News of Members

Way to go Dec! Looking forward to hearing the stories and raise a glass to your accomplishment in the near future!

Willy D, thanks for the kind words.  I spent just shy of 12 years on the helicopter.  A great experience and hopefully a few people are better off for it.  As for retirement, the date is set for October 1, 2019!  8)

IRISH said:
Proud Day for myself last Saturday. Myself and 3 friends joined 230 others to take part in a Charity Cycle across Ireland from County Kildare on Irelands East Coast to Galway City on Irelands West Coast.

212 Kilometres (132 Miles) in 13 Hrs of High Wind and Heavy Rain at times all in aid of our national suicide charity

Very tough day but very worthwhile in the end

I can see it was very worthwhile in the end. Well done to you and your three lads, Dec.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "Atlas", (6/12) and many more.

We consider you as a part of "The Greatest Generation" as you were there too. Plus, we appreciate all you have done for many of us on here.

P.S. - How about that Frankie D., (fdce54) ? Is that the way you wanted me to say it ? ?

ANYWAY, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" !!!

nfd2004 said:
  At the young age of 10, site member "auxlteng225", Walter K., walked into the quarters of Engine Co 225. That goes back to 1941. Walter spent many days there and the members of Brooklyn's Two and a Quarter seemed to take him under their wing. Then in 1950, "auxlteng225" went into the Navy coming out in 1954. He then returned to Engine Co 225 and left again to serve as a U.S. Merchant Marine on the Viet Nam sea lift supplying ammo and bombs to Thailand, Danang, Vung Tao and Saigon.

Walter says of his days with Engine Co 225; "I will be forever grateful for the firefighting education I received from the FDNY, in particular from Engine 225 where he was nicknamed "Quiz Kid".

Walter K, "auxlteng225", became a police officer and was promoted to Sargent in the Village of Haverstraws in Rockland County. He also became a volunteer firefighter in the Spring Valley Fire Dept in 1968 at the Spring Valley H & L Co # 1. He rose through the ranks there and served as:
    Captain 1982/1983
    B/C 1983/1985
    D/C 1985/1987
    Chief 1987/1989
  He is still an inactive member of the department.

Today Walter is 83 years old. He may very well be the oldest member on this site (even older than "Johnd248" or "mikeindabronx"). At 83 years old, Walter still likes to golf, hunt, fish, and skeet shoot. He also enjoys this site very much.

Walter, you've certainly done your share for society. You have certainly dedicated your life to helping others. We appreciate what you have done. Let us know when your next birthday is and a couple of us guys will head up your way with a few bags White Castle Sinkers, a big cake and maybe a few ladies to help liven up the party.

A VERY HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY to Walter K., aka "auxlteng225", who was born on FLAG DAY, June 14th, a long time ago.

If that quote above is correct, that puts "auxlteng225" at 84 years old. I think that also makes him the SENIOR MAN here. Even guys like "mikeindabronx" and "johnd248" have to respect that.

Anybody whose been around a firehouse knows that the Senior Man carries a lot of weight when it comes to calling the shots. So if there's anything you want, let us know and we'll get it done. You want a visit by a few of the guys here, "we can do that". You want a Belated Birthday cake, we can do that too. You want a few dancing girls for entertainment, maybe "mikeindabronx" or "johnd248" can round up a couple of their old sweethearts from their high school days to liven it up a bit.

So Walter, Happy Birthday. We hope you are in good health and thank you for your contributions here and your years of service to society as well.

Let us all give "Thanks and Praise" for this very special day, June 23rd, as we celebrate together, The Birthday of the Most Reverend "CFDMarshall", aka Elwood E.

From a far away place we call Tennessee, a young man who has taught us so much, was born on this day many years ago. How many years ago ? Better if we don't ask or tell.

Those of us that have had the honor of meeting the Most Reverend CF know very well, his beliefs and thoughts on life, only as the kind of man of the cloth, he represents. We have welcomed him into "Our Fold", just as he has welcomed each of us into his.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes go out today, (6/23), to member "CFDMarshall", aka Elwood E. 

Thank you very much! I have to report that I was trapped on a cruise ship for 5 days but now I am free!