TACTICAL USE OF FIRE HYDRANTS.

TELLER AVE off 166 ST. .........
2519-jpg.44120

Note the kinks in the yellow supply line. Hope the fire was not that serious. It looks like a typical All Hands in the South Bronx. I had the pleasure of covering long term in Ladder 19 that is Quartered with Engine 50. Both E-50 and L-19 were great units and very very busy when I worked there in the mid, 1980s, and they both still do alto of work. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Does anyone have a picture of a Red Air Cock Hydrant?
Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 6.04.14 PM.png
"Red Air Cock Hydrants - Hydrants on 30” diameter or greater mains in strategic locations (high and low points on the water main). These hydrants are painted red and are excellent sources of water for fire department use."

This reminds me of the old Twin Black Hydrants on large water mains that had TWO 4 1/2" outlets placed on large water mains for use by the old Super Pumper System. Regular FDNY units were NOT to use those twin special hydrants, due to being reserved ONLY for the Super Pumper System. I do not know if they still exist. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26

This reminds me of the old Twin Black Hydrants on large water mains that had TWO 4 1/2" outlets placed on large water mains for use by the old Super Pumper System. Regular FDNY units were NOT to use those twin special hydrants, due to being reserved ONLY for the Super Pumper System. I do not know if they still exist. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26
I believe they have all been converted to satellite hydrants and painted red.