News of Members

Thank you, Willy.  But it won't work.  All that a video of a blackout cake will get you is a video of my son, whenever I can find the "Record" button on my phone and he's around. Now if our family still had the restaurant that my great-grandfather owned, I'd treat you to a dinner.  But since it's gone, I guess you're out of luck.  It was at 13 Broadway, right across the street where the Wall St. bull statue sits now.

If you notice the hand written date on the first page, all you have to do is go back 120 years in time to get that dinner.

nfd2004 said:
I first met Dan about 20 years ago at the Rock when he was the chaffer of Ladder 5. They had just gotten a new rig and I sure wanted to get a few rig shots of it. Of course I asked him if he could position it for me, and like most guys, as long as it was possible, he did that for me.

Several years pass by and a captain from another dept shows him that picture of Ladder 5 and some how we get in touch. He remembered when that picture was taken. I later find out about the book and somehow I get word of a video on their survival which I will post here.

So we set up a meeting place and throw down three large Pepe Pizzas. A few guys that Dan has mentioned to me from this site are; "69METS", "memory master", and "68jk09". I'm sure there's many more. He has also applied to become a member of this elite site.

In the History section of "My Younger Buff Years" beginning on page 116, reply # 1730, we read a story written by Dan P, aka "JohnnyGage", in his First Post on this site.

But there's more to tell. If I remember correctly, there is another member of this site that played a key role in this story of Dan, myself, and that picture we talked about that was taken a long time ago of Ladder 5. Where Dan, aka "JohnnyGage", was the chaffer at the time.

The additional perpetrator (site member) involved was Jammie M, aka "R1Smokeeater", on this site. Jammie had posted a bunch of fire apparatus photos for me on "Flickr". I had sent him a disc and Jammie did all the work. "R1Smokeeater", as he is know here has posted many videos and audios of the FDNY.

Dan had seen that photo after a friend of his, a captain on the Eastchester FD, had pointed it out to him. Dan had told him that he remembered when that picture was taken. I also knew that captain. So that's how it all got tied together.

Here is that photo that started it all, taken maybe 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday to the one and only Tom "Guitarman314" Eve

The ?G-Man Theory? is an excellent example of ?good ole? common sense and intuition expressing observations made over a long time into a theory that is actually based on very sound statistical calculations.

Every unit has a historical unavailability factor based on the percentage of hours that it is committed to responses, training, maintenance, etc.  The addition of EMS responses or the elimination of units contributes to unavailability.  The more responses a unit makes, the greater number of responses it will potentially miss.

The ?G-Man Theory? accumulates these unit percentages across all of the units on a first alarm assignment.  For simplicity, if every unit had a 1-in-10 unavailability, the probability that any one unit on the first alarm assignment, without indicating which one in particular, will be unavailable, is cumulative.  If the first due assignment is four units, the probability that one of them is unavailable would be 4-in-10.  Small odds ? less than half of the time.  However, when there are 8 units on the first due assignment, the odds are better 8-in-10.  Throw in the BC?s, the Squad and the Rescue and the odds are least 10-in-10 and you get the statistical certainty.  ?G-Man Theory? works!

The corollary also works because it applies to ?big jobs.?  A 10-75 loads up the 1st alarm assignment and that loads up the probability for the ?G-Man Theory.?  But does it only work for 10-75?s?  Actually, it works all of the time overall (time of day is also a factor, but that is another layer of complexity).  However, when a first alarm assignment does not result in a 10-75, it doesn?t get nearly as much attention or discussion because there are fewer adverse consequences.

The "G-Man Theory" is really the "G-Man Effect."  Budget and policy makers should be more aware of it.

Happy Birthday Tom. We appreciate your stories and fire apparatus knowledge on this site.

Those of us who have seen for ourselves your very special talent in building model fire trucks are truly amazed with your talent.

You have offered many of us your other talent as a guitar player for many of the Doo Wop groups who have entertained us.

You have worked as a postal employee for many years in the Bronx and later became a supervisor in a Yonkers Post Office.

You are respected as a member here as well as the Special Group of the Fire Bell Club of NYC.

I think we all feel that it is truly an honor to know you and call you a friend.

Happy Birthday Tom, aka "guitarman314", and many more happy and healthy ones to come.

Tom have a Happy & Healthy Birthday .....Best Wishes for many more....hope you can get together with us again in the future.

In the regard of the G-man theory, this was addressed many times over the decades. I would point out SOPs like second source, DRB,Fall-back Steps,second sections,TCU's, and was the prime reason electromechanical street boxes are largely history. It's all about reducing "noise" and improving availability.

Belated Happy Birthday Tom and many more.The next time I come up to my Daughters House I'll get in touch.

Members and Friends, the well kept secret may be out.

One of our members recently contacted me and told me that he is about to break the news on this site. So I just thought it'd be better if you hear it directly from me first.

Could this be Willy D back in his younger days ? Could this be the secret reason why he might have been selected to be one of the moderators of this site ?

Well friends, we ask you to decide for yourself. I have made a pledge to neither deny nor confirm this accusation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2pE-lavac

nfd2004 said:
Members and Friends, the well kept secret may be out.

One of our members recently contacted me and told me that he is about to break the news on this site. So I just thought it'd be better if you hear it directly from me first.

Could this be Willy D back in his younger days ? Could this be the secret reason why he might have been selected to be one of the moderators of this site ?

Well friends, we ask you to decide for yourself. I have made a pledge to neither deny nor confirm this accusation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2pE-lavac

Ahem, Mr. Big Boss Man, you may want to sew the American flag on your quasi uniform on the proper shirt sleeve...

Happy Belated Birthday, Tom, and many more in great health, happiness and joy.  Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us.