FDNY EMS Station and Units

Newbie here forgive the resurrection of an old post....

Seeing ems units like 52H2, 53X3, B50, C843 mentioned, yet i cant seem to match them on the List above? Has the numbering changed?

Wow! Great effort, great info. Pardon my ignorance but this post just expanded my EMS data bank by 1000%!

Newbie here forgive the resurrection of an old post....

Seeing ems units like 52H2, 53X3, B50, C843 mentioned, yet i cant seem to match them on the List above? Has the numbering changed?
52H is at Station 50, I presume 53X is also but, I'm not 100% on that it may be a hospital unit. B50 (Battalion) is the Station Captain, all stations have a BXX assigned to them. C84 is QTRG.

EMS units switch stations relatively often, plus sometimes they go back and forth between FDNY and the voluntary hospitals so it can be difficult to keep track.

52H is at Station 50, I presume 53X is also but, I'm not 100% on that it may be a hospital unit. B50 (Battalion) is the Station Captain, all stations have a BXX assigned to them. C84 is QTRG.

EMS units switch stations relatively often, plus sometimes they go back and forth between FDNY and the voluntary hospitals so it can be difficult to keep track.
Thank You, but the numbers at the end are what? Also what is QTRG?

Thank You, but the numbers at the end are what? Also what is QTRG?
The tour, Tour 1 was over-nights (no FDNY ambulances are currently using Tour 1 since we switched to 12s with the pandemic, but still some voluntaries). Tour 2 is days and Tour 3 is evenings (which now include over-nights in the 12 hour schedule).

QTRG is Queens Tactical Response Group, who along with Bronx Tactical Response Group are deployed throughout the city to address high call volume and enhance units in busy areas as needed. I.e. when we had the pair of Third Alarms in Manhattan going at once, they sent QTRG to Manhattan to backfill our vacancies.

Totally bringing an old thread back...

Even though dated this shows for SI 22/23 that there are around 11 FDNY ambulances for the entire borough? Is there a way to figure out how many Voluntary are there from each of the hospital systems to augment that?

In light of the new EMS divisions, has this list been updated somewhere? Thanks.

In light of the new EMS divisions, has this list been updated somewhere? Thanks.
The list on page 1 is a few years out of date. A new definite listing of all the units within the new division's should be sorted out early next year.

Yes, but it doesn't include the handful of true volunteer units i.e. Volunteer Heart.
Was able to talk to a few EMTs and Medics. Sounds like a handful of BK units get assigned or called into SI everyday now. Wonder if in the new division or contracts we will see an increase in units on the street?

Was able to talk to a few EMTs and Medics. Sounds like a handful of BK units get assigned or called into SI everyday now. Wonder if in the new division or contracts we will see an increase in units on the street?
A handful of units from 43 are assigned to SI as enhancement units, it's been going on for perhaps a year now. Hopefully with the new contract there will be better retention and in turn more members to staff additional units.

Lebby, from the little that I read in the newspaper that contract is nothing but a "Here's a cookie kid, now go away." The City finally got caught with that 37.5 hour week nonsense which was really forty and we never got paid for. How about the no night diff on overtime? Did they rectify that? I hope that these kids today are smart enough to turn it down other wise the attrition rate will remain the same or worse.

Thank you "memory master" and "Lebby" for providing us with all of this information on the FDNY/EMS. You, as well as all of your Brother and Sister Members are Heroes and "I give all of you, your highest respect that is due". You provide (or have provided) life saving services for our largest city in America of 8 or 9 MILLION People, plus the thousands or maybe millions of visitors each and every year.
"Hat's Off To You ALL"

I just wanted to pass along a few words of the days when NYC-EMS provided the front line ambulance service for the city.

A couple of weeks ago, this site owner/administrator John Bendick offered some members to join him in a zoom meeting. That zoom meeting was the focus of two great guys former NYC-EMS as well as retired FDNY members.

We heard stories from both Dan Potter "johnny gage" and Garrett Lundgren "69mets" who both worked in the very busy East N.Y. section of Brooklyn NYC-EMS station. A very dangerous place to be.

The stories they told were UNBELIEVABLE. I think you were on that zoom "lebby" too.

Those guys would go into those buildings all by themselves, with No Backup coming. They would go into those extremely dangerous high rise projects not knowing what they may face. Of course there were the gunshot victims, the stabbings, etc.

After treating the patients they would carry them down the stairs themselves with no help.

Any one of us who has ever responded to a medical call as a first responder can relate to how much help might be needed in even the simplest of incidents. What these guys, as well as all the others who were a part of it, was simply AMAZING. Way beyond what any of us would consider today.

We also had retired Chief Fire Dispatcher Kenny Fisher "atlas" on there join in on the zoom, telling us how it was impossible to get any help for those guys out there in the streets doing the job. He gave specific facts and details of a life saving unit that was in some serious trouble as well as the people who were depending on them

I wish that it was on you tube for everybody to watch. Anybody who heard these guys talk about the service, I'm quite sure would feel the same way I did in hearing it.

Willy, I enjoyed the zoom meeting with Garrett. Much like the FDNY back during the war years that operated differently, "learning as you go with limited resources", so did we at EMS, an untold story for the ages. Back then NYC EMS was part of Health and Hospitals. One of many significant differences, the EMS was not organized as well as the FDNY and you made your own idividual decisions. The chain of command was almost non-existant, especially during the graveyard shift, you made "do" according to the circumstance.

East New York had seven fire companies, one Police Pct with hundreds of officers and only ONE EMT in an ambulance driven by a non-EMT (who just sat in the bus) serving a poverty stricken and violent community. Cops had guns, firefighters had axes, I had a flashlight and the gift of gab.

Terminology such as MCI (Multiple Casualty Incident) did not exist, in fact there was no such thing as a MCI protocol for multiple stab or gun shot victims, you simply handled the call by yourself. I very rarely called the FDNY for any help, they were busy doing their own thing. One particular "MCI" I'll share again was a car that overturned on the Belt Parkway not far from Starret City one early morning. As I pulled up, it was a small sedan, upside down with eleven victims still inside including three extra large women and an infant. I requested another "Bus", but was told "you got it" by the dispatcher. No fire, no ESU, just me, the high cattails and a police officer slosshing through the marshland.

Working for EMS as a twenty one year old, in the highest crime area called East New York was one of the most thrilling and unbelievable experiences of my life. An incredible job, during an incredible time in an incredible neighborhood. I wouldn't change a minute of it...I am very thankful to have shared that experience with Garrett, now a lifelong Brother!

Last edited:
Previously I mentioned "making the nights go by quickly", well one night I was working an 0100x0900 on a unit out of Metropolitan Hospital which was Station 15 at the time and now Battalion 10. It was winter, January or February, and it was one of those nights that the temp was at about 5 below or so. Our assigned corner was on Amsterdam Avenue around 100 street. Not one job, not one! The radio was practically non-existent. I couldn't believe a "no hitter" in Harlem. The ending to this story is...that was one hell of a looooooooong night. (P.S. The first and last that I ever had.)