News of Members

jbendick

Administrator
  Sorry for your loss Tom. I can not thing worst then  lossing a child. May her soul rest in peace, our prays are with you and your family.

Sergio Nieto
  President
  Fire Bell Club of New York

Dear Members,
  Concerning funeral arrangements for Tom Eve's daughter, Natalie, the family had a small, private service.
  Thank you for reaching out and for all your prayers

(Note - Thank you to member JOR176 for passing this onto us).

mack

Administrator
Congratulations to Captain J - 50 years ago - John took the FDNY firefighter test while still in the US Army after combat service in Vietnam. He was appointed and had a very successful career as a firefighter and fire officer in very, very busy companies during very, very, very busy fire activity times in NYC.

John is a role model for all of us - soldier, firefighter, leader, husband, father, grandfather.

Living the dream!

My congratulations goes out to Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick as well. John is a good friend to many of us who know him. Of course he is also this sites Administrator.

As I know it, during his career, Capt Bendick began as a firefighter with Engine 96. He then went on to the very busy Squad 2 during some of the busiest years for the FDNY. Squad 2 in those days was quartered with Engine 73/Ladder 42. Squad 2 would rotate nights in Engine 73, Engine 82, Engine 85 - as most of us know some of the busiest fire companies during those very busy years.

After Squad 2 was closed down and eliminated during the FDNY budget crisis which included the lay offs of 300 (?) FDNY members. He was then assigned to Engine 75. At first things were fairly quite. Then almost over night all hell broke out and Engine 75 was at the top of the list for runs and workers as the West Bronx was burning up.

Being promoted then Lt Bendick was assigned as the boss of Engine 68. The fires continued and now into the 1980s/90s most of the Bronx fire activity was involving FDNY companies west of Webster Ave up to about Fordham Rd.

Captain Bendick was the first FDNY member from this site that I got to meet. He invited my wife and I to join him at a restaurant near his home. We have hit it off great since then.

I may have this wrong but as of last count, I think he has 15 Grandchildren and 1 Great Grandchild.

On a side note, I believe that Both Capt Bendick and this sites Retired FDNY B/C Jack K., aka "68jk09", BOTH attended the same Probie School together.

So yes, we are talking "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" here. Both also Viet Nam War Veterans as well. 

Thank you "mack" for posting that as well.

Congratulations on Your Anniversary, Capt. John B. (Ret.)  !

And All of our Many Thanks, for Your Years of Dedicated Service in FDNY; U.S. Army Combat Vet (Viet Nam);
and of course, all the Great Stuff You and Your Son, Tom, provide for us here. Thank You, God Bless, jw.  8)

Congratulations, Captain.  God Bless and many more years of happy, healthy and continued service to mankind.

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary John. And on this reverend day, thank you for your service both military and FDNY.

Saturday September 15th was site member Signal73's birthday. Brad keeps us updated with the run downs for the incidents posted on the site. Belated Happy Birthday Brad. Keep up the good work.

Thank you Frank...the Big 28 going on 68 haha. Another year older another year with out good looks  ;D

Happy Birthday Brad, "signal 73". A little late of course and I apologize for that.

As, my associate, Mr Frank D, aka "fdce54" says: "you certainly do your share in providing us with all those updates and rundowns". I won't be able to dispute that at all with Frankie D.

Thanks Brad and Happy Belated Birthday too.