News of Members

Just read the news about Frank. A life of selfless service to others. May you Rest in Eternal Peace.

Last edited:
Hey Frank Donohue
I just got another friend request from you.
The guy isn't as good looking he just has white face and white hair with a grey back ground.. Maybe you got hacked?

Hey Frank Donohue
I just got another friend request from you.
The guy isn't as good looking he just has white face and white hair with a grey back ground.. Maybe you got hacked?

Me, too, Frank. And here I thought it was just you being senile. ? :ROFLMAO:

Members of Nycfire.net,

I just learned that one of our frequent contributors to this site has passed away on November 1st '20.

Frank Meade, aka "manhattan" passed away of natural causes in his apartment on West 23rd St in Manhattan at age 70. He would have been 71 on November 5th.

Frank did so much for the members of the FDNY, NYPD, and U.S. Military Veterans. He was very highly respected by the members of those services.

On the anniversary of September 11th he would play a major role in organizing the Father Judge Walk along with the late NYPD Officer Steven McDonald who was shot and paralyzed in Central Park. Officer McDonald passed away just a few years ago.

Frank also reorganized the Veterans Day Memorial Service at Chelsea Park in Manhattan on 9th Ave and 27th St.

I believe that Frank had served in the U.S. Coast Guard and he retired as an Administrator of a large section within a NYC Hospital.

Most recently, Frank started a fund raiser to buy meals for the members of NYPDs 10 Pct, and FDNY Firefighters Engine 3/Ladder 12, as well as the FDNY/EMS members. Frank posted that fund raiser on here and I know that some members contributed to that.

Frank was also very active in his local church.

Not only have "we" lost a good man, but "our entire society" has lost a good man as well. I know that he really enjoyed and appreciated reading the various topics on this site.

Frank was last on this site, the day he passed away on November 1st. We'll miss you Frank. You certainly served your purpose well while on this earth.

God Bless you Frank for all you did. Thank you and may you Rest in Peace.

Here is Frank at the Veterans Day Memorial Service on November 11, 2018

https://postimg.cc/ZBHm0jH9

We had learned from this site member Phil Dancy "Lebby” that when Frank Meade, aka "manhattan" (RIP) had learned that an American Flag was destroyed that was on the back of one of FDNY/EMS ambulances, Frank purchased another flag to replace that one damaged.

We had learned that from "Lebby" and as I understand it, he put that American Flag on the back of the ambulance, aka "bus", that he uses on his EMS tours providing life saving services to the people and visitors of NYC.

Recently, that ambulance was taken out of service during "Lebby’s" days off, apparently to be replaced by a new unit. In addition to that, the American flag that Frank Meade (RIP) had purchased also went along with that ambulance.

Today (Saturday 1/9), "Lebby" plans to make a trip to the EMS Shops to try and locate that flag. I sure appreciate the fact that Phillip is willing to do this. For many of us, this is a very Special American Flag and I sure hope that he is able to locate it and attach it to the back of the FDNY/EMS unit he operates.

Yesterday, one of our members called me and the discussion led to Frank Meade "manhattan". I could NOT say enough about Frank. He was such a GREAT Individual and did so much for others. His appreciation to the members of the NYPD, FDNY, FDNY/EMS, and U.S. Military Veterans was "second to none".

He was a very educated man but never boasted about his own accomplishments.

Although I only met Frank three or four times in person, I am truly "HONORED" that I DID get that privilege. What a Gentleman and Great Guy he was.

Now my wish is that "Lebby” is able to recover that American Flag that has special meaning to many of us here.

If there's anyone here who might be able to help in the recovery of that flag, please do your best to accomplish that for the members of this site and in memory of our good friend who we lost in November (2020), Frank Meade, aka "manhattan".

Phillip "Lebby”, Thank you for this effort on your part and PLEASE let ALL of us here know if you are able to successfully recover that American Flag.

Last edited:
The flag has been received

Thanks Lebby for your effort in getting back that flag. I know that our good friend Frank M, “Manhattan” would thank you as well

Phillip, let me also add, my apology to you for spelling your last name and your user name wrong in my previous statements regarding the recovery and return of this flag

Please let me add, as many of us see it, you are not only a credit to this site but a credit to your generation and the FDNY/EMS as well
Thank you

Last edited:
Maybe some of the members here might be able to help.

Now that the American Flag that Frank Meade (RIP) had donated to the FDNY/EMS has been recovered, Lebby has asked; "WHERE SHOULD IT GO" ?

I suggested it go back to the EMS Station where Frank had delivered it to. Along with the story of what happen and perhaps a few photos of Frank to keep in his honor for what he had done. Of course that would probably require approval of the higher ups.

Members of NYCFIRE, we have some very interesting news to tell you about some of our most popular, well known, highly respected members.

First Announcement;
Our good friend, Joe Materia, aka "mack" has "finally" joined the ranks of the Unemployed. "mack" has recently retired from his fulltime job at the U.S. Pentagon.
He began working in the Pentagon following a 37 year career with the United States Army retiring at the rank of Colonel. Joe, a West Point Graduate holds two Masters Degrees. As I understand it, Joe was also in charge of the U.S. Army Operations following the Attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

Joe's father was a highly respected member of the FDNY War Years and retired at the rank of Battalion Chief. That is how Joe got interested in the fire service (FDNY) and he would often ride with his father in Coney Island, which was seeing it's own share of plenty of work in those days. Then later in Staten Island.

Joe's son is also a firefighter assigned to one of Boston's busiest Ladder Companies. His son as I understand it spent Three Tours in Iraq with the Special Forces. He also saved a woman's life who had her leg amputated after being hit at the Boston Marathon Bombing. Later both got married and their story was told on several television networks.

Joe, you certainly leave with an impressive resume. Thank you for all you have done for us and I greatly appreciate your friendship.

Now we move on to another highly respected and popular member known as "guitarman314". Of course I am talking about Tom Eve. A retired Post Office Supervisor as well as a very talented guitar player who played with some of the Most Popular Doo Wop groups of our time. In addition to that, Tom was very skilled with building fire truck models from scratch. He would be able to make an EXACT Model of any fire truck whether the FDNY or otherwise. Tom has made such hand crafted models for many members of this site.

Many of us here also know Tom on a personnel basis. He presents a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the history of FDNY Fire apparatus. We have seen that many times here on that site with his contributions.

Tom also grew up in the South Bronx during the FDNY War Years. As I understand, he was a buff who would have close ties to the members of Engine 60 and Ladder 17, some of the busiest FDNY companies in the city as the South Bronx was burning everyday and night.

Later Tom moved to Staten Island where he had made his home there until October 9th of this year (2020).
Tom Eve, aka "Gman", has moved to a sunny, warmer, St Cloud, Fla. No more snow and ice for him.
As I understand it, he is keeping his home at this time in S.I. and will be renting it out to one of his daughters.

Well Tom, I think you'll find yourself plenty of retired firefighters down there with you. I'm sure it won't take long and you may even find a few guys who maybe you remember from the old neighborhood.
We wish you all the Best Tom. Just keep in touch with us guys up here, okay.

Now just one more interesting note that I never knew before.

This site owner, "tbendick" as well as his associate, "truck4", grew up together as kids and went to school together. Both celebrate the same birthdays together. Both have a daughter and younger son of school age.
"tbendick" is now a Lt in the FDNY and "truck4" is now a Capt in the Yonkers Police Dept.

Well guys, for me it's time to go. I haven't done anything but eat and brush my teeth. It's now almost 3 pm. Remember earlier I told you being Old and Unemployed has some Advantages. Well Joe, "mack", you'll get used to it soon enough too, now that you are RETIRED.

Joe "Mack" Apologies for being late to the party but congratulations on retirement. I hope you enjoy the days to come and please God when the covid is gone ill see you on this side of the pond

Also wishing GMan all the best in the sunnier South.