News of Members

Many Congrats Capt Bendick well deserved

Best wishes

ps great photos Mack

jbendick

Administrator
Thank you Willy for your kind words.
I just need to clarify something.This was not part of my reunion which will be in Sept.  Madeline and I were invited to the present day  19th Engineer Battalion's Ball. It was attended by about 400 people including active soldiers and veterans. I was there with 4 other members of the 19th Vietnam Veterans Assoc. and their spouses. The respect we were given was beyond words.

I had no idea about this award.  It was presented by LT Col. Estee Pinchasin commander of the !9th Engineer Batt (C).. I was the first inductee into their Hall Of Fame.  .
The greatest honor was being told that we will always be considered part of the 19th.

Essayons    Bridles and Reins    Essayons

Thank you to everyone who sent their kind words.

STAjo said:
My Good Friends:
I?ve written, and had to produce a Novel. This project has taken approx. 2 Yrs., working on & off. One of the Main ?Characters? of the story is FDNY. You here, have been a primary and consistent source of information. Today, I?ve been on facebook and amazon most of the day in Production & Marketing of the book, and unfortunately, you who have been most helpful wind-up being last stop of the day. Mostly because I know you are the more patient and understanding of all the people & stuff I?ve had to do.
Before I present my Novel to you, I?d like to Post the Dedication, which, because of Operator Error and Ignorance of Technology,
I was unable add the book itself [!].

I owe so much to so many, I struggle here to be as brief as needed. This Novel is dedicated to many:
The Brave and Dedicated men and women of the FBI, CIA, and all National Security Professionals, and all Members of the U.S. Armed Forces committed in Service, to our safety. To All the Brave and Dedicated Members of the FDNY and FDNY-EMS, NYPD, and all who labor to support their Mission. (A portion of the proceeds from this work will be donated to the FDNY Foundation). God Bless All Who Serve. 

All my many friends at Nycfire.net (Too Many to List.) Admin.: Lt. Tom Bendick FDNY Eng.65,  Capt. J. Bendick FDNY (Ret.) E.23.
  Chief Jack Kleehaas FDNY SOC (Ret.), an invaluable source of FDNY History and Operations. Jack O., Mack, 'Willy', and all the rest... Unbeknownst to them, they have been an unending and priceless source of information about Fire/Emergency Service in general and FDNY in particular. Thank You.

Saving the MVP for last: Lisa Tintori - I wrote a Story; Lisa worked with me providing outstanding direction, editing, inspiration and care, to produce a Novel. To Lisa and Momma Joan, my unending Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/11-Retribution-Jos-R-Walsh-ebook/dp/B07DRXXJV6/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GYWF5GD5GJRMJ18WTPVK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1983209848/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529548656&sr=1-2&keywords=11%2F11+-+Retribution++Jos.+R.+Walsh

Joe, the book arrived the other day and I just started reading it.

The book is easy reading and it's almost as if I was right there.

Your description of events and characters is EXCELLENT.

I think you did a Great Job in writing it.

Congratulations and best wishes for a healthy and enjoyable retirement to Lieutenant MAC

nfd2004 said:
As the year 2016 comes to an end and we welcome in the year 2017, we look back over the many threads, stories, reports, etc on this site. Throughout all of that we once again ask the question:

"Who has been our Most Valuable Player"

Who is it that posted more stories and reports than anyone else on this site ? He kept us informed of the goings on in New York City, the country and at times, the world. That award is once again given to a friend to many of us on this site. A guy that has lived his entire life in the Bronx. And that sure is a long time. His web site; www.fdnysbravest.com , has some of the best FDNY action photos out there of the 1980s in Harlem and the Bronx. 

Maybe you guessed it but once again, it is our own "mikeindabronx". He comes up with roughly 18,000 post since joining this site. Congratulations Mike and Thank you for what you do for all of us here. Those that know Mike personally will also tell you what a great guy he is. Mikes work is greatly appreciated not only by us, but by the members of the FDNY as well. Mike will very often donate his pictures to firehouses to be displayed on their walls of the guys and jobs they were at. GREAT JOB THERE Mike.

Now we look at the thread that has had the most views since it's beginning.

That thread is over one half million views standing at almost 505,000 views. It is an amazing piece of work in which a huge amount of research had to be done for each post listed. I can only be talking about the most popular and visited topic here called; "FDNY and NYC Firehouses", started by member "mack" or as many of us know him, Joe M. For those of us who know him, he grew up in Brooklyn where he was first introduced into the FDNY by his father, a retired FDNY Battalion Chief. Later he graduated from West Point and has since retired as a very high ranking officer in the U.S. Army. His personal story is one of "A GREAT AMERICAN". Thank you very much Joe for your contribution to both here and our country.

Mike and Joe, thank you for what you do. Also a Special Thank you to FDNY Lt Tommy B., owner of this site. Without him, none of this would be possible.

THANKS GUYS.

Every once in awhile, I like to look over this site. Today (7/7/2018) I found some very IMPRESSIVE Facts that I'd like to pass along. These facts point to the TWO Members I had mentioned in the above quote and how they both have played a HUGE part in making this web site what it is today.

I am referring to Mike D., aka "mikeindabronx", and Joe M., aka "mack". Both of these members are well known and are good friends to many members of this site.

Mike D., has been referred to here as "Our Most Valuable Player" because of the number of post he adds daily on so many various topics here (average 6.7/day). From fires in NYC to across the world, and everything else in between. Today Mike has reached about 21,700 post. A lot of time and effort goes into each and every one of those posted. No doubt, he has played a HUGE part in making this web site the success it is today.

We Thank You Mike.

Along with Our Most Valuable Player comes the other important fact of the most popular and most viewed thread throughout this sites existence. When the Most popular thread called; "FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies" came to an end on December 31, 2017, this site member Joe M., aka "mack", felt there was much more to tell.

So in a follow up to that original Firehouse/Fire Companies thread, Joe began another thread based on that same topic. He called it: "FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section". With the beginning of that thread on New Years Day, 2018, that very popular thread has now reached about 26,700 views.

The former Firehouse/Fire Companies thread still remains popular as well, currently with about 911,000 views.

Any of us following each new post may not understand the huge effort that must go into the research, the posting of photos, awards, apparatus, the members, the videos, etc for each firehouse/company listed.

Today, if we were to combine both Firehouse/Fire Company threads, the total number of views would be about 937,000 views. Making it certainly the most viewed and followed thread on this site. Just shy of ONE MILLION VIEWS.

I think if you were to ask the guys on this site who know these TWO individuals, what they think about these guys, my guess is that you might get a response like this. "They are GREAT GUYS and we'd all be a lot better off if there were more like them".

Thanks Guys for all you have done for us.

^^^^^^    To add to Willys post above... i would also say that aside from Mikes work on here his excellent FDNY pictorial book is a great chronicle of some of the best years of this Job.... & mack's continuing posts of long ago (some nearly forgotten ) info & photos is priceless....Thank You to both.....& for those that have never had the pleasure of sitting down with them ....they both have a wealth of FDNY history to share.

If Joe's knee surgery was anything like mine (I hope it was), the next transmission was "all units not 10-84 can go 10-8.  Handled it with the can, under control at this time".  They cut out most of the meniscus in my right knee, and I walked out of the hospital four hours later (after the meds wore off).  Biggest issue was healing the two little holes they put in my knee.  Of course, if Joe's was a knee replacement, that's a whole nother ball game. Best wishes to him for a fast, uncomplicated recovery.