Companies with the most First Due Work?

Not really. 4 truck definitely gets more first due work than 43 and 26 truck. Not even a close contest. The numbers don’t lie.

The 1st due numbers will be different this year. In terms of Harlem vs. Midtown discussion, this year 4 truck has 14 1st due and 28 has 22, 40 & 23 both have 12 - pretty close to 4. The year isn't over yet though and anyone can get hot.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
The 1st due numbers will be different this year. In terms of Harlem vs. Midtown discussion, this year 4 truck has 14 1st due and 28 has 22, 40 & 23 both have 12 - pretty close to 4. The year isn't over yet though and anyone can get hot.
Slow year for the entire city, particularly midtown. No jobs because for a long time there were no people.

Not really. 4 truck definitely gets more first due work than 43 and 26 truck. Not even a close contest. The numbers don’t lie.
It wasn’t my intention to say that 4 Truck doesn’t get their fair share of good work because I know they do. I’ve worked tours in that firehouse. My point was more to the likelihood of an All Hands being called for more quickly in Midtown than in Harlem. The numbers don’t lie but the quality is more important to me than the quantity. JMO

Last edited:
Who ever made that stat sheet did an outstanding job. Thanks Sig73 for sharing. I remember as a young fireman, staring at the yellow Bell Fire Club annual runs and workers and making side notes. I wasn't interested in an area mostly filled with projects. Just to add to the conversation the numbers are interesting, but they don't tell the whole story, I heard someone mention in Queens, they have the "5 minute- all hands". Having worked in daBronx, Bushwick and Manhattan, each boro is unique to an all hands fire, and I'm sure that goes for Queens and SI as well.

Last edited:
Who ever made that stat sheet did an outstanding job. Thanks Sig73 for sharing. I remember as a young fireman, staring at the yellow Bell Fire Club annual runs and workers and making side notes. I wasn't interested in an area mostly filled with projects. Just to add to the conversation the numbers are interesting, but they don't tell the whole story, I heard someone mention in Queens, they have the "5 minute- all hands". Having worked in daBronx, Bushwick and Manhattan, each boro is unique to an all hands fire, and I'm sure that goes for Queens and SI as well.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the stat sheet. It is a bit unfortunate that each all hands is essentially reduced to a number. As we all know an all-hands could range from being a BS CO incident or a ripping out the windows job and each are seen as equal on a piece of paper.

I would think a rescue company would have the most first due work.
While there are some incidents that require more than one rescue, the vast majority of alarms they respond to that are all hands or greater they are the only rescue responding and therefore first due.

Thats a start Ken, it would be even better if the AH run that Rescue responds on is recorded in whatever the first due truck/ engine was first due.

dan

The stats are really inflated. It is not really a good barometer of the work. The amount of All hands Under Control that normally would be a 10-18 or a 2+2 is up exponentially the last 2-3 years. All these stats do is promote internet folklore and hypothetical buff scenarios. Unfortunately that is the reality. The same 6-8 battalions are doing the steady fire duty and a few outliers here and there but that is it.

Probably 1987 or 88, I was sitting in the kitchen on Webster Ave in the Bronx, it was the change of tours and the DC and his relief were having coffee.
The topic of their conversation was about a meeting the DC had attended at Headquarters where he was told that "2 and 2 jobs don't matter, only fires of ALL Hands or greater count" That night, after midnight, we had a fire directly across the street from the firehouse in a vacant 4 story MD, small fire on the 2nd floor, building was bricked up on the 1st floor, portable to the 2nd floor, line up the ladder, fire was out, no big deal. Probably could have made it a 10-18 (1 and 1). I remember seeing the Deputy walk out of the firehouse in his T-shirt, carrying his radio, the 75 (All Hands) was transmitted, a few minutes later the 3rd due engine rolled in, the Deputy told the officer " you can take up, but don't go 10-8 until you get back to quarters" Same message for R3 and the ALL-Hands Chief when they arrived a few minutes later. He gave Downtown what they wanted, this fire counted, "using 2 and 2" was out and the 75 signal became the norm. Everybody got a mark for a "fire", though I guess some people would argue that some of the companies really didn't work. Does it matter........