New Units

mack

Administrator
History has shown that new FDNY units typically come from disbanded FDNY units.  Converting engines to squads is different, but new companies usually are formed from existing units.  Unless there is a source of new funding given to the Department, a new ladder company in Harlem, or a new battalion in Queens, will likely come from an existing unit.  I do hope there are new units and also that I am wrong about losing existing ones.

Putting another BN in QNS i would think would require relocating more than 1 BN to evenly spread them out....for example when the 59 was in 275 the 51 was then in 294.

Staten Island needs new units there is no question there, the past 2 days there have been at least 2 all hands per day in Staten Island, the other day they had a 4 alarm fire.

Engine 168 has plenty of room for a ladder, even converting 168 to a Squad might not be bad idea.
1 New BC is needed

Relocating a Bronx BC to Queens, I don't see that happening.

68jk09 said:
enginecap said:
i did hear rumors...trucks are doing 5000 runs or close to it, but i just don't see them opening new companies.  What we might see though is modifying the response matrix in order to make more companies available.  The modified response program has worked well, so now it would be easier to just start leaving some of the companies in quarters
I would think that leaving Units in qtrs could be steps away from closing some.
you are absolutely correct...and that very well may have been the idea behind the Modified Response policy.  The job now has stats on how many times the 2nd truck or the 2nd engine on a modified response run was actually used.  That ammunition will allow them to change response matrix or close companies even. 

I think it would be political suicide for any politician to talk about closures when they just went on record touting the busiest year EVER with over 519,000 runs. It's more likely that they will look to reposition companies to even out coverage.

baileyjeff said:
Staten Island needs new units there is no question there, the past 2 days there have been at least 2 all hands per day in Staten Island, the other day they had a 4 alarm fire.

Engine 168 has plenty of room for a ladder, even converting 168 to a Squad might not be bad idea.
1 New BC is needed

Relocating a Bronx BC to Queens, I don't see that happening.

I see a Sq and maybe, MAYBE a truck going to 168. The SQ will not be 168, i can all but guarantee that. I doubt we'll get a Batt before one of those.

Seems like alot of crying by truck guys doing to many runs. Most left the engine to do less especially ems. Well sorry to break it to you within a few years trucks will also be doing ems. Instead of opening more companies how about bringing the 5th man back to all engines???

I am by far an expert, but I would like an experts opinion. If relocations occur what companies would you see moved around or even closed?

Bulldog

Bulldog
DAN S. said:
Seems like alot of crying by truck guys doing to many runs. Most left the engine to do less especially ems. Well sorry to break it to you within a few years trucks will also be doing ems. Instead of opening more companies how about bringing the 5th man back to all engines???
It really seems like in many ways this would be very beneficial.  Especially at All Hands and multiple alarm fires many of the companies, especially the engines, just park their rigs because they need the manpower at the scene.  If the companies have more manpower you could dispatch fewer engines to the fire and still have the same amount of manpower.  You'd save the cost of the purchase for the trucks as well as the maintenance costs, sounds like in the long run there would be significant savings by doing this!

mack

Administrator
The issue for more companies (squads, trucks, battalions) is not lack of manpower at fires or emergencies.  It is primarily response time.  Adding a 5th or 6th FF would be great but still would not address sparse coverage in certain parts of the city. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
mack said:
The issue for more companies (squads, trucks, battalions) is not lack of manpower at fires or emergencies.  It is primarily response time.  Adding a 5th or 6th FF would be great but still would not address sparse coverage in certain parts of the city.
Well it would at least partially help that situation because you wouldn't have so many pieces of apparatus responding on every call.  Granted there will still be some long runs and sparse coverage areas but in general you would keep more pieces of apparatus and service at any given time.

DAN S. said:
When I was on the job, you picked your poison: the engines did lot's of ERS 'no contacts' and the trucks did lot's of water leaks, stuck, occupied elevators and steam leaks. There was also a good amount of structural fire duty to be had for engines and trucks..

Adaptive response, manpower squads (with engine apparatus) and tactical control units were gimmicks, initiated by FC/COD O'Hagan as a quick fix for an ever increasing workload during what has become known as the war years and in many cases, these attempts to address the problems simply didn't work.
And just think, during the war years we didn't have engines responding to EMS calls, squads as special operations companies, SOC support trucks, etc
While restoring the fifth man on engine companies would be great, the real problem that has to be addressed is the lack of firefighting units in certain parts of the city which contribute to long response times and long runs.
THe FDNY has a long history of making due with less. It's about time the city did right by the job.

Let's start some rumors. ..

In the Bronx

L27 moves to E42

L56 to E97

E46  to 2d section on City Island

lol....none of them remotely make any sense but i know it was tongue in cheek.  You guys have got to get off the E97 train....They are not getting a truck.  L61, L51 and L32 get in there quick enough....L 41 too in some spots

3511 said:
Let's start some rumors. ..

In the Bronx

L27 moves to E42

L56 to E97

E46  to 2d section on City Island

I like this game...

SQ55 Organized

FDNY chopper

London Style Helmets

Return of the Super Pumper

Diamond tipped Halligans

raybrag said:
Tommy B:

See what you started? :eek: :eek: :eek:

At least it wasn't you this time, right Ray !!!

Not to throw a wrench in this, but I heard Ladder 27 going to Engine 97.

How about:  Bloomberg moves to either Grymes Hill (SI) or City Island and 20 new companies are formed in the area with an Engine, a Truck, a Battalion, a HazMat, an EMS bus and a Rescue stationed immediately outside the property line.