News of Members

I remember you too "Catry". Welcome back.

Some of the characters you remember are still here, only they are a little older now. Some like myself, even got a little "fatter".

I hope you'll read through the News of Members. You may remember some of the guys too.

nfd2004 said:
I remember you too "Catry". Welcome back.

Some of the characters you remember are still here, only they are a little older now. Some like myself, even got a little "fatter".

I hope you'll read through the News of Members. You may remember some of the guys too.

"Fatter" is just another way of saying "well fed and looked after"  ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome back to everyone - I miss writing rundowns as well! If I do get the chance I'll try to get some up again though it does look like some decent folks have stepped in.

And IRISH/fdny1075k -a Special yes, not London though - I'm out in the sticks as they'd say!

nfd2004 said:
The Hartford Fire Department in Connecticut has a select few who are allowed to go beyond the fire lines to photograph the fires and various incidents involving the department. We have two of these Fire Department Photographers who are on this site with us. They are well respected by the members of the Hartford Fire Department, as well as the surrounding departments. In fact, I think it is safe to say that "they are well respected individuals beyond those towns".

The two members are Pat D, "Patrickfd" and Sean F, "FlashoverImages". Both also have their own web sites with their photos posted.

Pat's site is - www.squadfirephotos.smugmug.com

Sean's site is - www.flashoverImages.com

Take my word for it, "they are good people". (Ain't that right guys !!! )

Thanks for the shoutout Willy D!  I know "Big Mike" L. will be back in the state sometime in the next few days, so we should try to meet up at the Piano Bar for a bite and some catching up.  Give me a call to let me know!

FlashoverImages said:
Thanks for the shoutout Willy D!  I know "Big Mike" L. will be back in the state sometime in the next few days, so we should try to meet up at the Piano Bar for a bite and some catching up.  Give me a call to let me know!

I will do that Sean. And like most dedicated fire buff/photographers, Sean, Pat and all the others can testify that this had to be one of the toughest and coldest winters we've had here in the Tri State area (NY, NJ, CT) in a very long time. Boston had recorded 96 inches of snow piled high on those narrow city streets. One morning (7 am) at the Ole' Homestead, about 120 miles northeast of NYC, it was MINUS 12 degrees. Yes, 12 degrees below zero and with the wind blowing. I took a picture of it from my computer as proof. I'm sure it felt like 40 below. Firefighters, police officers, EMS, and buffs alike were all out there doing what they do best.

But this also leads me to another group of individuals who were out there. They were out there 24 hours a day also. Those were the Con Ed and Utility workers throughout our cities and towns. They were out in that bitter cold weather too. One such individual who some of us know from this site goes by the name of "fdce54". For those who don't know, it's Frank D who is a supervisor for Con Eds Gas Division in Westchester County. He formerly worked the streets of the South Bronx.

As many of us know, Frank D was scheduled to retired on November 1st, 2014, just as the weather was starting to get cold. We were all very happy to hear about that and that he would join the ranks of many retired individuals on this site. We told him how he would be able to look out the window and watch those people go to work on those cold mornings. He could have his nice hot cup of hot chocolate with marsh mellows and go back to bed if he wanted to.

Suddenly, a turn for the worst. Just as Frank was about to retire, some co worker(s) in their hopes of not loosing their favorite boss, waved a little extra cash in front of him. They told him if he stayed longer he could have that. Well, it was like giving candy to a baby. Frank told them "Yes, I'll stay". They all loved it and rejoiced at their joyous occasion. Meantime, some of us here tried to convince him otherwise. But we had no candy to offer him. As a result, he changed his retirement date from November 1, 2014 to July 1, 2015.

Well, the winter weather came upon us and our good friend took one hell of a ba hine whoopen.  He was out there in the middle of the worst of it. He himself has admitted that this was the worst winter he ever had. Why didn't he listen to his REAL Friends ? I can assure everyone here as I write this, that "he will NEVER do that again". I believe he has learned himself a very good lesson. For "fdce54" the worst is behind him now. He is counting every day to July 1st. When that retirement does finally come, we will again try to help him celebrate what he should have done months ago.

I think most of us here are all very happy that this winter is finally over. But nobody is more happier than the guy we know simply as "fdce54".

nfd2004 said:
FlashoverImages said:

I will do that Sean. And like most dedicated fire buff/photographers, Sean, Pat and all the others can testify that this had to be one of the toughest and coldest winters we've had here in the Tri State area (NY, NJ, CT) in a very long time. Boston had recorded 96 inches of snow piled high on those narrow city streets. One morning (7 am) at the Ole' Homestead, about 120 miles northeast of NYC, it was MINUS 12 degrees. Yes, 12 degrees below zero and with the wind blowing. I took a picture of it from my computer as proof. I'm sure it felt like 40 below. Firefighters, police officers, EMS, and buffs alike were all out there doing what they do best.

But this also leads me to another group of individuals who were out there. They were out there 24 hours a day also. Those were the Con Ed and Utility workers throughout our cities and towns. They were out in that bitter cold weather too. One such individual who some of us know from this site goes by the name of "fdce54". For those who don't know, it's Frank D who is a supervisor for Con Eds Gas Division in Westchester County. He formerly worked the streets of the South Bronx.

As many of us know, Frank D was scheduled to retired on November 1st, 2014, just as the weather was starting to get cold. We were all very happy to hear about that and that he would join the ranks of many retired individuals on this site. We told him how he would be able to look out the window and watch those people go to work on those cold mornings. He could have his nice hot cup of hot chocolate with marsh mellows and go back to bed if he wanted to.

Suddenly, a turn for the worst. Just as Frank was about to retire, some co worker(s) in their hopes of not loosing their favorite boss, waved a little extra cash in front of him. They told him if he stayed longer he could have that. Well, it was like giving candy to a baby. Frank told them "Yes, I'll stay". They all loved it and rejoiced at their joyous occasion. Meantime, some of us here tried to convince him otherwise. But we had no candy to offer him. As a result, he changed his retirement date from November 1, 2014 to July 1, 2015.

Well, the winter weather came upon us and our good friend took one hell of a ba hine whoopen.  He was out there in the middle of the worst of it. He himself has admitted that this was the worst winter he ever had. Why didn't he listen to his REAL Friends ? I can assure everyone here as I write this, that "he will NEVER do that again". I believe he has learned himself a very good lesson. For "fdce54" the worst is behind him now. He is counting every day to July 1st. When that retirement does finally come, we will again try to help him celebrate what he should have done months ago.

I think most of us here are all very happy that this winter is finally over. But nobody is more happier than the guy we know simply as "fdce54".
What cold winter? It's beautiful out! And I'm heading down to Yonkers to watch the YFD do their thing. 8)

I don't know, Chief .  .  .  there's only one guy I can think of .  .  .  but there's no Big Mac on the patch.

raybrag said:
I don't know, Chief .  .  .  there's only one guy I can think of .  .  .  but there's no Big Mac on the patch.
You never know what's under that hat.

Let's all welcome back Connecticut's Brother "jciscone", formerly of Brooklyn, NY. (see his post in Apparatus Section - New Heavy Rescues reply # 51).

"jciscone" himself a firefighter, covers the New Haven, Ct area for fires and major incidents and his photos can be found on his web site, which is;  www.cisconefirephotos.smugmug.com .

He is also the IAFF Union President for the City of East Haven, Ct Firefighters.

Well, how about that guy that calls himself "fltpara16". What do we know about him ?

To begin with for those who don't know him, his name is Steve E. He is a father and recently became a grandfather. He lives in a far away place called Virginia.

Steve was once a Flight Paramedic. That's where individuals in very serious condition depended on him to keep them alive while flying in a helicopter to a major hospital. In order to ride in a helicopter then with Steve, you had to be in some pretty serious shape. My guess is that once up in the air, the medic that is trying to keep you alive, has got to know his stuff. This is not the place to play games or hope you have some idea of what you are doing.

I'm not exactly sure how many years Steve did this job. But I have to wonder what it must have been like just to do one shift on that medical helicopter. How many lives did this guy really save during his job ? Countless, I'm sure. You just gotta respect anybody who can do that job.

Of course there is more. Steve has been a firefighter in a growing county fire department in Virginia. I guess he has about 21 years on the job now and he has risen to the rank of Battalion Chief. As a Battalion Chief in this department, you are the boss within the entire county. It's all yours. Whatever goes down, "you got it". In some cases, he has a response time of 20-25 minutes of getting on the scene. Providing a "10-12" is more of the norm than not. Steve gave some of us a tour of his department a year or two ago. I think we were all pretty impressed.

Steve is also a volunteer firefighter in his home town. It was at that firehouse were those guys treated us to some great chow and gave us a tour also. Also interesting was the fact that a retired FDNY Lt and a retired member of the NYPD joined us. The FDNY member had worked Rescue 2 and Ladder 124 during their busy War Years. Those of us around for that know how busy those two companies were. The member of the NYPD had worked the famous Fort Apache in the Bronx. They made a movie about that police pct simply called; "Fort Apache the Bronx". It was quite a place. Sharing stories and hearing the stories from other firefighters was certainly enjoyable. But if it hadn't been for Steve E., aka "fltpara16", it wouldn't have happened.

Every one of us here who know Steve would attest to the fact of what a gentleman he really is. With 21 years on the job, maybe retirement is in a couple more years. But unlike his buddy "fdce54", when Steve is ready to retire he should make that decision and go.

By the way, as of this date (6/7/2015), the guy (fdce54) that was supposed to retire last November, 2014 has only "23" more days to go, so he says. We'll see if he keeps his word this time. 

Proud Day for myself last Saturday. Myself and 3 friends joined 230 others to take part in a Charity Cycle across Ireland from County Kildare on Irelands East Coast to Galway City on Irelands West Coast.

212 Kilometres (132 Miles) in 13 Hrs of High Wind and Heavy Rain at times all in aid of our national suicide charity

Very tough day but very worthwhile in the end

Great job there me Irish lad.

"Irish" as he is called, actually Declean, comes all the way from Ireland to visit a few site members here and check out the FDNY. Not exactly a senior citizen yet, but the guys are willing to wait for him to catch up.