News of Members

Brad, aka "signal 73", I think that it is safe to say that you have "earned" yourself a very respected and appreciated reputation on this web site.

We, the members here, have followed your story about your young son that had cancer. Today of course he is doing well and there is a good possibility that he will become the next generation of fire buffs/firefighters. (I think we can also include the youngest generation of the Bendick family as well).

You, are raising a family of THREE. I can only imagine these days how tough of a job that can be.

Of course you have never let us down when it comes to posting the many jobs of the FDNY here for those of us who couldn't be there or hear it as it happens. Sometimes I wonder if you ever sleep.

And what would "I" do without you when it comes to posting a photo on here for me. Thank you for helping this "computer handicapped old man", nicknamed Willy D.

Brad, we all are very lucky to have young guys like you on here. There are others here too, that I, and I'm sure others, greatly appreciate.

I would ALSO just like to add, that I talked to our friend Joe M., aka "mack" on the phone recently. As he usually is, "he's involved in so many projects, Maybe that's why we haven't seen him here lately.

Those of us who know Joe personally, have the highest respect for him. He currently works at the U.S. Pentagon after a very impressive military career. These days as a "senior citizen", I'm trying to encourage him to retire and DO NOTHING like so many of us on here do. Well, not actually NOTHING. We do go on here almost daily or throw on that TV tube and watch Laurel and Hardy reruns.

I agree with all you said, Willy.  Just one exception for me . . . I have all of Laurel & Hardy memorized.  I've moved on to Larry, Moe & Curly (or is it Manny, Moe & Jack???).

I would like to wish member "811", a retired dispatcher 1973-2001, a very HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY.

On June 14th, (Flag Day) it was his "86th" Birthday. WOW, that is GREAT and we wish him many more to come.

I think it's safe to say that "811" is probably OUR SENIOR MAN ON HERE.

I hope to get more info about "Senior Man 811", who I only know as A.T., so that I can pass it onto the membership.

Willy, you misread earlier notes.  auxlteng225 who we referred to was 86 some years ago, and his last posting in 2017 said he was 88 then.  He has probably left us. I am not quite in that category.

Today, October 1, 2019, site member "Bxboro", (Scott Lindy) retired from the Poquonnock Bridge Fire Department in Groton, Ct., after serving there for 25 years. His brother Mike, recently retired from the FDNY as well.

Many years ago, both Scott and Mike, before they got on the job, joined me in My Younger Buffing Years, making several trips to watch the FDNY do what they have always done best - "Fight Fires". Of course like so many, once that happened, "they were hooked". Their lives would be changed forever. 

Another interesting fact, today 10/1/19 another member of that department retired as well. I believe his name is Mark Murphy. Both Murph and Scott began their careers with the PBFD together, worked together, and this morning, BOTH RETIRED TOGETHER.

But Scott still plans to stretch hose on those cold winter days. He will continue to deliver oil to homes, as he has done on a part time basis, over the past several years.

Best wishes to all, Scott, Murph, and Scotts brother, Mike.

Thanks, Willy D.  Although I do not know Murph, I know Scott and Mike are among the best.  I frequently see Scott and his oil truck in my town of Stonington, CT.  Best of luck to all three.

Signal73 said:
Willy D asked me to post this

THANK YOU BRAD for posting that picture for me. I wanted to pass this historic moment on to our members.

In the above photo, site member and Retired FDNY Firefighter Dan Potter, aka "JohnnyGage", presents the helmet front shield of the late Captain Tough Timmy Gallagher to Lt Tim Klett of Engine 88 at the firehouse recently.

In the very beginning of the popular "Glory Days" stories (History section), Dan had talked about Captain Gallegher and why he was called "Tough Timmy". That helmet front piece will now hang on the wall and be a part of that firehouse history.

Of course most of us never knew Captain Gallagher. But in reading the stories that Dan wrote about him, many of us have a very good sense of the kind of guy he was.

Thanks Dan, for introducing all of us to your first captain in your written stories about him. A Fire Captain that will not be forgotten.

Dan, that is A GREAT TRIBUTE to a Tough Captain, who was also a GREAT FIREFIGHTER.

Also in the photo to the far left is FDNYs Retired Battalion Chief Ed Kearon. Chief Kearon was also a firefighter at the time under Captain Gallagher's command. Thank you Chief for being a part of this historic event as well.

The late Captain Tough Timmy Gallagher passed away on November 12, 2015.

Chief Kearon also mentioned that he was a covering B/C in the 18th battalion during annual firehouse inspections. When he went in there to inspect the place he didn't find anything that needed to be addressed or was out of place. To this day, the members of Engine 88 and Ladder 38 take great pride in their firehouse and the apparatus. 

fdce54 said:
Some more photos.....

Thanks Frank, "fdce54" for posting those photos as well. Yes Brad, the Rev, "CFDMarshall", Elwood Ervin, did come up to visit from Tennessee.

So let me tell everybody who these guys are, if you don't know them.

Starting from left to right:

FDNY Lt Tim Klett, Engine Co 88
Elwood Ervin, aka "CFDMarshall" known as "The Rev" from Tenn., a Retired Fire Marshall
Joe Materia, "mack" from Virginia. Joe's father was a B/C on the FDNY and he now has a son on Boston's Ladder Co 15. I believe there is a story about him earlier on in this "News of Members" series.
Steve Elliott, aka "fltpara16", who is a Battalion Chief in the Albemarle County Fire Dept in Virginia. His son hopes to follow in his fathers footsteps too.
Robbie Cox, recently promoted to Fire Captain in the DeKalb County Georgia Fire Dept. Also Elwood's "The Rev's" son-in-law.

Also among the group that I'll try to come up with a photo of was Declean Byrne, aka "Irish", who joins in every year and comes all the way over from Ireland.
The other member of this site (who took these pictures) is Frank Donahue, aka "fdce54", who grew up in the Bronx, then worked many years with Con Edison in the Bronx, then got promoted to boss where he covered all of Westchester County.

Besides spending some time at the quarters of Eng 88/Lad 38, the guys stopped at the Port Authority Firehouse at LaGuardia Airport where they were treated GREAT by the members on duty. As it turned out, the Captain on duty was retired FDNY member Dave Russell. I knew his father, then Captain Dave Russell way back in the early 70s when I was a volunteer firefighter in Fairfield, Ct. Later Fairfield Captain Russell became Chief of Department and was very respected there by the members. The late Chief Russell also did a lot for the firefighters in Connecticut and will never be forgotten for the many accomplishments he did during his time.

The guys also visited the quarters of Eng 48/Lad 56/Div 7, and were invited to sit down and talk with Deputy Chief Jonas who does the monthly newsletter called "Division 7 Training and Safety Newsletter" and is usually posted here by member Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx". Chief Jonas talked to the guys about various fires throughout the city over the years and some of the jobs done by the members. He included a story about the late Captain Timmy Gallagher of Engine 88 making a Great Grab at 183 St and Crotona Ave. That story was told in the November, 2015 Newsletter. (See: "Glory Days" for more about Capt Gallagher)
Chief Jonas also wanted to tell us how much he appreciated all the effort that involves so many to get each newsletter out. He told us how one young firefighter (48/56) offered to help him post pictures in each newsletter to add to the story. (earlier issues did NOT have pictures included).
Each newsletter involves much research. He goes into old newspaper stories, the internet and sometimes even contacts members who were there for their stories about it.

The night before, the group was invited to a very special reunion Get Together set up by Retired Chief Jack Kleehass, aka "68jk09" and Retired B/C Steve Ternlund. As their guest we had A GREAT time, with lots of stories and lots of laughs. It was Our HONOR to be there and we certainly appreciate that very special invite.

Finally, a GREAT Get Together organized by Chief Kleehass where many retired and active members of the FDNY, Fire Marshalls, Fire Dispatchers, Buffs and firefighters from outside of NYC joined in. Including Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick and his son, Lt Tommy Bendick, that maybe for many of us, NONE OF THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE, if not for them.

A SPECIAL THANK YOU to Captain Bendick and Lt Tommy Bendick for ALL they have done for so many of us. I will add that Retired Captain John Bendick will be having some surgery done today and I will let all the members here know how he is doing as soon as I get the word.

Captain Bendick, a FDNY War Years Firefighter still LOVES talking about the Job and has quite a resume:

Probie Firefighter Engine 96,
Firefighter Squad Co 2
Firefighter Engine 75 just as the activity increased in that neighborhood. Also Batt 19 aide
Lt Engine 68
Captain Engine 23