Runs/workers 1964-1976

As I understand it, the runs/workers were originally started by a gentleman named Ira Hoffman, who at the time was a buff of Engine Co 290.

Later, Ira also ran a store in Hudson, Mass where he started that web site offering many fire dept items such as books, videos, cd's, etc. Not just from the FDNY but other depts as well. I think he ran that business for about 30 - 35 years before he recently retired and sold it to a new owner who still offers various fire dept items.

It was Ira's store and web site that I purchased many FDNY books, CDs, Videos.
Books by guys like; Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx", Dennis Smith, the late Tom Wanstall, and the late Alex Douchin.
CDs - Radio traffic of FDNYs July 4th featuring non stop action. Also the first WTC Bombing of February, 1992 (?).
Videos/DVDs - FDNYs Brothers in Battle, along with several others.

I hope that Ira will become a member of this site, if he hasn't already.

Thank you to Ira Hoffman for giving so many of us the opportunity to purchase these now, "Fire Dept Collector items" and for your starting of the FDNY Runs/Workers.

In my days of buffing the FDNY, it was your numbers that I would base my buffing location Hang Out, of the "Hot Spots" where the most work was.

Here is 1 of Ira's spreadsheets (Copy was sent to me by a friend) for Runs and Workers 1964-1978.
Ira spreadsheet2.jpg

In the 1960's, Fire Engineering had a buff's column. As I recall it seemed to revolve around the 44 (and 44-2) Battalion. I remember John J. Weisberger's name. What was that all about? Anybody know?

In the 1960's, Fire Engineering had a buff's column. As I recall it seemed to revolve around the 44 (and 44-2) Battalion. I remember John J. Weisberger's name. What was that all about? Anybody know?
And weren't those runs & workers published in the Third Alarm Association newsletter?

mack

Administrator
FDNY annual runs/workers tracking started long before the 1960s. WNYF published R&Ws each year from its initial publishing in the 1940s. Each year they published the top 25 engine and truck companies - and still does. WNYF also reports the top BCs and special units. There are also R&W lists available through the early 1900s as well as company annual totals available during the 1800s.

It is interesting to see both the continual busy workload some companies have had, decade after decade, as well as shifts in workloads as neighborhoods in the city became busier or slower over time.