News of Members

We have received word from Steve Elliot, aka "fltpara16", that he has accepted the position as Chief of Training in his department . He will be going from Battalion Chief Shift Commander to Division Chief of Training. It is not a promotion but he will now be a 40 hour week salaried employee.

The advantage is that he will now be able to set his own schedule, not be on any shift work, plus gets a take home vehicle.

He will also still be able to pick up some OT as a B/C shift commander when needed.

Also Steve, being that you will be taking the car home, does that mean that you will be on call to respond as maybe the Safety Officer ? I know some places do that.

We wish you all the best Steve. If you need some advice you might want to check with "8060rock" on here. I'm sure he can give you a few pointers.

I will have to be "On call" on a rotating schedule every 6th or 7th week. The is to back up the on-duty chiefs in the event of a significant fire or other emergency/weather event.

Aside from the fact that 9-11 is a horrific day we should not let that take away from the fact that it is also a good friend & regular poster's Birthday....Happy & Healthy Birthday Declan "aka IRISH"....Best Wishes For Many More !

Happy Birthday, Dec. My birthday slipped by unnoticed on 9/2; yes I am still older than Uncle Wilfred. Hard to believe!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Dec. My birthday slipped by unnoticed on 9/2; yes I am still older than Uncle Wilfred. Hard to believe!

Johnny D, that's NOT hard to believe at all. Everybody knows that you are one very old man. A HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to you my long time Ole' Buddy.

How long has it been ? I think we go back to the days when I was a hard hitting, tough 185 lbs. Way back about 45-50 years ago. Maybe 1973 or so. What a GREAT time it was though - right Johnny. If only Nycfire.net was around then.

Many thanks Chief and all for the birthday wishes. Sadly covid has limited the birthday celebrations this year which suits me fine anyway. Who wants to celebrate getting older anyway lol

Of course yes I share it with one of the worst days I've known and many here have known.

NYC, my friends on this site (many who I've had the pleasure to meet and listen to) and the Dept will never be far from my thoughts on this day.

I'll Never Forget.

Wishing all who Mark this day in whatever way I hope you and yours stay safe

Dec (Irish)

Thanks to all my friends for the good wishes. Turning 77 is not all that bad. Still playing golf 2-3 times a week.

Today, Monday September 14th is a very special day to three well known and well respected members of this site.

We begin with this site administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick and his son, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, the owner of this site.

It was September 14, 1968 that then, Probationary Firefighter John Bendick began his career with the FDNY.

Then "exactly" 35 years later, on September 14, 2003 John's son, Probationary Firefighter Tommy Bendick began his career with the FDNY and then assigned to Engine Co 65.

Another interesting note is that Probie FF Tommy Bendicks "first overtime shift" was on December 14, 2003 where he was assigned to work with his father, Capt Bendick of Engine Co 23.

BUT wait.....we have MORE News of Members regarding September 14th.

On that September 14th, 1968, then Probationary Firefighter Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09" also began his career with the FDNY attending the same Probie Class with John Bendick.
Jack Kleehaas, later retiring as a Battalion Chief of the FDNY.

All THREE - highly respected as firefighters, as well as officers within the FDNY.

Gentlemen, Happy Anniversary and "A Job Well Done" - According To All Those Who Have Worked With You.