News of Members

nfd2004 said:
Latest news of Our Most Valuable Player Mike D., aka "mikeindabronx".

As many of you know Mike has been taking pictures of members of the FDNY and the many jobs he's been to over the last few decades. He's published a book about it called; "New York's Bravest - Their Lives on the Line". And he also has his own great web site of pictures from the busiest years of the FDNY to our most recent years.

Very often at his own expense he makes up photos for members that have been at the hundreds of fires he's covered. Also he'll make up photos for the fire company operating as a group to be displayed in the firehouse.

Recently in appreciation for the work that Mike has done, the members of Engine Co 62 and Ladder Co 32 presented him with a plaque they made up for him. As I understand it, this plaque has a helmet front piece on it, with the 62/32 company symbol.

Congratulations Mike on your many years of dedicated work within the FDNY, putting your special photography skills together for so many of us to appreciate. Your photos have recorded some of the most historic years in the history of the FDNY.

I think it's safe to say that the members of Engine 62 and Ladder 32 speak for ALL of us in appreciation for the work that you do. A man who is very well respected by the members of the FDNY, buffs and many of us who know him personally.

We Thank you Mike for what you do and I hope that you proudly display that plaque for everyone to see. We are also very grateful for what the members of 62/32 have done as well. 

Once again, here is the web site that Mike has put together for all of us to enjoy.

www.fdnysbravest.com

The words on that plaque are as follows:

Quote:
  Presented to Mike Dick
  For your many years of Generosity and Friendship
  With much Appreciation and Gratitude
  E62 "The Gunhill Gang" L32
End of Quote.

I have a photo of that plaque he received. I'm going to pass it on to some of the members and maybe somebody can post it on here for everybody to see.

St Patricks Day, 2018 we honor our members of the Irish culture. There are a few here. I think I have a bit of the Irish blood in me self too.

A we bit of a chill in the air for this St Patty's Day Parade. But the sun is shining.

Of our members here, there is nobody more Irish than our good friend, Declan B., aka "Irish". Living in the Dublin, Ireland area. He has made those long trips here to visit us and members of the FDNY. In fact one of those trips he surprised ALL of us when he presented a special gift to retired FDNY Chief Hayden.

Declan, "Irish" is well respected by all who know him. He also has many friends throughout other fire depts. here on the east coast.

So to Declan and our other Irish friends on here, "these favorites are for you".

HAPPY ST PATRICK's DAY.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf0E_PJtJWg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEi5_w8Vzs

A little buff/Irish treat-  the very popular NYC area Irish music band- "Shilelagh Law"  www.halfthebottle.com

Two of the band members are active FDNY firemen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIb6OikMb24

scoobyd said:
A little buff/Irish treat-  the very popular NYC area Irish music band- "Shilelagh Law"  www.halfthebottle.com

Two of the band members are active FDNY firemen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIb6OikMb24

THANKS scoobyd, GREAT. Wish I was there.

I guess a Progress Report is due.

Only in this Progress Report we will discuss FOUR Members of this site. I think anybody who visits this site frequently would agree that these individual members such be singled out for their contributions. Here is that list and let's list those names starting with the SENIOR (oldest) MAN FIRST.

1) First we have Mike D, aka "mikeindabronx". Mike has been designated as "OUR MOST VALUABLE PLAYER" for having the most number of post on this site. NOBODY post more than "mikeindabronx". Whether it's his contribution about a fire in the Bronx or across the World. Last November 11th, Mike reached his 20,000th post. Today, a little more than four months later that number is now OVER 21,000 post. Roughly an average of about 250 post per month.

We know that Mike is very respected by the Members of the FDNY and earlier posted here is a plaque he received from the members of Engine 62/Ladder 32 in appreciation for what he has done for them.

Of course Mike also has his own GREAT web site - www.fdnysbravest.com featuring his own personnel photos.

2) Our SECOND (oldest) SENIOR Member who needs to recognized here for his works and contributions to this site is "mack", aka Joe M.

On February 12, 2012 Joe began a tread called "FDNY and NYC Firehouses". It became very popular with the members of this site. The entire history of each company was presented with facts from its very beginning including not only the address for each firehouse address but the entire history including details such as LODDs, photos, citations, videos, newspaper related stories etc. Without a doubt "THE" most information covering each and every NYC Firehouse listed. I can only guess the hours and hours of work involved to do such a project.

But for some reason that thread became locked. It was impossible for any of us to post anything else to it. A thread that today has seen over 833,000 views. More than any others to this day.

Then on December 31, 2017, with much more to cover in the FDNY and NYC Firehouses", but impossible to do, Joe decided to do the next best thing. He started a second thread called: "FDNY and NYC Firehouses - 2nd section", in order to continue with the amount of information he still wished to contribute about these firehouses. The name chosen using the term "2nd section" was perfect for the history of NYC Firehouses. It represented what many of our more senior members remember used during the very busy FDNY War Years of the 1960s/70s.

Today with the "FDNY and NYC Firehouses - 2nd section" being born almost THREE Months to the day, that thread has already reached OVER 12,000 views as members here continue to follow what was originally started back in February, 2012. As of now, if both threads were added together "FDNY and NYC Firehouses" would have a total of OVER 845,000 views.

With that HUGE Number, it shows to "mack", aka Joe M., how much we ALL appreciate the hundreds of hours in research he has put into that effort.

3) The Third Member who should be recognized for the amount of work and effort he puts into this site for us is, a much younger individual, although he clearly demonstrates to all of us his interest in the FDNY and Fire Service in general. A guy that contributes to so many of the working fires or serious incidents within the FDNY. He provides us with size ups and rundowns almost on a 24 hour basis.

That individual I am referring to is this site member "Signal 73", aka Brad Y. I don't know where he finds the time to do it but he sure does his share to contribute to this site.

I believe Brad lives in the New Haven, Ct area and has the respect of many members of the fire departments in that area. Thanks to Brad, aka "Signal 73", for all of his efforts in contributing to this site.

4) I would also like to mention the member known as "THEMAJESTIRIUM1". Giving him Special Thanks for ALL of the videos that he provides to so many of us who can't be there. He travels throughout the city with camera in hand. Sometimes he even post incidents that occur outside of the city.

"THEMAJESTIRIUM1" - I'm sorry I don't know your name but you sure do a GREAT JOB and although I can't speak for everybody here, I'm sure there are many members on this site that feel the same way I do. And by the way, "I'm one of your subscribers on your "youtube channel" as well.

Of course there are so many other members who contribute regularly here as well. THANK YOU TO ALL FOR WHAT YOU DO.

My only wish; "I wish this site was around years earlier".

Can you imagine with today's technology if this site was around during "The War Years"? Constant monitoring of the airwaves, informative posts, great videos, and a whole lot of knowledge. What could have been!!!!

Thank you Bill. I would like to thank all the members who contribute to this site. Not a week goes by that I don't learn some great piece of information about the good old days. This is especially true of Brooklyn & Queens which I hardly ever ventured into.(I didn't keep my passport up to date). I would especially like to thank Chief Jack K. "68JK09" for all the great info he has provided from his 40+ years with the FDNY.

mikeindabronx said:
Thank you Bill. I would like to thank all the members who contribute to this site. Not a week goes by that I don't learn some great piece of information about the good old days. This is especially true of Brooklyn & Queens which I hardly ever ventured into.(I didn't keep my passport up to date). I would especially like to thank Chief Jack K. "68JK09" for all the great info he has provided from his 40+ years with the FDNY.

I totally agree with you as well Mike. Chief Jack K "68jk09" has been there to answer the many questions of members on this site. He has also gotten to become good friends with many of us here. He gives honor to the FDNY War Years Firefighters and those who have passed on from 9/11 sickness. 

Everywhere that anybody ever mentions his name it's always the same. I can tell you that throughout the FDNY his reputation is second to none. That's not always easy to do in ANY fire dept. Let alone the largest fire dept in the United States of America.

Willy D: You certainly picked the top five, including Chief JK.  Off course you might be the "sixth man" although most of your posts involve Mickey D's.  Well done, brother.

johnd248 said:
Willy D: You certainly picked the top five, including Chief JK.  Off course you might be the "sixth man" although most of your posts involve Mickey D's.  Well done, brother.

To the 6 guys mentioned, thank you for all you do for the rest of us. Your stories, photos, histories and memories keep the job alive.

I guess a THANK YOU is due for all the unexpected press given. It's all about putting a few smiles on some faces and you guys did it for me.

nfd2004 said:
We have a few very Special Announcements that have occurred recently.

FIRST - ONCE AGAIN, Congratulations to FDNY Retired Captain John B., aka "jbendick", and his wife Madeline on the birth of their "FIFTEENTH" Grandchild. Yes folks - that is Number 15. A healthy baby girl born on September 9th, named - Emily.

So a Very Special Congratulations to Grandpa and Grandma "jbendick'. How many other Grandpa's and Grandma's do you know with 15 grandchildren.

Of course that also must mean that the administrator of this site, Lt Tommy B, also becomes "UNCLE" Tommy B for about the Thirteenth (13th) time.

But wait, there's more news:

On September 14th, 1968, Grandpa "jbendick" began the FDNY Probie School together with FDNY Probie Jack K., aka "68jk09", now Retired B/C. Then on that same September 14th, back 14 years ago, then FDNY Probie Tommy B, aka "tbendick", began his FDNY career now known as, Lt Tommy B.

There's more to add to the story. But that part of it will be continued another day. So we'll see ya all later - K.

I would like to wish a very Special Friend a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today.

Yes, today April 11th, is Retired FDNY Captain John B's birthday. Now I can't tell you if he is 34 x 2 + 1, or +2, or +3, or -1, or -2. But I sure can tell you this about him.

He is one GREAT GUY. John was the first guy I met on this web site. When I found out where John had worked during his years with the FDNY, I remember telling my wife, who has since passed away: "Do you know where this guy worked" ? I told her, these are some of the busiest companies in NYC.

Not only that, he is a U.S. Army Veteran who served in the Viet Nam War.

As time went on, we continued to be friends and he is now friends with many of us on this site. John loved the firefighters job. When any of us get together, somehow the fire department subject always seems to come up.

Capt B is a great family man. He has dedicated his life to his family. I don't know of ANYBODY else that has such a large family. He has been a good husband to his wife Madeline, being married for many, many years. They raised six children, including Tommy, this site owner and a Lt in the FDNY. They have "15" Grandchildren and "3" Great Grandchildren.

But guess what ? Very soon their FOURTH Great Grandchild will arrive. Yes, that is Number Four (4) folks. I believe before the end of this month.

Happy Birthday John. You are a very special friend to many of us here and we'd like to share this with you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SA-yZzG6fA