New Units

Charging in 113 said:
You also have to consider all volunteer companies that are down in breezy point I belive there Are three may be four so the need for a truck company it's any really needed
This is NYC in which Fire Protection consists of  a paid FD.....reliance on the volleys is not an excuse for undermanning.

LMAO....i cannot believe that i am reading comments about volunteer fire units.  We all tip our hat to them but they do not factor into the equation....ever.

mack

Administrator
If you live on far end of Breezy Point, Ladder 137 is 5.7 miles away (14 minutes Google drive time).  Ladder 121 is 6.2 miles away (16 minutes). New homes built after fire are 2 stories on 7 foot foundations. 

If you live in Travis SI in a development on the far end of Victory Boulevard, Ladder 86 is 3.8 miles away (7 minutes) and Ladder 87 is 5.3 miles away (12 minutes). Other areas in SI have similar distances for ladder coverage.

If you live on Craig Avenue in Tottenville SI, Squad 1 in Brooklyn is 24.7 miles away (46 minutes).

Last ladder company organized on SI was Ladder 87 in 1987.  SI population has increased 100K since then (373K to 473K). 

Last battalion organized on SI was Bn 23 in 1930.  SI population has increased 315K since then (158K to 473K).

There are also other areas in the city with lengthy responses and sparse coverage. 

mack said:
If you live on far end of Breezy Point, Ladder 137 is 5.7 miles away (14 minutes Google drive time).  Ladder 121 is 6.2 miles away (16 minutes). New homes built after fire are 2 stories on 7 foot foundations. 

If you live in Travis SI in a development on the far end of Victory Boulevard, Ladder 86 is 3.8 miles away (7 minutes) and Ladder 87 is 5.3 miles away (12 minutes). Other areas in SI have similar distances for ladder coverage.

If you live on Craig Avenue in Tottenville SI, Squad 1 in Brooklyn is 24.7 miles away (46 minutes).

Last ladder company organized on SI was Ladder 87 in 1987.  SI population has increased 100K since then (373K to 473K). 

Last battalion organized on SI was Bn 23 in 1930.  SI population has increased 315K since then (158K to 473K).

There are also other areas in the city with lengthy responses and sparse coverage.

From living around the corner from 137's quarters for a year it takes 121 a long time to get down to 116 street, so I'm sure there's more than a 2 minute difference between 121 and 137

There are alot of areas where new companies could cut down on response times. Throggs Neck has been built up substantialy since the early 70'S when 57 truck was supposed to be put in service with eng 72 but never was.  I believe that 50 truck has one of the largest first due areas in the bronx. 47 and 54 are 2nd and 3rd trucks and with castle hill and soundview as busy as they are this often leads to lad 41 or 61 being special called. Long runs for both companies.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some ideas:
Manhattan - add an Engine to Lad 25 du to the Westside apt house development. Replacement to E-74 who moved to E-56 qtrs.
Manhattan - add an Eng to Lad 8 area to replace Eng 27 due to increase development & increase population.
Bronx - Ladder to Eng 72 or 97 to reduce several very large ladder response areas.
Bronx - Rearrange Bronx BC  so that there is another BC to split BC 3,15, 18, & 20 area.
Queens - Re-establish Eng 261 due to increase of high-rise buildings in that community.
Queens - Establish a new Batt Ch. Rearrange the existing battalions. Maybe at Eng 305 or 324.
Queens - Establish a Ladder Co in Queens for the Rockaways at Eng 266 (doubt that the city will not re-establish L-171 @ E-329)
Brooklyn - Leave Lad 159 in Eng 323 Qtrs.
Brooklyn - Establish a Ladder Co at Eng 321.
Brooklyn - Make Eng 309 a Squad. Also to support the Rockaway's & Bklyn South.
Brooklyn - add a Battalion to Brooklyn South area.
Staten Is - Survey the island to see where additional fire stations are needed. Back in 62 after over 100 homes were lost to a brush fire, the city stated that SI needed a dozen additional fire stations. Since then only 5 stations were built & one was closed.
Station Is - one or two Batt are needed. Batt 22 & 23 areas are too large.
Station Is - A squad is needed.... look at Eng 152 & not 165.  Eng 165 has one of the largest first due areas in the city. Currently E-165 is a Haz-Tech unit. Making 152 into a Squad with increase the Haz-tech capabilities on the island. There is an heavy amount of commercial traffic & shipping currently on the island. Eng 159 with Sat 5 respond on all S.I. all hands & that would leave two adjacent areas open. Not a smart move. 

I really do love the idea of making Eng 309 a squad company. To support the rocks ways and south Brooklyn.And leaving Tl 159 at Eng 323 and adding a truck company maybe a rear mound at Eng 321 but I don't think that the city would approve any of that due to them renovating Eng 309 house.

this is a fun fantasy but we are not getting more units...we cannot staff the units that we now have adequately.  If anything, you will see units closed.  Every neighborhood cannot have a truck and/or an engine...would be nice but not happening

I don't think we're asking about units for every neighborhood, but at least here on Staten Island, some additional coverage would be nice. Look at any major storm, or anything above a 2nd alarm...it's clear the need is there for SOME additional protection. I shudder to think what may happen if the VN has heavy traffic and something bad happens here, or if theres a huge job in Brooklyn and something happens here. Its only a matter of time till one of those scenarios plays out and lives are lost.

enginecap said:
this is a fun fantasy but we are not getting more units...we cannot staff the units that we now have adequately.  If anything, you will see units closed.  Every neighborhood cannot have a truck and/or an engine...would be nice but not happening
I am not really getting into the fantasy part of this discussion which some time might be counter productive by giving the bean counters some idea's that they might use to under cut us but could you please clarify the statement "we cannot staff the units that we now have adequately" ??.

That was poorly stated on my part....we get them staffed but overtime is through the roof and we can't put enough probies through the academy to catch up....still reeling from 9/11 and the legal problems of the previous entrance exam

SI: Add a Squad vs. changing an Engine Co. to a Squad, add a Battalion also. Span of control in all of the SI Battalions are way too high with the highest being 1 to 11. Span of control should top out at 1 to 7

Queens: Add 2 Battalions, same reason as SI