News of Members

johnd248 said:
Coincidence or not??  At 1AM on 9/7, Bridgeport (CT) operated at a working fire on Main Street where heavy fire was through the roof of a McDonalds.  Since Willy D is from Bridgeport, and has a definite fondness for Big Macs, I would imagine the Bridgeport Fire Marshals will be contacting Uncle Wilfred to see if he has an alibi for that time frame.  The fire went to an exterior attack and that it is not good for the Big Macs and fries.
John, our Uncle Wilfred would never, ever do any harm to any McDonalds anywhere on this planet. He worships Mickey D's. I can vouch for him when it comes to McDonalds. He is innocent of any allegations. As to his where about's, he called me last night at about 8pm. He was already nestled into his flannel footie pajamas and the electric blanket was already on the bed in preparation for a cool late summer's night. And besides, 1am is well past his bedtime. I rest my case.

fdce54 said:
johnd248 said:
Coincidence or not??  At 1AM on 9/7, Bridgeport (CT) operated at a working fire on Main Street where heavy fire was through the roof of a McDonalds.  Since Willy D is from Bridgeport, and has a definite fondness for Big Macs, I would imagine the Bridgeport Fire Marshals will be contacting Uncle Wilfred to see if he has an alibi for that time frame.  The fire went to an exterior attack and that it is not good for the Big Macs and fries.
John, our Uncle Wilfred would never, ever do any harm to any McDonalds anywhere on this planet. He worships Mickey D's. I can vouch for him when it comes to McDonalds. He is innocent of any allegations. As to his where about's, he called he last night at about 8pm. He was already nestled into his flannel footie pajamas and the electric blanket was already on the bed in preparation for a cool late summer's night. And besides, 1am is well past his bedtime. I rest my case.

Thank you to my Good Friend, Frankie D., aka "fdce54". Yes, everything that Frankie states is a TRUE fact.

Frank, I got to tell you, "Maybe if you had listened to your parents or maybe those Catholic School Nuns and studied harder to become a "lawyer" like those nuns wanted you to, you would have been a good one and probably brought yourself out of that Bronx Ghetto area sooner than you did.

But NO, instead you ended up stocking some shelves at an A & P store somewhere down around Elton Ave and 155th St. Then you get some Con Ed job climbing into some of those "rat holes" over on Hunts Point Ave, where even a car load of some Anti Crime Cops what to know what your doing in one of those places.

Well Frank, it's too late now. But regardless I appreciate your better qualities, while fully understanding the abilities you are lacking.

Then I look at my so called buddy "Johnny D", aka "johnd248". A guy who I've known from way back in our younger teenage years. Well maybe NOT his - but mine anyway. I see a highly successful Opera Singer and First Place Prize DANCING Winner (see; earlier post here). People applaud him as they yell "Bravo". A guy who grew up in the tough Flatbush streets of Brooklyn. Yet he made it.

I guess that's what makes life so interesting. It takes all kinds. And I bet unlike me, there's probably guys that would take Burger Kings Big Whopper over McDonalds Big Mac any day. Who knows, even one of my good buddies, Frankie D or Johnny D., would be happier putting down those Big Whopper Burgers rather than the Micky D's Big Mac. 

Nycfire.net member "69METS", aka Garrett Lundgren, - Retired FDNY tells of his memories searching ground zero on Fox 13 News.

Garrett, now living in Florida served on the FDNY at E234/L123 (?), Ladder 33, Squad 41, and Rescue 3. He speaks very highly of a couple of other Retired FDNY members here on this site as well. Those members being Retired Capt John Bendick (jbendick) who he worked with at E75/L33. Also retired B/C Jack Kleehaas (68jk09) at Squad 41.

Here is Garrett as he tells his story on Fox News, the day of the 18th Anniversary of 9/11.

Last edited:
68jk09 said:
Whose could this be ?.........  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Feasterville-Bucks-County-Pennsylvania-Fire-Company-Fireman-License-Plate-Topper/143181879292?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3Dfc5d284be6814188b24894c8cce0110a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D323913503393%26itm%3D143181879292%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Chief, could it be the guy who has been referred to as ?The Voice of Brooklyn? ?

Signal73 said:
Willy D asked me to post these photos

Story to follow....

Thank's very much Brad. I sure appreciate that. "Brad Young, aka signal 73, has NEVER let me down when I ask him to post any pictures for me". He is also a great contributor to this site, particularly when it comes to giving us rundowns on the FDNY jobs.

Now let me discuss the two photos above in our News of Members series.

In the TOP Photo;
This week I was invited by these two guys to join them in Providence. The guy on the left is Joe Sullivan, aka "Maxim" as he is known on this site. Joe is a retired firefighter from Louden County, Virginia after serving the department for 23 years.
On his left is Chris Oliphant, currently a firefighter in Washington, D.C. with 20 years on the job.
Other than the FDNY, Providence was a "favorite" buff city of mine and Joe "Maxim" grew up in Providence. Living there until he got on the job in Louden County. Joe said to me, "we probably saw each other in the streets back then at the jobs". No doubt, he was right. I started chasing fires in Providence back in 1975.

When I met these guys, "it was like we had known each other for years'. It was a GREAT Day. Thanks guys for inviting me.

Both Joe and Chris are heavily involved in the "International Fire Buffs Association" and asked me to pass the word onto the guys of this site. The IFBA members meet up once a year at a selected city. I think they told me their next visit is to Nashville, Tenn in April. One of the favorite things about these visits is that guys all with the same interest get together not only to visit a city fire dept but to talk about the topic that they all have a special interest in - The Fire Service.

To join the IFBA organization the yearly fee is only $10.00/year, and ALL are welcomed. Joe is the Vice President of IFBA Region 3. If interested, contact Joe, aka "Maxim", his email address is:

ifbaregion3vp@gmail.com 

The Photo below is of a few of our well known members of this site.

Recently members John Bendick and Elwood Ervin met up. John was traveling around throughout the country and stopped off in Tenn to see Elwood.

On the left is this sites administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, aka "jbendick", and on the right is our good friend Elwood Erwin, aka "CFDMarshall". Frequently referred to on here as "The Reverend", although he is NOT associated with any Ministry Service. That came about a few years ago while he was riding with myself and member Frank Donahue, "fdce54". The Rev, just began preaching to us the holy word, with his southern Tenn accent. It was Great, so that's how he got that title as "The Reverend".

So what might they be talking about ? Well, based on what I know of the two of them, most likely having what is sometimes referred to as; "A Fire Dept Rap-A-Thon", which usually happens when guys like this or many others of similar interest meet up.

I am VERY HAPPY to call ALL these guys "my good friends". That includes my good friend Brad Young who has NEVER LET ME DOWN when posting any pictures on here for me. 

Willie alibi

He was seen dining with these two shady characters at an outdoor cafe on Federal Hill.

IFBA Convention for 2020 will be in Nashville from August 25th to the 29th at the Inn at Opryland.  Events include a visit to the Jack Daniels Distillery to see there unique fire department.

Go to ifba.org for more details.  You all are getting a sneak preview since it will be a week or so before details are released.

Contact me at joe.sullivan@ifba.org for "additional information"

I hope to get up there and meet with the great folks of this site sometime in the near future.

Today is site member Signal73's birthday. He's all of 29 today. Can you remember when you were that young Uncle Wilfred or were you ever that young? Brad is probably the main poster of job run downs here. Keep up the good work Brad and have yourself a great birthday.

fdce54 said:
Today is site member Signal73's birthday. He's all of 29 today. Can you remember when you were that young Uncle Wilfred or were you ever that young? Brad is probably the main poster of job run downs here. Keep up the good work Brad and have yourself a great birthday.

Mr "fdce54", I still am 29 years old as far as I'm concerned.

But I DO want to say THANK YOU for One Thing. Today you, my buddy Mr "fdce54", mentioned that it is Brad Young's, aka "signal 73" birthday. Also as you mention a frequent contributor to this web site. Actually he is "One of Our Most Valuable Players". Closely following in the footsteps of his much older Role Model known as "mikeindabronx". Yes Mike, maybe you didn't realize it but you are a Role Model on this site. I try to keep up with you but that's just about impossible to do.

BUT lets get back on topic here. Of course as Most of You Know, Brad has NEVER let me down when it comes to posting a picture here for me.

Best wishes Brad, father of TWO, for a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many, many more to come. Remember this Brad, as they say at FDNY Ladder 40. "LIFE BEGINS AT 40". So you still got a few years to get there.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Brad.

Happy Birthday, Brad!  And many more. I'm sure Willy would agree, we want you to be like us, working on 29 for the 3rd time.  8) ::) 8)

Thank You guys.  But Willy D you shorted me a child lol 9,8 & just over a year lol

Got to spend today with family and got to post 3 jobs but they weren?t my best work lol

Thank you again anyone. 29 going on 39 lol

Best Wishes For A Happy & Healthy Birthday & For Many, Many More..........also Thanks for your work here.