100' Ferrara Rear Mount Aerials

There's a few new rigs at the Rock. Last I was there, 14 Truck, and 118 Truck were there. That was about a month ago.

Ladder 174 2013 Ferrara and 2002 Seagrave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,637

BCR

I think the ad on orders started before they even took delivery of the first rig. I would imagine with the way contracts are written theses days it would be tough to cancel the order if the rig meets the specs fdny provided. Your basicly stuck with what you get. There would probaly have to be a test clause or trial period written into the contract where they could cancel it with out a great reason. While I certainly think these rigs are not performing like they should and are apparently not performing as good as the old seagraves when they were new I'm sure Ferrara would sue if they were dumped and the lawyers fees would be hudge and they might have to pay them anyway. It seems the new engines ordered from KME they are trying to do it the right way with a demo so if they don't like em they can dump em and move on to the next lowest bid. However I think fdny has more room to wiggle with KME because they are a new manufacturer for the city. Although it was ferraras first time making the ladders and rescues they had already provided rigs (hp pumpers, satellites, special units) there for I think the city may have overlooked putting a demo test before they bought all these rigs in the contract. I also believe when a contract for any rig is signed they basicly are the only one who can make that rig for a certian period (guessing 3 years) so even if they dont like them they couldn't give an order to seagrave or someone else until that contract period was up and re-bid. This is just my opinion of what I've seen so far, I haven't read the contracts but I do have some experience with other types of municipal contracts and this is what appears to have happened. Anyone feel free to add or correct me if I'm wrong

billybob said:
I dont believe that these trucks are the pieces of junk everyone is saying they are. The city could have canceled the order at any time. Instead they kept ordering new add on's. New ones are arriving all the time. They could have canceled the order after the first batch arrived.

How don't u believe it ? My company has one and I see it first hand how bad it is.  We have one off the very first order and there were a lot of problems with those rigs. I believe they have worked out some if the issues

billybob said:
I dont believe that these trucks are the pieces of junk everyone is saying they are. The city could have canceled the order at any time. Instead they kept ordering new add on's. New ones are arriving all the time. They could have canceled the order after the first batch arrived.
No one ever said they were smart.

billybob said:

First of all, you've got people here who work in and around them everyday.  I'd believe what they tell you.  Secondly, the rigs were ordered in large batches, so orders were in before the true train wreck revealed itself.

The city DOESN'T CARE.  They put an order out for bid through DCAS and it's filled by the low bidder.  END OF STORY. 

BCR

JohnnyBopp said:
billybob said:

First of all, you've got people here who work in and around them everyday.  I'd believe what they tell you.  Secondly, the rigs were ordered in large batches, so orders were in before the true train wreck revealed itself.

The city DOESN'T CARE.  They put an order out for bid through DCAS and it's filled by the low bidder.  END OF STORY.

Well said, the city cares about one thing and one thing only and that is MONEY and how they can spend less of it, it does not concern the city yet because the repairs are not hitting there pockets yet because they require the big warranty, let's see how the feel when that runs out and the repairs come outta there pocket, there are guys on this site assigned to those rigs since they were new and they say there not the way they should be, just ask 4Truck, his rigs ass end drifts when going threw manhattan traffic, now tell me why a truck that cost that much is doing that

That's just one of the MANY problems we have with our rig. There are a lot of design flaws with the rigs not very well thought out but like we do with everything we adapt and over come

4 truck said:
That's just one of the MANY problems we have with our rig. There are a lot of design flaws with the rigs not very well thought out but like we do with everything we adapt and over come

I DO like that they moved the storage space for the two cans.  I'm over 6' tall and it was still a reach.  I do like the compartment layout and the back-step as well, but man......that thing is a POS.

Johnny, Im glad to see that you finally agree that that the ferrara ladders are in nice words JUNK.

looks like ferrara built 137 a new rig....... 137 was the first ferrara ladder put into service and was destroyed during hurricane sandy!

BCR, 4 Truck JohnyBopp, and others, we have experienced the ass end swaying up here in Toronto with our aerial trucks (Smeals). I have personally experienced this with our A231. Having this happen in city traffic is one thing, when it happens on the highway with speeds around 45-55 mp/h (100 km/h for us Canadians) is truly scary.

On a positive note this ass swaying issue was resolved when it was determined that the trucks had the wrong type of rear tires on them. The tires were changed and the problem went away. I hope this helps.
Lee

They were repairing the body mounts for the cab that got worn out after 16k miles funny thing is it still clunks a little bit over big bumps