100' Ferrara Rear Mount Aerials

Bulldog

Bulldog
Hurricanes298 said:

New Ladder 10
The blue number on the truck looks strange! I'm sure it's reflective but during daylight. It just playing looks wrong.

New Tradition I guess...wonder how the guys at 10 feel about it...one of the guys i ran into off duty a few years ago was saying how much it bugged him because people wouldn't leave them alone.

If you work anywhere in Manhattan, especially downtown, people are going to come up to you for pictures, questions, etc.  If your attitude is you want to be left alone, then transfer to the South Bronx or East New York...the residents will respect and appreciate you, and I guarantee you won't have to deal with tourists!

4 truck said:
Ours was just oos tues day tour for a recall of a fuel line that they found rots away good job guys on buying these pieces of shit I had the Ov at a job the other week and was working off of it. It felt like I was on a spring board with the amount of swaying this thing does I would sink the adz end of the haligan in and try and pull a piece of wood off and the ladder no joke would pull a good 3-6 inches toward the building( I was working off toward the side)and when I would take out the haligan it would spring back thank god I clipped in I would of gotten thrown off

Was in NYC on Sunday night and saw 4 Truck riding around again. Smelled like it was burning something or just giving off some pretty bad fumes. May want to have the shops take a look at it as it seemed quite excessive...

We've had a coolant leak that was "fixed" by the ferrera mechanics  took them 4 hrs to figure out it was a radiator cap. If I did that at my shop I would of been kicked in the ass by my pop. They then said it was a Cummins issue so they had to come out. Our rig is a mess there's so much rattling from loose panels in the cab because screws did not have lock tight put on them. The suspension is starting to show and feel signs of wearing already.

Lone319Wolf said:
There are some new rigs that are in  the shops...
Rearmounts      Tower Ladders  and a Tiller

From another site:
From a guy that named redlight.

As of December 19, 2012, the following  eight 2012 Ferrara Ultra model 100 foot rearmount aerials had been delivered to FDNY Fleet Services:
Ladder 61 with FDNY registration #FL12001, Ladder 84 with #FL12002, Ladder 80 with #FL12003, Ladder 128 with #FL12004, Ladder 125 with #FL12005, Ladder 43 with #FL12006, Ladder 116 with #FL12007 and Ladder 151 with #FL12008. The only two already in service went to Ladder 61 (FL12001) on December 7 and Ladder 128 (FL12004) on December 4.

Also delivered, but not yet in service, is one 2012 Seagrave Marauder II 100 foot tractor drawn aerial going to Ladder 34 with #SL12001T.

Since this post. Ladders 87, 80, 84, 125, 43, 116 and L53 (with a new TL) have all gone into service.

4 truck said:
We've had a coolant leak that was "fixed" by the ferrera mechanics  took them 4 hrs to figure out it was a radiator cap. If I did that at my shop I would of been kicked in the ass by my pop. They then said it was a Cummins issue so they had to come out. Our rig is a mess there's so much rattling from loose panels in the cab because screws did not have lock tight put on them. The suspension is starting to show and feel signs of wearing already.
That flat out sucks if it is rattling and the suspension is giving after just over a year in service. Truck definitely (IMHO) is burning something from just having it drive by me on 47th and 6th on Sunday.

Yea it's pretty much falling apart and most of ferreras mechanics are horrible  They are paid by the hour so they take there time.  But there is a few that do there job and do it well

4 truck said:
Yea it's pretty much falling apart and most of ferreras mechanics are horrible  They are paid by the hour so they take there time.  But there is a few that do there job and do it well
Is 4 Truck's Ferrara still OOS?

fdny1075k said:
4 truck said:
Is 4 Truck's Ferrara still OOS?

Saw a photo of their Ferrara Rig responding in Times Square today

Nope it's in service.  It will go oos at hours on end to fix whatever problems arise but like I said the ferrera mechanics take there time and pretty much suck

4 truck said:
Nope it's in service.  It will go oos at hours on end to fix whatever problems arise but like I said the ferrera mechanics take there time and pretty much suck

4 Truck are any of the other Ferrara Rearmounts having as many problems as L4??

Also is there a process where if the Company feels the rig is unsafe and not up to the job that they can refuse to use the truck and take a spare?

IRISH said:
4 truck said:

4 Truck are any of the other Ferrara Rearmounts having as many problems as L4??

Also is there a process where if the Company feels the rig is unsafe and not up to the job that they can refuse to use the truck and take a spare?

L42 had some trouble in the beginning.  Since then it's been in service with little issue and they sound happy with it.  L29 was a lot of trouble from day one and then OOS for several months.  Since then it's been in service with little interruption for several months.  L49 has had an issue or two and then it was OOS for a bit.  All in all it's been decent for them too. 

They've got some serious quality control issues down there, but the rig itself has some real positives.  The crew cab is awesome and the ride is great.  The compartments are well laid out and the extra tool storage is great.  Hopefully the bugs will be worked out as the rigs continue to be turned out.

I agree there are positives on these rigs but the ride isn't that great at first it is but over time it wears quickly. The crew area is awesome and the to storage is great.

Who exactly is on the design committee for new rigs, I mean are they fire fighters on the street or just BC/DC and admin, and how do they decide what is needed for the design. I am sure its a long and tedease assignment to get the specs done right but Id love to know who decides if a unit get say auto chains or a auto ladder rack.

Sorry to ask dumb questions

NV

Hello to all,
I am curious....now that the 2nd generation of Ferrara rearmounts are being assigned and are on the road, has the performance and operation of these rigs improved?
Did Ferrara learn the shortcomings of the first batch and improve the second batch?
Thanks,
Jim (1261)

10 Truck now in service

and just to note there IS an American flag mural on each side of the rig but its not an exact copy of the last mural