News of Members

In this photo we have the two "D" brothers. On the left is Willie D and in the middle is John D (johnd248). It was great listening to John D and Willie D trading barbs. The third gentlemen is retired Norwich firefighter Tom Lafreniere who was one of two firefighters who survived a truck fire and explosion that killed four other firefighters.

fdce54 said:
guitarman314 said:
Signal73 said:

LT Wargo
FF Walsh
My Self
Frank

Nice array of Healthy Snacks set-up on the table.    ;)
Elwood

At NHFD E6 T4 & Temporary E8 & Prime Mover w/ Foam Trailer
Is Frank awake in this photo? :D
Yes he is Tom. I was reviewing the photos on my camera. Willy D doesn't know how to say cheese.

fdce54 said:
In this photo we have the two "D" brothers. On the left is Willie D and in the middle is John D (johnd248). It was great listening to John D and Willie D trading barbs. The third gentlemen is retired Norwich firefighter Tom Lafreniere who was one of two firefighters who survived a truck fire and explosion that killed four other firefighters.

Thanks Frank for all the photos you posted for us.

I would like to add a few thoughts as well.

Retired Norwich Firefighter Tom Lafreniere (above photo on right) will be 90 years old in June. He survived the WORST Firefighter LODDs incident in Connecticut which took the lives of four of the six firefighters who responded to what was reported as a truck on fire. When the chemicals inside of that truck heated up, there was a massive explosion which blew out windows in the high school about a mile away.

It had rained the night before and what kept Tom and the other firefighter, (Tom Demauro - now deceased), alive was that they were in a puddle of water and as they were burning they splashed water on top of themselves. They were also able to get the door of that truck on top of them to cover themselves giving them some protection from the heat of the truck burning. Both those firefighters also lost a large part of their hearing because of the explosion.

As a result of this very tragic event, Placarding came out in an effort to warn firefighters of a possible dangerous cargo being carried.

Tom Lafreniere was also awarded the Bronze Star for his actions during the Korean War. I think he also told us he just celebrated his 64th wedding anniversary.

EVERY Fire Dept that we visited (Bridgeport, New Haven, Norwich, and New London) has suffered LODDS over the past several years. It's a dangerous job no matter where you go. Certainly the FDNY has seen it's share recently.

During our visits to various firehouses, we saw that "The Brotherhood is Alive and Well". Most of the guys had no idea who we were. Just a couple of guys with an interest in the fire service.

This is NOT the first time a group of us have visited various cities and firehouses. Special thanks to "68jk09" who has gone above and beyond to help us. We've also had "jbendick", "mack", "Danr", "tbendick", "atlas", and "truck4", set things up for us as well. And that has all been possible because of a web site called "Nycfire.net".

Finally, I would like to mention one more thing. In reply #736, I had said that we would make a donation to the Firefighter Cancer Fund in appreciation for what these firefighters did for us. Shortly after posting that, I received an email from a member of this site, who wasn't even with us, saying that he would like to contribute as well. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN THERE FOR US.

Thanks for the additional info Willy D. I've never heard of that incident involving FF Tom Lafreniere. Himself and FF Tom Demauro RIP were very lucky indeed. Incredible story to hear how they managed to survive

All the photos look great of what looked like a great trip. John D hasn't aged one bit since i first met him in Flatbush on a cold January day all those years ago. FF Lafreniere also looks in great shape for a man 90yrs young

HAPPY 44th Wedding Anniversary to this site co-administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, aka "jbendick", and his wife Madaline, who celebrated their 44th on Friday April 20th.

And there is more. Within the next few days, OR maybe few hours, they will become GREAT GRANDPARENTS for the first time.

John and Maddy, we wish you all the best for many more happy and healthy years to come. THANK YOU for what you do for ALL of us here.

All best on your anniversary and coming great-grandchild and thank you for this site and all your efforts.  God bless.

Congratulations to site administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick ?jbendick? and his wife Matty on the birth of their first great grandchild, a baby boy on Monday April 23,2018

As most of the members can see in the "General Discussion Section", there was a recent "Lunch Get Together" by a couple of members of this site. Taking part in that "Pepe's Pizza Party" were the following:

Mike D, aka "mikeindabronx"
John B, aka "jbendick"
Frank D, aka "fdce54"
Willy D, aka "NFD2004"

We were also joined by a retired member of the FDNY, whose wife wrote a book titled: "By the Grace of God", about their amazing story of survival on 9/11. His name Dan Potter. He worked in Ladder 38, Ladder 5, Ladder 112, and Ladder 31. I'm sure some of our members recognized him in the photo posted by Frank D. in that General Section thread (Lunch Get Together).

I first met Dan about 20 years ago at the Rock when he was the chaffer of Ladder 5. They had just gotten a new rig and I sure wanted to get a few rig shots of it. Of course I asked him if he could position it for me, and like most guys, as long as it was possible, he did that for me.

Several years pass by and a captain from another dept shows him that picture of Ladder 5 and some how we get in touch. He remembered when that picture was taken. I later find out about the book and somehow I get word of a video on their survival which I will post here.

So we set up a meeting place and throw down three large Pepe Pizzas. A few guys that Dan has mentioned to me from this site are; "69METS", "memory master", and "68jk09". I'm sure there's many more. He has also applied to become a member of this elite site.

But here is that video. Maybe you've seen it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdeWr11n5IY

Thanks for posting this, Bill.  And best to 69METS for a speedy recovery and welcome aboard to Dan.

Everyday, sometimes three or four times a day, I go on this web site to catch up with what's going on within the activity of the FDNY, EMS, FDNY Dispatch, and very often activity and happenings of many other fire departments as well. I tell friends that it's like I need to get my "daily fix" (as in shooting up). The more I go on, the more interesting it gets.

Of course I'm very lucky to have my good health and that I've been able to meet SO MANY GREAT PEOPLE because of it. ALL having the same interest.

I've also had the chance to "tell my story" here of the days of chasing the fires and watching what I consider to be the GREATEST FIRE DEPT IN THE WORLD in "My Younger Buff Years" (History section). That also helped me to get to know so many GREAT GUYS who were a part of that time. I didn't plan it like that -  it just happened. It was such a different time then and things just "had" to change. It couldn't keep going like that. Although at the time, a lot of such activity spread to other cities as well. ("The Other War Years" - history section)

One of the members who I recently met for the first time was "Signal 73", aka Brad Y. Most of us here are quite familiar with the amount of contributions that he gives to this site. He joins the ranks of a special group of others here as well.

I would like to Thank Brad for all of those contributions. Most recently his list of EMS Car Assignments and (FDNY) Car Numbers update. I can relate to the many questions outsiders have when it comes to those car numbers as they listen to the FDNY or FDNY/EMS. A long time ago, I had those same questions. 

When I met Brad for the first time it was recently in New Haven, Ct where a couple of us guys got together from this site. Of course we made the rounds to visit a few firehouses as well. I learned that Brad lives in the New Haven, Ct area and that he has a good reputation within the New Haven area fire depts.

I also learned that Brad is a family man, I believe with three (?) children at home. (maybe he can correct me if wrong). Brad also works as a Dispatcher for an Ambulance Company in Connecticut. I know they are the primary responder to some area cities and towns in the New Haven area.

So whether it's the rundown on a FDNY job, a monthly report of first due companies to all the multiple alarm fires within the city, or a list of the many car numbers we all hear at major incidents - I think we ALL appreciate what you (BRAD) do for us here.

And here is just another thought. We have many new members here who only know each of us by some user name. I'm going to talk it over with a couple of very good friends and see if we can set up just a one day/evening dinner to meet up. We did that several years ago and because of that many of us became very good friends and kept in touch. So maybe on some Saturday night this summer, we can do that. Just a thought.

Thanks again Brad, aka "signal 73". (By the way for those who might not know - within the New Haven FD, the term signal 73 means the same as the FDNYs 10-75).

Oh Willy D. You always say the right thing and know how to give a good pat on the back lol

I appreciate the kind words about my self.

If it wasn?t for you senior guys this site wouldn?t be what it is today, i am just happy to add my part the best way I can. And you my friend are right about ?getting my fix? on this site. While at work I have this site up and am usually listening to the boroughs 24/7. Ask my wife she like when fire goes into the cockloft (not sure why might be the NY accent) lol. And yes i May add i have stopped by ALL FDNY fire houses to snap a rig pic.

I guess you can say I am a family man. I have 2 step kids who i am happy to call mine with 1 on the way June 28 (or sooner) lol.  Little by little i get the 2 steps kids 8&6 into the ?Buff World?. The youngest had his own Facebook page ?FireTrucksForChristian? (We still save that story for another day but the Facebook page should explain it) He made it to his first FDNY fire House visit to E92 TL44 (Thank you Uncle Wes 4Truck). He also made it on the riding list for 4Truck & Rescue 1 at the age of 6 (caught a 10-77 with 4Truck)

It?s always nice to get user names with faces. Brad Young if anyone has Facebook lol

Thank you again for the kind words.  And everyone new & old keep up the good work

manhattan said:
Thanks for posting this, Bill.  And best to 69METS for a speedy recovery and welcome aboard to Dan.

Thank you Manhattan, under the weather for 6 weeks, I think I'm finally well again.

69 METS said:
manhattan said:

Thank you Manhattan, under the weather for 6 weeks, I think I'm finally well again.

Garrett, glad to hear your feeling better

69 METS said:
manhattan said:

Glad to hear it!  And just in time to enjoy the summer!

I?m happy to hear that as well Garrett.

Sorry about the mix up I caused on the Firehouse second section thread when I confused your father  with mack?s Father.

I wish I knew them both during their very busy years with the FDNY. They were certainly the Greatest.

I would also like to add that a few years ago I was in Fla where Garrett, ?69METs? now lives. He invited me as his guest to a retired firefighters monthly dinner gathering. I believe the group is called ?The Suncoast Retired Firefighters org?. It was a great time and there were other retired FDNY members and a few guys from this site that I got to meet.

I didn?t forget it Garrett and I took a few pictures and shared them with a few of the guys here who know and worked with you.