100' Ferrara Rear Mount Aerials

1261Truckie said:
Hello to all,
I am curious....now that the 2nd generation of Ferrara rearmounts are being assigned and are on the road, has the performance and operation of these rigs improved?
Did Ferrara learn the shortcomings of the first batch and improve the second batch?
Thanks,
Jim (1261)

My company has one of the 2nd generation.  It has been great for us. No major problems to speak of. They have come to quarters and put us OSS for some minor adjustments hear and there. We haven't had much down time that I am aware of.

The steering is a little different to get used to. And our really only complaint is that the Aerial is slower then the Seagraves.

Edit: design issue, the main wiring harness for the rig is at the bottom by the LCCs tire.  As a result it gets soaked every time we go through a puddle. The mechanics notice this and said it will cause issues down the road.  Same thing with some of the computer equipment. It is getting soaked on the underside as well as it is no protected.

Any idea on what they plan on doing with the old 10 truck? I know the department milked everything they could visually out of it so i don't really see it goin into the spare pool...

NYBravest82 said:
Any idea on what they plan on doing with the old 10 truck? I know the department milked everything they could visually out of it so i don't really see it goin into the spare pool...
    "milked everything they could visually"....??

NYBravest82 said:

Milked?? Explain that one, please. It's presently stripped of the murals and restriped. It is sitting at Randalls Island acting as a training rig for Chauffer Training.
I'll have some pictures up later.

All were shot at the Rock between April and last weekend. With the exception of L-10. That was shot out in front of Quarters Thursday Night.

L-78_zpscaf5aa2c.png

L-48New_zps5d4bfd3b.png

L-126F_zps04a91162.png

L-134_zps2763860d.png

L-10F2_zpsdae3dc1f.png

Are the Ferrara's recently delivered and placed in-service performing any better then the first ones delivered? the first batch seemed to have many problems.  I'm curious if they got the bugs worked out at the factory, and if there is less downtime when they are assigned to units in the field?

fltpara16 said:
Are the Ferrara's recently delivered and placed in-service performing any better then the first ones delivered? the first batch seemed to have many problems.  I'm curious if they got the bugs worked out at the factory, and if there is less downtime when they are assigned to units in the field?

So far those delivered after the 1st batch have been better.  A couple of small assembly changes and seemingly fewer problems.

5 more ordered on a add-on to the current contract. These five are slated to go companies that lost their apparatus due to Sandy