News of Members

Recently, many of us joined together wishing our friend/member "CFDMarshall", aka Rev Elwood E., a Happy Birthday wish. Well, if the "Rev" doesn't mind, I'd like to tell you a little bit about him from what I know. Of course he is from that far away land we call; "Tennessee". Home to the late, very famous singer, some of us remember nicknamed; "the King", Mr Elvis Presley. So I guess that's something to consider. Unlike the place I come from, Connecticut, and the Most famous person we are known for is "Benedict Arnold". In fact, I live in the same city he lived in.

Okay, so that put aside, first question: Is "CFDMarshall" really a Reverend ?

No folks he is NOT. But that nickname came about when myself and our other good friend, "fdce54", aka Frank D., were riding with him just outside of the D.C./Virginia area. We were visiting a couple of other members who invited us down there, "mack", aka Joe M., "raybrag", aka Ray B., and "fltpara16", aka Steve E. I don't remember how it happened or what led up to it, but suddenly "The Rev" broke out with some serious, good 'ole southern preaching. So that is how it all started. Frank and I decided to make him a Reverend. As we see now, it has stuck with him.

Elwood of course can add or change anything that needs to be added or changed here, but as I understand it, Elwood has served as the Chief of Department in his Tennessee town. I believe he is/was also a Fire Marshall and is still an "on call" member of that department. Elwood is certainly into it like most of us here.

I understand that Elwood is the owner/operator of a large Insurance Company down there in his home town area. I've been told that as you travel along the interstate there are billboards with Elwoods picture and the insurance company name on it.

Over the last several years Elwood has made several trips up here to the northeast to visit his friends from this site. He has visited many firehouses within the FDNY. Plus Boston, Massachusetts, Providence, Rhode Island, and Bridgeport, New Haven, New London, and Norwich, Connecticut. Everywhere he goes, those guys enjoy talking to him. On a few times, he was invited to take in a run with the guys.

When he was in Boston, along with a couple of other guys from here, we stopped at the Boston Sparks Club and when the President of that outfit, Paul B., aka "RadioCW98" - here, got to meet Elwood for the first time, it was like they were long lost friends. He said; "Oh you're the Reverend Elwood". He knew of him like so many others from the site.

Elwood also has a son-in-law on a busy fire company in the DeKalb County, Georgia Fire Dept., named Robbie C., who a few of us have also met. Robbie is a great guy and into the job as well. He is the father of Elwood's grandchild.

So I've tried to present to the members here a very brief description about our friend and member Elwood E., "CFDMarshall", aka "The Rev". He's a Great Guy and a lot of fun to be with. With his strong southern accent, we tell everybody he's really from Brooklyn, "don't let him fool you".

Once again, a belated Happy Birthday wish for many Happy and Healthy years to come. Thanks for joining us and your GREAT Friendship.

Willy D, you are way too kind! The story is accurate and if I were to change anything it would weaken the flavor. I will say this, I thoroughly enjoy this site and I look forward to every opportunity to get together with all who share this passion. I do my best to pay it forward to the next generation. I have been consumed with this thing called the Fire Service since 5/3/1977 when I was appointed by my hometown of Lynchburg, TN. As Bill stated, My son in law, Robby is OTJ in Dekalb Fire Rescue in Ga. That has opened up a whole new resource to me. He is on the Captains list, currently #11. One thing Willy and the others may not know is that I have another cousin who is a Captain for Madison Fire Rescue in Madison, Al. Chad Menard is an upcoming member of the fire service who is on the teaching circuit with Firehouse Expo  and runs an online group called First In Firefighter. Keepyour eye out for Chad. 

While just looking over NYCFireWire, I see that site member mac8146 worked his final shift for the FDNY on 6/22/18 and has joined the ranks of retired members. Congratulations Mac, enjoy your retirement and keep cashing those retirement checks.

BEST WISHES "mac8146" for a Happy and Healthy, Well Deserved Retirement.

As I understand it, retiring from the fire department can be a bitter/sweet thing.

It's like you lost your best friend - but won the lottery at the same time.

STAjo, congratulations on the book!  Ordered and looking forward to reading.  As for our Uncle Wilfred D,  may I suggest the role of "Technical Advisor".  McDonalds will have to do the on set catering. 

fltpara16 said:
STAjo, congratulations on the book!  Ordered and looking forward to reading.  As for our Uncle Wilfred D,  may I suggest the role of "Technical Advisor".  McDonalds will have to do the on set catering.

Many Thanks, '16' ! Enjoy.

Thanks for the mention of my retirement, after 35 years it?s time to sit back and enjoy the pension. I will continue to post information and may even have more time to do so, again thanks to all??

As I understand it, Our Administrator of this site, retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, (jbendick), was recently inducted as the First Member of his 19th Army Battalion Combat Engineers group - HALL of FAME. His wife Madeline and John recently traveled to various states as far away as Kentucky and Ohio. One of their stops was at his Army Reunion where John was surprised to be inducted into this "Hall of Fame" and presented with this award as their very first member

Captain John B., was a Combat Engineer during the height of the Viet Nam War. After his military duty he became a member of the FDNY in 1968, being a part of the same FDNY Probie Class as "68jk09", aka Jack K. It was right at the very beginning of the busiest years of fire activity now referred to as "the FDNY War Years".  Captain John B served with the FDNY for 37 years before retiring.

Of course Captain John B., is the father of this sites owner and operator, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, aka "tbendick".

John is also the grandpa to 15 grandchildren (I think) and 1 (?) Great grandchild. I recently received a GREAT Photo of two of those grandchildren ages 3 or 4 (?) all dressed in the FDNY Gear, including gloves, hoods, and handie talkie. Yes, it's already in the blood for the next generation of FDNY members. I'd sure love to post that picture here but unfortunately, my computer technology skills haven't reached that level yet.

Congratulations to U.S. Army Veteran and Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick. We Honor You today, on this July 4th, 2018, celebrating the 242nd Birthday of Our Country. We THANK YOU for your service to our country and the City of New York.

Thanks John and Congratulations. 

mack

Administrator
nfd2004 said:
As I understand it, Our Administrator of this site, retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, (jbendick), was recently inducted as the First Member of his 19th Army Battalion Combat Engineers group - HALL of FAME. His wife Madeline and John recently traveled to various states as far away as Kentucky and Ohio. One of their stops was at his Army Reunion where John was surprised to be inducted into this "Hall of Fame" and presented with this award as their very first member

Captain John B., was a Combat Engineer during the height of the Viet Nam War. After his military duty he became a member of the FDNY in 1968, being a part of the same FDNY Probie Class as "68jk09", aka Jack K. It was right at the very beginning of the busiest years of fire activity now referred to as "the FDNY War Years".  Captain John B served with the FDNY for 37 years before retiring.

Of course Captain John B., is the father of this sites owner and operator, FDNY Lt Tommy Bendick, aka "tbendick".

John is also the grandpa to 15 grandchildren (I think) and 1 (?) Great grandchild. I recently received a GREAT Photo of two of those grandchildren ages 3 or 4 (?) all dressed in the FDNY Gear, including gloves, hoods, and handie talkie. Yes, it's already in the blood for the next generation of FDNY members. I'd sure love to post that picture here but unfortunately, my computer technology skills haven't reached that level yet.

Congratulations to U.S. Army Veteran and Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick. We Honor You today, on this July 4th, 2018, celebrating the 242nd Birthday of Our Country. We THANK YOU for your service to our country and the City of New York.

Thanks John and Congratulations.

Congratulations Captain John Bendick.  A well-deserved honor.  Thank you for your service to our country and to NYC. 

Soldier, firefighter, leader, husband, father, grandfather, friend.

524660_10201110052376542_1480396296_n.jpg    image.jpg      image.jpg      36379793_10212746528921183_360209140359888896_n.jpg

http://www.knox.army.mil/partners/19eng/history.aspx