THEY SAVED NEW YORK

Happy Birthday Tom. I was the Captain of E82 from 9/73 to 5/76. The Lieutenants at this time were Louie Andrade, Tom Walsh and Tom Simmons. Tom Simmons was well respected by the members of 82/31. Tom beside being a great fire boss was also a great office guy. Tom made sure that 82's books and office was well attended to. I received many compliments from out of company officers that went like this "I did a tour today in 82 and was very surprised by how well run their office is with all the work they do. I expected the office to be a "shithouse" when covering there, but was just the opposite. This was all Tom Simmons. Thank you Tommy, was always a pleasure. Bob Manson

Happy Birthday Tom. I was the Captain of E82 from 9/73 to 5/76. The Lieutenants at this time were Louie Andrade, Tom Walsh and Tom Simmons. Tom Simmons was well respected by the members of 82/31. Tom beside being a great fire boss was also a great office guy. Tom made sure that 82's books and office was well attended to. I received many compliments from out of company officers that went like this "I did a tour today in 82 and was very surprised by how well run their office is with all the work they do. I expected the office to be a "shithouse" when covering there, but was just the opposite. This was all Tom Simmons. Thank you Tommy, was always a pleasure. Bob Manson
Bob, I sent Tom your message.

mack

Administrator
Happy 91st birthday - and thank you for your great career.

mack

Administrator
Tom was also inducted into the 99th Assembly District Hall of Fame in 2019 for his service to our county:

Assemblyman Schmitt Hosts His Inaugural 99th Assembly District Veterans Hall Of Fame​

November 18, 2019

Town of Chester: Thomas Simmons, USMC

Thomas Simmons enlisted into the United States Marine Corps in January of 1951 and served 40 years before retiring on August 31st, 1991. He served his first three active years at Parris Island, Camp Pendleton and was eventually sent to Korea. He was discharged from the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and served a second term at a naval air station in California. He finally came to Stewart Airbase and went into the reserves.

After settling at Stewart, he moved right here to the Town of Chester. He got involved in the Chester Ambulance Corps, served 26 years in the Fire department and is a volunteer at the NYC Fire Museum. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and I’m told can be found at the Rec center often playing cards and talking with his many friends.

Thomas is 88 years old and has 5 children. One of his son’s serves as a United States Marine today.

In a recent conversation with Dan, author of the upcoming book "They Saved New York", Dan reports he has completed his 90 interviews of the FDNY WAR YEARS FIREFIGHTERS.

It started out with the idea of writing a book about the Greatest Generation of Firefighters, who fought a staggering amount of serious building fires in the late 1960s, 1970s, and into the early 1980s.

As I remember, Dan's goal was to originally interview about 45 guys.
But that number grew to 60, and then to 90, of that "Greatest Generation of Firefighters".

The more stories he heard, the more interesting it got.

This project became a full time job for Dan, with homework as well.
He would try to interview four guys a day.
The schedule would require him to travel, as well as include his photographer, who lives in Pa., and his book editor, plus of course the members he would interview.

During the interviews, Dan took notes as well as recorded their conversations.
When he got home, he would then listen to those tapes, refer to his notes, and then he began writing each individual story.

Dan who knew, and was good friends with the late Dennis Smith (RIP), author of the book "Report From Engine Co 82", had told him; "writing a book could be a very long process and it takes a lot of work".
I think hearing Dan's story about his upcoming book, that was a very true statement.

Well friends, latest word is that Dan has now finished his part in that upcoming book.
It is now up to the publisher, editor, and his photographer to complete their part so that a date can be given on when this long awaited book will be released.

Dan also says that the book could contain as many as 300 pages with stories and photos.

I might also add:
ALL PROCEEDS and PROFITS FROM THE SALE OF THIS BOOK, DAN, aka "johnnygage", WILL BE DONATING "HIS SHARE" TO AN FDNY CHARITY Organization.
He wants NOTHING FOR HIMSELF.

I especially enjoy the Preface to "Into The Smoke" which advises that the period depicted in the book extends from the 60's to the the 90's (aka The War Years and slightly beyond) and was a time when things may have been done a little differently than they are done today (i.e. "...a period...was a fertile stage for innovation and development...Many of the fires depicted predate OSHA...PPE...requirements....").

As has been said many times, we probably won't see the volume of fire that was seen in those days and, due to regulations, safety concerns and current practices, we certainly won't see some of the techniques and methods used to extinguish those fires today.

Thank goodness there are those who have photographed, interviewed, written about and preserved our history otherwise it may have been lost. The "new kids" in my last department in Texas (circa 2003) couldn't believe some of my stories regarding the amount of work in New York during the 60's and 70's, riding the backstep, pull-up boots, rubber or canvas turnout coats and 2-1/2" hoselines. My personal thanks to all those who have preserved our history starting with Dennis Smith (RIP) and continuing through Johnny Gage.

Sometimes we are reluctant to write about our experiences. For example, Captain of 82 engine. We had a job early,3 am, in a closed Chinese restaurant. Fire was in the restaurant proper with a long hallway before reaching the restaurant with a right turn. 31 was forcing the door, while we waited for water. Door forced, line charged and bled. As we were starting in I heard a voice in my ear telling me to "wait." Mike Hartnett was on the nozzle. I told him to wait. Seconds later we had a backdraft in the restaurant with a ball of fire fully involving the hallway. Now who would believe this?

Sometimes we are reluctant to write about our experiences. For example, Captain of 82 engine. We had a job early,3 am, in a closed Chinese restaurant. Fire was in the restaurant proper with a long hallway before reaching the restaurant with a right turn. 31 was forcing the door, while we waited for water. Door forced, line charged and bled. As we were starting in I heard a voice in my ear telling me to "wait." Mike Hartnett was on the nozzle. I told him to wait. Seconds later we had a backdraft in the restaurant with a ball of fire fully involving the hallway. Now who would believe this?
I certainly hope that you are one of the 90 interviewees in Johnny Gage's book, Boss. If not, Dan, please make him 91.

Chief, if you said it happened, I believe it!

Any idea when it will be available to purchase?

"tommyhal&oat", I think that is a question that we are ALL ASKING.

Please refer to page 3, reply # 56 in which Dan gave us the latest answer to that.
At this point, even "he" doesn't know himself, except that "his" job is done.

Mike Hartnett(on the right) when he was Capt.of E-37 (He retired as a DC)

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.17.10 PM.png

Chief Manson on the left

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.20.59 PM.png