News of Members

nfd2004 said:
Thanks "Irish" for the update.

I will say this, "a couple of handsome guys in that photo".

When you guys meet up in October, a couple of those fine looking, NYC girls, wanted to meet you. My phone hasn't stopped ringing since a few of my lady friends saw that picture.

I told them that you wouldn't have any time for them. So they got mad at me and hung up.

No Problem Willy D

I now have a NEW Update

The Rev left Ireland this am at 11am and will be on the site when he gets home.

This morning i took part with 3,000 others in an 100km (62 Mile) Cycle around North County Dublin. When i crossed the Finish Line i stood waiting for my friend to Finish. My Phone rang and the number was an Irish one i didn't recognise. I answered and i heard "Dec is this you?" in a Bronx accent

YES it was Frank "fdce54". I told him it was great to hear from him as we all thought he was dead. Hes had a real busy wk staying with family. Saw where his Grand Parents where born (the house still exists) although now empty and has been all over Ireland

He said to let you all know hes ok eating and drinking very well. We spent 25mins chatting (he said he kissed the Blarney Store this wk) so i couldn't get him to shut up although i dont think that was ever a problem for Frank

He has 1 week left here and is off to Kerry this week. He'll also update when hes home

He also said that when he was with his family this week in County Leitrim (Leitrim is a very quiet county where nothing ever happens) He witnessed an armed robbery on a Bank  :eek:

I suppose you can take the man out of the Bronx but not the Bronx out of the man lol

Back in Tennessee! Thanks for the hospitality Dec! The bike ride Dec mentioned cost me a slight delay in my taxi ride to the Airport. If anyone has ever pondered a trip to Ireland, do yourself a favor and go! My third trip to the emrald Isle and each one is the best ever.

nfd2004 said:
On a tragic day in April, 2013, two bombs went off in the streets of Boston as the Marathon was taking place. For one woman named Rose Ann Sdoia she would pay a very steep price for being an innocent bystander. She would loose her leg and have to go through months of therapy learning to walk again.

On that day, as the first bomb went off, some Boston Firefighters were in the area. Of course they immediately headed in the direction of those injured. Then a Second Bomb went off much closer. One firefighter named Mike Materia ran to the aid of this woman who was still conscious but bleeding from her injury. Her leg had been severed. A belt was used as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. That firefighter attempted to wave down passing ambulances responding to the first bombing with no success. He stayed with her not knowing if a third or fourth bomb would go off. He was finally able to get a police van where she was put into and transported to the hospital. Firefighter Materia rode in that van with her as she struggled to remain conscious from her life threatening injury. Firefighter Materia was able to keep her alive as he talked to her and held her hand.

Today, Rose Ann Sdoia, the woman who lost her leg, is demonstrating to the world how she is moving forward with an upbeat positive attitude despite what she has had to endure. She now travels telling her story. She is a role model for each and every one of us.

And Firefighter Mike Materia, the firefighter that rode with her in that police van holding her hand and keeping her alive, is the son of our site member "mack". A frequent contributor to this site.

"macks" son Mike, also served three tours in Iraq with the Special Forces before going on the Boston Fire Dept. He now travels often with the woman who is so grateful to him for saving her life. They have become a couple together.

Today there is some talk of making a movie. But the story of Rose Ann Sodia and Boston Firefighter Mike Materia is not a movie but a TRUE story of a role model and a hero.

For those of us that know "mack", we know what a really a great guy he is. He has given me a personnel tour of some firehouses, a military base, and places of interest in the Va/DC area. He himself a West Point graduate with two masters degrees. A retired high ranking Army Officer. He has a very high respect for firefighters, and I'm pretty sure, all of us that know him, have a pretty high amount of respect for him also.

Thanks for all your contributions to this site and THANK YOU for all you've done for me and all the others. For me, I consider it an honor to be your friend. And I hope some day I will be able to meet your son Mike and Rose Ann.

In the above quote is a very brief story of "mack" and his son, a Boston Firefighter.

"mack" is the originator of the most popular thread on this web site. It is in the "History Section" called; "FDNY and NYC Firehouses". As of today, 9/27/2015, it has reached over 302,000 views. Pretty tough for any of us to beat that one.

BUT .... "Where is Mack today" ? Many of us know "mack" personally from this site. He has done so much for so many of us here. Not only that, but about two years ago when there were two LODDs of Boston Firefighters, "mack" took $10,000 of his own money to have Memorial T-shirts made up and he started a fund raiser for the families of those two firefighters. Last I heard, over $50,000 has been donated to those families of those two Boston Firefighters (Lt Eddie Walsh and FF Mike Kennedy - RIP). Macks son worked the same firehouse with those two firefighters and worked that fire with them as well.

Of course for those of us that know "mack", we know that there is much more to add to the kind of character that our friend "mack" really is.

But where is "mack" now ? Well first let me bring the good news to you. That "mack" is doing fine. In fact, just recently he spent a tour riding with site member B/C Steve E., aka "fltpara16", in Virginia. He is still working his fulltime job at the Pentagon and he is still "into the fire dept". Including being a volunteer firefighter in a very busy firehouse in Fairfax County, Va.

Mack spent a lot of time working on that "FDNY and NYC Firehouse" thread for all of us. In addition to that, his dedication to the fire service as a volunteer firefighter and training involved, the T-shirt sales, helping U.S. Military Veterans, including a few personnel friends of mine, helping many of us with our own interest, and never saying "NO" takes a lot of time. Plus working that fulltime job. It can't all be done in only 24 hours a day.

I guess when all priorities where looked over, the best place for mack to gain a few hours was by cutting back on this site a little. So that's what he had to do.

But I just wanted to pass on that site member "mack" is doing just fine these days. He's still into it, just like when he was a young guy and his father was a member of the FDNY.

I would like everyone to know what a fine Chief's Aide Mack is!  Although we didn't have any workers, we did catch some runs.  It was a Yo-Yo shift.  That is where you respond out and almost get to the call, then are placed in service and are pulled back to quarters.  We did this numerous times, thus yo-yoing for most of the tour.  It was a great time and good to have company as I traversed the county.  Looking forward to having Mack again come ride sometime in the future.

And I am also looking forward to getting our one and only "Willy D" to come and ride as "guest aide" for a tour! There is a Mickey D's within 3 minutes of the firehouse where the Battalion is quartered...

fltpara16 said:
I would like everyone to know what a fine Chief's Aide Mack is!  Although we didn't have any workers, we did catch some runs.  It was a Yo-Yo shift.  That is where you respond out and almost get to the call, then are placed in service and are pulled back to quarters.  We did this numerous times, thus yo-yoing for most of the tour.  It was a great time and good to have company as I traversed the county.  Looking forward to having Mack again come ride sometime in the future.

And I am also looking forward to getting our one and only "Willy D" to come and ride as "guest aide" for a tour! There is a Mickey D's within 3 minutes of the firehouse where the Battalion is quartered...

I might have to take you up on that one Chief.

But if we are at that Mickey D's enjoying those all beef patties and a run comes in, "don't worry Chief, you go ahead and go". "I'll catch ya on the next one". 

CFDMarshal said:
Back in Tennessee! Thanks for the hospitality Dec! The bike ride Dec mentioned cost me a slight delay in my taxi ride to the Airport. If anyone has ever pondered a trip to Ireland, do yourself a favor and go! My third trip to the emrald Isle and each one is the best ever.

No problem Elwood a pleasure to have you in Dublin. Next Time bring some Tennessee Sun with you

As for "Mack" another small add on to "nfd2004" great write up. The Lt Eddie Walsh and FF Mike Kennedy - RIP T-Shirts Mack brought down to our get together last year he gave out to Firefighters in the FDNY Houses we visited. When i Returned to E316 a few days after our get together ended 2 FF's where wearing the Lt Eddie Walsh and FF Mike Kennedy T-Shirts.  A great show of respect for the 2 fallen Boston Jakes

Took a photo of this rig in Dublin. I understand the foam part but environmental. It was traveling behind two horse drawn sight seeing buggies. Maybe that explains the environmental aspect. Dec, can you help out?

fdce54 said:
Took a photo of this rig in Dublin. I understand the foam part but environmental. It was traveling behind two horse drawn sight seeing buggies. Maybe that explains the environmental aspect. Dec, can you help out?

Frank. The Foam & Environmental or FoE Unit is used for fighting large scale fires & chemical incidents. It has a deck gun loaded on the back of the rig

It was placed in service long overdue in 2013/2014 5 years behind schedule as its registered in 2009 for a number of reasons. There are a few environmental units in place in Ireland but nothing that looks like this

On the downside its being called out alot lately as its seen as an appliance to "surround and drown" persay meaning FFs are not getting called out :(

Attachments

• Dublin-17-7-2014-1405762871.jpg
    Dublin-17-7-2014-1405762871.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 289
Congratulations and Best Wishes goes out to site member "Truck 4" on his recent promotion to Lt in the Yonkers Police Department.

A few years back he took the time to come in and show some of us the many units and operations of the Yonkers Police Dept Emergency Service unit. A good friend to many here and we wish him all the best.

truck4

Administrator
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Only one more promotional exam to go!

He was once nominated for this sites Most Valuable Player. Today, with over 15,000 post on this site, he continues to hold that title.

I can only be referring to Nycfire.net site member "mikeindabronx", aka Mike D. Many of us are also aware of his own web site featuring his excellent photos of the FDNY in action during the busy 1980s (www.fdnysbravest.com ). Mike is a good personnel friend to many of us on here, as well as to many members of the FDNY.

But Mike might be a little bit under the weather for a day or two. So if you don't see him posting, you'll understand why.

Mike will soon be fine again, but for now, "I just want to wish him well".