my good buff buddy, 96 year old Ken Kelly (see Our Military thread), Kenny and I were invited to join them for a Pepes Pizza in Yonkers.
John and Madeline hadn't even gotten home yet when they meet us there. We were also joined by other members of the family.

But....."wait there's even more".

After the Pizza Birthday Party, they invited us over the house for coffee before driving back to Connecticut. To our SURPRISE was a Birthday cake with candles and everybody sang Happy Birthday to Kenny on his 96th Birthday Celebration.

Driving on the way home, Kenny told me "this was one of the BEST Birthdays he ever had".

Thank you to all those who sent Kenny a Happy Birthday card and of course Thank you to the Bendick Family for making my ole' Buff Buddy's 96th Birthday so SPECIAL.

THERE'S MORE...........

About a week or two ago, Kenny and I were in a Dunkin Donuts having a coffee and two Bridgeport Police Officers stopped in. We started talking and the topic came up that Kenny's birthday was coming and he would be 96 years old. They asked where he lived and he told them. His apartment building is only about a block from Bridgeport Police Headquarters.

This evening (2/24), he got a knock on his door. It was those two cops, plus the rest of the squad, including the Lt and Sgt with a birthday card for him. Inside that card was a gift card from Dunkin Donuts for $100.00.

What a CLASS ACT !!!

These days we hear about all the wrongs that cops do. But we don't hear about these stories.

A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO THOSE MEMBERS OF THE BRIDGEPORT (Ct) POLICE DEPT.

I know that both myself and Kenny respect you for the job you do.

THANK You and God Bless you ALL.

WELL SAID, BILL!!

Those two cops should get medals for their attention to Community Affairs Policing and simple goodness.  Medals and other recognitions shouldn't be given only for the "headline making" acts of goodness but for such thoughtfulness as you've described here.

God Bless Kenny, you and all concerned!

A little more to add to Ken Kelly's story.

Today Ken Kelly was interviewed for a story on Bridgeport's Local TV Channel 12 News. He was interviewed in the main lobby of his apartment building with the lights, cameras, and microphones all set up.

The interview included his WWII Service, the night that the Bridgeport Police arrived with a birthday card and a DD Gift card, as well as his long time interest in fire buffing as a hobby.

After the interview and filming, the reporter went up to Kenny's apartment where he showed him pictures taken during his military service, as well as many of his fire dept related photos. The reporter was very impressed and told him that some of those pictures would be included in the story.

I'm sure they will be talking with those police officers as well. I believe Kenny told me that he is the reporter assigned to cover BPD stories. He told Kenny, he too greatly appreciates the work that our police officers do.

I'll be checking out "Bridgeport's Channel 12 News" website because the reporter said we could find that interview there.

Just as a sideline story......(true story)

Apparently word is spreading about these police officers and how Kenny appreciates the work they do because: "Kenny and I have been invited for a ride along in a large city police dept outside of Connecticut". We were also told that there are plenty of Dunkin Donuts that we could stop at.

Although Kenny is not a member of this site and doesn't have the internet, he always ask about what's going on here. I guess that qualifies him to be an "HONORARY MEMBER".

Just watched it (http://connecticut.news12.com/category/323509/connecticut-top-stories).  Bridgeport PD has some real gentlemen in its ranks.

manhattan said:
Just watched it (http://connecticut.news12.com/category/323509/connecticut-top-stories).  Bridgeport PD has some real gentlemen in its ranks.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FRANK FOR POSTING THAT.

I will pass that link onto others.

Those members of the Bridgeport Police are "TOP SHELF" as I see it.

Thanks again Frank.

I had just finished reading an article in our local newspaper about Nashville, Tenn being hit with a tornado. I know that this sites member Elwood Erwin "CFDMarshall" doesn't live too far from there.

Just after reading that article, Steve Elliot, "fltpara16", contacted me and a few other members to say that he had been in touch with Elwood, and he and the Mrs are okay.

At this point it's not known if his home has been damaged, as Elwood was at a firehouse in Putnam County when Steve contacted him.

Latest updated info is that 22 deaths have occurred as a result of this tornado.

I hope that everything will be okay for Elwood and his wife.

Elwood has made the trip up here from Tennessee many times to visit a lot of his friends from this site.

Only other update is that our Brother Rev, who is also a State Farm Agent, is doing double duty.  He is at his office with an Engine parked out back to respond to calls.  Prayers to the Rev, his wife and all of their community as they respond and recover  from this disaster.

Some news reports on the damage....  https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/overnight-tornado-damages-historic-tennessee-state-prison/

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. We do have widespread damage and our resources have been stretched a bit thin. Great Statewide Mutual Aid response and we should be able to complete the secondary searches tomorrow. We have 19 dead in this county and over 70 missing or unaccounted. That number will rise. Tornadoes are never nice at 1:00 am on a Tuesday ! I was able to clock out of my fire duty at 6:30 tonight. Thanks again brothers and sisters!

You're doing some great work, Rev.  Stay safe and kn ow that you, your family, your friends and your community are in our prayers.

Get some rest Rev. Sounds like another tough day tomorrow. Hopefully tonight will be quiet.

Today is site member and apparatus guru Gman's birthday. He is 69 today, hot on Willy D's tail. Happy Birthday Tom! Have yourself a great day.