Satellite units

C

capthale

Do satellite units stage at a hydrant not being used and wait to lay there hose as needed. Where would there normal be? Most of the time I see it up front and not in a good position to be used

Here?s a pic i took of Sat 2 at a 2nd Alarm 7/7/19. They were parked about 2 1/2 blocks away from the fire building at a hydrant.

Chauffeur stayed with the Rig crew (E-72) went up to the scene

C

capthale

Thank you sir that was perfect so he was in a good place pre-staged ready to go I like that thank you

It?s hard to tell from the two pics , but what?s the reason for the Diamond plate covering over the factory roof of the cab ? Something new ...Never seen it before on a City rig.

TLTruckie said:
It?s hard to tell from the two pics , but what?s the reason for the Diamond plate covering over the factory roof of the cab ? Something new ...Never seen it before on a City rig.

I read on another site that the cab roof of the Peterbilt was not strong enough to hold someone standing on it, so the diamond plate was added. Don't know if there's any truth to that.

I also read they needed the flat diamond plate to mount the lights and other rooftop equipment.  The roofs of the Peterbilt trucks are possibly composite and will not hold this equipment on their own.  The other question I have about these rigs is why so long to get them in-service?  These have been around awhile.  I know they are new, but are hose wagons. Other then the new deluge gun, there does not seem to be a whole lot to do to train the crews prior to being placed in-service.  Is there an issue with acceptance of these units?

fltpara16 said:
  The other question I have about these rigs is why so long to get them in-service?  These have been around awhile.  I know they are new, but are hose wagons. Other then the new deluge gun, there does not seem to be a whole lot to do to train the crews prior to being placed in-service.  Is there an issue with acceptance of these units?

I asked the same question a few weeks ago .

^^^^^^^It's a building that is part of the wastewater treatment plant that is next to Training School, not on FDNY property.

The Water Treatment Plant did expand onto FDNY property on Randalls Island back when von essen was the FC & FDNY was given Fort Totten.... the plan back then was to move the entire Fire Academy to the Fort so the Water Plant started expanding onto FDNY property but moving the entire Academy to the Fort was stifled when the local community activists objected to the idea that wood would be burned in the Smokehouse & live Fire ops conducted (no gas fueled simulators back then) contaminating the air  as well as vehicles torn apart contaminating the soil so basically only classrooms were allowed there & other ops remained at Randalls Island....after the FD took over the Fort the activists continued to hound the FD to remediate the underwater soil at the shore since during the 1950s when the Army was on the Fort they had a shop there that repaired early mercury vapor lamps & spilled mercury went into floor drains that emptied into the water & the mercury is still settled there ......this was never addressed .....the activists also continue to demand that the FD clean the geese crap that is all over the sidewalks & park areas of the Fort which is open to the public.

Anybody know if the new Satellite 5 ever went back into service after its problem during the first week of service?

dan

Supposedly all 6 satellites going back to have serious steering defects addressed by manufacturer. The Mack MR/Ferraras still in service/placed back in service.