News of Members

nfd2004 said:
I?m happy to hear that as well Garrett.

Sorry about the mix up I caused on the Firehouse second section thread when I confused your father  with mack?s Father.

I wish I knew them both during their very busy years with the FDNY. They were certainly the Greatest.

I would also like to add that a few years ago I was in Fla where Garrett, ?69METs? now lives. He invited me as his guest to a retired firefighters monthly dinner gathering. It was a great time and there were other retired FDNY members and a few guys from this site that I got to meet. I didn?t forget it Garrett and I took a few pictures and shared them with a few of the guys here who know and worked with you.

Bill, I already considered it an honor to know you and call you my friend, BUT ... I just noticed that in addition to being a retired fire captain, you also hold the rank of 'Global Moderator'. I realize that you are far too humble a man to ever mention this to me, but now that I've become aware of this fact, CONGRATULATIONS upon your earning this great honor!!

Just to add a bit here, site member "69 METS", as I understand it, began his FDNY career at Engine 234.

Later he moved to Ladder 33 where he joined another member of this site. His name John B., aka 'jbendick", this sites administrator and at the time assigned to Engine 75 at that busy Jerome Ave firehouse.

Then with the former Engine 41 becoming Squad 41, Garrett joined that company where his commanding officer at the time was another member of this site, then Lt Jack K., aka "68jk09".

Garrett L., aka "69 METS", then moved on to Rescue 3 before retiring from the FDNY. 

https://postimg.cc/image/onn859c7f/  (thanks to photo posted in FDNY and NYC Firehouse 2nd Section thread by mack)

69 METS said:
nfd2004 said:
I?m happy to hear that as well Garrett.

Sorry about the mix up I caused on the Firehouse second section thread when I confused your father  with mack?s Father.

I wish I knew them both during their very busy years with the FDNY. They were certainly the Greatest.

I would also like to add that a few years ago I was in Fla where Garrett, ?69METs? now lives. He invited me as his guest to a retired firefighters monthly dinner gathering. It was a great time and there were other retired FDNY members and a few guys from this site that I got to meet. I didn?t forget it Garrett and I took a few pictures and shared them with a few of the guys here who know and worked with you.

Bill, I already considered it an honor to know you and call you my friend, BUT ... I just noticed that in addition to being a retired fire captain, you also hold the rank of 'Global Moderator'. I realize that you are far too humble a man to ever mention this to me, but now that I've become aware of this fact, CONGRATULATIONS upon your earning this great honor!!

I am unfamiliar with this distinction "Global Moderator"  Are you travelling the world buffing now?    No White Castles out there - but you will probably find a Mickey D's.  Congratulations Willy D.  If you are planning anything in Boston this summer let me know. Maybe we can hook up

They are named Global Moderators in order to handle the post from Dec aka "Irish" and Myself since we are both from a foreign lands, Ireland and Tennessee! They are in charge of making sure we do not cause any incidents!

And here I thought it was because Willy was from a foreign land (Connecticut).  ::)

kfd274 said:
I am unfamiliar with this distinction "Global Moderator"  Are you travelling the world buffing now?    No White Castles out there - but you will probably find a Mickey D's.  Congratulations Willy D.  If you are planning anything in Boston this summer let me know. Maybe we can hook up

Kevin, aka "kfd274", putting the Global Moderator and the World wide buff aside for now, I do know one thing for sure.

I was sure lucky to be with you and a couple of other guys from this site several years ago. As sometimes happens, several years ago, a few of us got together for a little chow over on Roosevelt Ave in Queens. I thought I was doing so great when I found a parking place right in front of the place. But when we all came out, my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign.

I remember you Kevin (kfd274) happened to stop a NYPD car on patrol and they checked and found that it was towed to the pound. Then Kevin, I had no idea where the place was. We had called and they told us they would be locking up shortly and wouldn't be able to get the car after that. You gave me a ride there and we made it there by just a few minutes. I sure do appreciate what you did for me and I didn't forget it. I would have been in some BIG TROUBLE if it wasn't for you.

Thank you my friend and I hope to get up to Beantown sometime this summer. Maybe make a quick stop at that Boston Sparks club too. Some great guys there including Paul B., who is the president of that group and a frequent visitor to here as well.

Just to add, as mentioned earlier here, we got guys not only from Ireland and Tennessee but also from:
  New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Ohio, Illinois, Virginia, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, parts of New York State, even the U.K.

Some may speak a little different but we all speak the same language. 

"my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign."  Thanks, Bill; it's out-of-towners like you who keep the city rollin' in dough!!  Come back any time - it's always great to have your wallet you in town!!

And remember - if there'as an empty parking spot in this city, it's like an empty seat on a crowded subway - - it's empty for a very good reason.

manhattan said:
"my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign."  Thanks, Bill; it's out-of-towners like you who keep the city rollin' in dough!!  Come back any time - it's always great to have your wallet you in town!!

And remember - if there'as an empty parking spot in this city, it's like an empty seat on a crowded subway - - it's empty for a very good reason.

Yes Frank, aka "manhattan", how right you are. And I will always remember about those empty parking spots right in front of the place I want to go. I know that "somebody" made some money on me that night. I think about $280.00 altogether. And if my friend Kevin, aka "KFD274" hadn't gotten me there about 20 minutes before those gates close, it would have cost me a lot more than that. Plus I would have had to find the nearest homeless shelter to settle down for the night.

I will also remember what you say about those empty seats on a crowded subway. But a few times I was riding on a crowed subway and nobody sat next to me. I just don't know why.

nfd2004 said:
kfd274 said:

Kevin, aka "kfd274", putting the Global Moderator and the World wide buff aside for now, I do know one thing for sure.

I was sure lucky to be with you and a couple of other guys from this site several years ago. As sometimes happens, several years ago, a few of us got together for a little chow over on Roosevelt Ave in Queens. I thought I was doing so great when I found a parking place right in front of the place. But when we all came out, my car was gone. It was towed away for being in a No Parking Zone. I never noticed the sign.

I remember you Kevin (kfd274) happened to stop a NYPD car on patrol and they checked and found that it was towed to the pound. Then Kevin, I had no idea where the place was. We had called and they told us they would be locking up shortly and wouldn't be able to get the car after that. You gave me a ride there and we made it there by just a few minutes. I sure do appreciate what you did for me and I didn't forget it. I would have been in some BIG TROUBLE if it wasn't for you.

Thank you my friend and I hope to get up to Beantown sometime this summer. Maybe make a quick stop at that Boston Sparks club too. Some great guys there including Paul B., who is the president of that group and a frequent visitor to here as well.

Just to add, as mentioned earlier here, we got guys not only from Ireland and Tennessee but also from:
  New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Ohio, Illinois, Virginia, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, parts of New York State, even the U.K.

Some may speak a little different but we all speak the same language.

Bill

Let me know about  the Boston trip.  If I am around, I would love to join you

Kev

Let us ALL wish our good friend, Mr Frank D, aka "fdce54" a very Happy Birthday on this June 2nd.

Yes folks, many, many years ago a young guy named Frank D came into the world. Growing up in some of the toughest streets of the South Bronx and battling his way to survival.

In his later years, he continued to carry on his duties in some of those toughest streets. Often working alone as a Con Ed employee going into those tough places facing not only the people, but the meanest ghetto dogs around. He did this without carrying a gun or even a halligan bar or an axe.

One story that Our Birthday Boy, Mr "fdce54", tells is how he was going into one of those buildings in the very dangerous Hunts Point Ave area. At that time the area was known for very high crime activity and dangerous conditions. But as a Con Ed employee, he had no choice but to work those streets and go into those very dangerous buildings.

One time when he came out of a building on Hunts Point Ave after doing his job, he was approached by Three Undercover, Anti Crime Police Officers who had been watching that building. They approached Frank and asked him what he was doing in there (apparently a well known crime spot or drug den etc). He then innocently told those police officers, "I was in there working". "I work for Con Ed" and he pointed to his Con Ed truck parked down the street.

Those police officers were AMAZED. They then said to him, "you went in there by yourself" ? Frank told them "Yes, I did".

Then one of those Anti Crime cops told him:

"When we go in there, there are THREE of us and we carry guns"
  "When the Firemen go in there, there's 12 of them and they carry axes and heavy tools"

Then one of the cops said to him:

"You know what": "The NYPD is the Finest, the FDNY is the Bravest, But those Con Ed workers are the F##### Craziest".

Of course as time went on, Frank D, became a supervisor for Con Ed covering the entire Westchester County. Retiring just a few years ago.

Frank, aka "fdce54", Happy Birthday and many more Happy and Healthy Birthdays to come.