News of Members

68jk09 said:
^^^^^^    http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2018/103_sup_74_2018.pdf

Thanks Chief for providing us with this information. Earlier I had tried to find the date of that incident but it wasn't listed here. The link you provided us with gave that information.

ALSO - In other "News of Members", without a doubt, "Hat's Off" to this sites member Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx".

Not only is he our Most Valuable Player, with his OVER 20,000 post submitted, but also for providing us with one of the Most Impressive Photo Collection of the FDNY during the busy 1980s. Each and every photo, including his latest page added (Page 27), showing a very busy historic time for fire activity in the Bronx and Harlem.

His web site, www.fdnysbravest.com provides an entire history of those busy days. Mike also held a fulltime job at that time, but he always found time to take photos of perhaps the busiest fire department in the world.

I think Mike has told me that after taking these hundreds of photos, he would develop them himself. Then he would also share some of those photos to the members involved in the pictures and their firehouse. As I understand it, his wife Marie adds these photos and new pages to his web site.

A recent visit to Rescue 3's quarters, I saw many of those pictures taken by Mike along the wall inside that firehouse.

Let me add that not only is Mike Our Most Valuable Player and also been a good friend to the members of the FDNY, but he is also a good friend to many of the members on this site who know him.

Thanks Mike (and Marie) for the EXCELLENT Work you do for us.

Congratulations to Lt Jay Walsh, aka "hosewagon", on his retirement from the FDNY. Jay had worked as a firefighter in Engine 75 and as Lt in Engine 59.

I met Jay through his father, Retired Hartford Fire Capt John Walsh, later to become the Chief of the Willimantic FD. A small department in Eastern, Ct of about 30 full time members.

Like so many, Jay comes from a Fire Dept family. As mentioned, his father now 82 years old, still loves talking about the job.

Jay also has a brother Paul, who is a Deputy Chief in the New Britain, Ct Fire Dept. Paul is known for his EXCELLENT FDNY and fire dept paintings.

Jay's nephew Matt, is also a young firefighter in New Haven, Ct where he works one of their busiest companies - Squad 2.

Best wishes Jay for a well deserved, happy, and healthy retirement.

Willy D

Many Congrats to Lt Tommy B and Crew on recent awards. Well deserved and best wishes to Lt Jay Walsh, aka "hosewagon" on retirement. Best wishes on the years ahead

WILLY ?    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DENNIS-VOL-FIRE-CO-STATION-18/292832373740?hash=item442e2b6bec:g:7CcAAOSw1Ihb-gy2

68jk09 said:

Chief "68jk09" I hope to make that patch a part of the Ole' Homestead Collection.

For our members who may not understand what that patch is all about, my last name is "Dennis", as in those who might remember the "Dennis the Mence" show. But for many years I went by the nickname of "Willy" or "Willy D".

In fact there was a song written that I hope you might enjoy. It was sent to me and they tell me; "Willy this is you in your younger days". Anyway the words are posted in it so just feel free to join in. Hope you like it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=70UBvQvPGEU

Last edited:
For the members who may NOT have seen the videos posted by "THEMAJESTIRIUM1" regarding the Queens 5th Alarm at Box 7289 on 12/13/18, please check out his video as he captured a backdraft explosion.

That video can be seen in reply # 6.

THANK YOU "THEMAJESTIRIUM1". PLEASE, Just be careful out there okay.

Recently, site member Joe M., aka "mack", took a break from his fulltime job and the huge amount of work he is involved in with posting those "FDNY & NYC Firehouse and Fire Companies - 2nd section" stories.

He (mack) decided to spend a little time riding with Steve E., aka "fltpara16", who is a Battalion Chief in a county fire department in Virginia.

From what I understand it was a pretty busy tour. Certainly within the first few hours as I was told.

B/C Steve E., reports that ever since this sites administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John B., aka "jbendick", went down to visit him a few weeks ago, the activity has certainly picked up.

I believe site members Elwood E., aka "CFDMarshall", and Declan B., aka "Irish", have also taken up the opportunity to ride with B/C Steve E., as well.

BUT WAIT - there is more.

Word is that Steve E's (fltpara16) son is also a member of that department and recently caught his first good job too.
Could the younger firefighter member become the second generation "Baby B/C fltpara16" ? We know that kind of thing happens quite often.
I guess time will tell but it seems the younger "fltpara16" is already on his way to following in his daddy's footsteps. 

Baby BC (as he was named in his Fire Academy class) will be riding tomorrow with me.  We will see if he experiences the continued Bendick/Materia effect and we stay busy into the New Year.  It seems that he has been bit by the bug that drew us all into the Fire Department, and made so many friendships on this site.  He is fourth generation, so I guess it is in his blood!

Young fltpara16 (aka Baby BC) rode yesterday and we caught another working SFD fire.  The Bendick effect continues!

mack

Administrator
Albermable County Fire Department - what a terrific fire department. Busy, professional, well-trained, good equipment, modern firehouses - great personnel.

Chief E is a busy chief - covering the entire county during his shift - as BC and ALS Supervisor. Many runs during a shift - fires, extrications, accidents, shootings, odors of smoke/gas, ALS emergencies.

Glad Baby BC can help out when available.

Signal73 said:

LT Wargo ?New Haven Fire Lt - Eng 11?
FF Walsh ?Firefighter Squad 2?
My Self ?signal73?
Frank ?fdce54?
Elwood ?CFDMarshall?

At NHFD E6 T4 & Temporary E8 & Prime Mover w/ Foam Trailer

As quoted above, last spring a few of the guys from this site got together to visit a couple of fire depts in Connecticut.

There it was the first time for myself, fdce54, aka Frank D, and CFDMarshall, aka Elwood E., to meet ?signal73?, Brad Y.

As most of us know, Brad is a frequent contributor to this site. Particularly in providing us many of the rundowns.

He has also been a huge help to me in dealing with any online radio feeds to present to Tommy B.

And when I need his expertise in posting a photo for me due to my own lack of computer skills and know how, he?s been there for me.

This guy is a family man and works a full time job to provide for them. Honestly I don?t know when the guy gets a chance to sleep.

Anyway Thanks Brad for all you do for me and for all you do for the other members here as well in posting all those rundowns and keeping tabs on the online radio system.

Willy D

No need for a thank you. Just doing my best to help make this site great

Not much sleep when you have a 7 month old at home

Never forget her waking me up when they dropped a 2nd Alarm in Queens lol. It?s like she knew

Here's a little personnel story that I have told to a few guys from this site earlier. But I thought I'd share it with some of you here as well. Because many of you might be able to relate to it.

Recently I had a follow up visit with a new "pretty" lady doctor regarding a little increase in my blood pressure. Really no big deal, but just something that she wanted to follow up on.

So I go for my follow up visit and I'm dressed pretty sharp, just because.......

Anyway, she takes the blood pressure reading and it's a little higher than it should be. I've only been going to her for the past couple months but what I didn't want to tell her is that "I think she's the one causing my blood pressure problem". Whenever I see her, my B/P just seems to go up.

But with a little help from my neighborhood drug store, she says it should take care of that.

BUT - Guess What ? I found out that she grew up in Astoria Queens, she did 6 years hospital time at Wycoff Hospital in Bushwick Brooklyn, and she used to hang out in Bayside Queens around Bell Blvd.

When she heard me rattle off some of those streets that we both hung out on, she was sure impressed. I'm rattling off about neighborhoods and streets that are over 100 miles away. She says to me "nobody around here knows those streets like that". So we hit it off GREAT.

I guess she likes me so much that she told me to come back and see her in 3 months. I told her, "I'm looking forward to it".