News of Members

Welcome aboard Stu. "Allegedly", I have known Uncle Wilfred since 1973 when we were volunteers together in Fairfield, CT. Please join in on the abuse poured on our Willy D, King of the Big Mac.

Members of NYCFIRE, we have some very interesting news to tell you about some of our most popular, well known, highly respected members.

First Announcement;
Our good friend, Joe Materia, aka "mack" has "finally" joined the ranks of the Unemployed. "mack" has recently retired from his fulltime job at the U.S. Pentagon.
He began working in the Pentagon following a 37 year career with the United States Army retiring at the rank of Colonel. Joe, a West Point Graduate holds two Masters Degrees. As I understand it, Joe was also in charge of the U.S. Army Operations following the Attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

Joe's father was a highly respected member of the FDNY War Years and retired at the rank of Battalion Chief. That is how Joe got interested in the fire service (FDNY) and he would often ride with his father in Coney Island, which was seeing it's own share of plenty of work in those days. Then later in Staten Island.

Joe's son is also a firefighter assigned to one of Boston's busiest Ladder Companies. His son as I understand it spent Three Tours in Iraq with the Special Forces. He also saved a woman's life who had her leg amputated after being hit at the Boston Marathon Bombing. Later both got married and their story was told on several television networks.

Joe, you certainly leave with an impressive resume. Thank you for all you have done for us and I greatly appreciate your friendship.

Now we move on to another highly respected and popular member known as "guitarman314". Of course I am talking about Tom Eve. A retired Post Office Supervisor as well as a very talented guitar player who played with some of the Most Popular Doo Wop groups of our time. In addition to that, Tom was very skilled with building fire truck models from scratch. He would be able to make an EXACT Model of any fire truck whether the FDNY or otherwise. Tom has made such hand crafted models for many members of this site.

Many of us here also know Tom on a personnel basis. He presents a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the history of FDNY Fire apparatus. We have seen that many times here on that site with his contributions.

Tom also grew up in the South Bronx during the FDNY War Years. As I understand, he was a buff who would have close ties to the members of Engine 60 and Ladder 17, some of the busiest FDNY companies in the city as the South Bronx was burning everyday and night.

Later Tom moved to Staten Island where he had made his home there until October 9th of this year (2020).
Tom Eve, aka "Gman", has moved to a sunny, warmer, St Cloud, Fla. No more snow and ice for him.
As I understand it, he is keeping his home at this time in S.I. and will be renting it out to one of his daughters.

Well Tom, I think you'll find yourself plenty of retired firefighters down there with you. I'm sure it won't take long and you may even find a few guys who maybe you remember from the old neighborhood.
We wish you all the Best Tom. Just keep in touch with us guys up here, okay.

Now just one more interesting note that I never knew before.

This site owner, "tbendick" as well as his associate, "truck4", grew up together as kids and went to school together. Both celebrate the same birthdays together. Both have a daughter and younger son of school age.
"tbendick" is now a Lt in the FDNY and "truck4" is now a Capt in the Yonkers Police Dept.

Well guys, for me it's time to go. I haven't done anything but eat and brush my teeth. It's now almost 3 pm. Remember earlier I told you being Old and Unemployed has some Advantages. Well Joe, "mack", you'll get used to it soon enough too, now that you are RETIRED.

Congrats to both Mack and G-man! Mack will only be retired part-time, as we are currently in negations for him to become part-time aide to the Chief of Training! He is a tough negotiator; keeps threatening to bring in a big gun from Norwich CT...

Last edited:
Members of Nycfire.net, once again it gives me great pleasure to announce another member of my alumina called the Norwich Fire Dept.

Maybe 20 or so years ago, my brother and I are in a neighborhood store in West Haven, Ct. My brother, a Bridgeport Firefighter at the time, tells me that he knows a young guy that works there and says he is taking the next test for the Norwich Fire Dept, aka "Rose City's Bravest". So we go in there and he introduces me to him. His name is Mark Siscuso and Mark tells me that he signed up to take the next test for the job. I could tell that he's really into it by the things he's saying.

So I wish him luck and in my mind I'm thinking; "Yea, him and a few other hundred guys taking that test for about 4 or 5 openings". I didn't want to sound negative but "I wouldn't count on getting it".

The testing process begins and a year or so later, we get word that our new probies will ride with us for a couple of days before going into the Recruit Probie Class for the next 10, 12 or so weeks. We get two probies assigned to ride with us for the day.

We sit down and I tell our two new probies what is expected of them. I have no idea who they are when I first meet them. When we are finished Mark "nfdcanman" says to me, "How's your brother doing" ? I asked him, "how do you know my brother" ? Mark says: "he used to come into the store I worked at in West Haven" and he says he remembers meeting me too.

I had just written Mark, aka "Sparky" as he was later nicknamed off. But "The Spark" did EXTREMELY WELL. I couldn't wait to tell my brother who our newest probie was.

After Probie school Mark joined us as part of our team. He was required to become an EMT and later I believe he was one of the first members to become a part of the newly formed HazMat Team. Used both on a citywide, as well as regional basis. Mark was also promoted to Lt a few years ago. He's the kind of dedicated officer that fire depts need to lead those under his command.

"NFDcanman" has been a member of this site since December, 2017.
"Sparky", I'm sure you've already enjoyed this site. I'm also sure you will fit right in because; "You're Into It".

By the way Mark, sometimes I see you guys riding by in the rigs. It still lights a "Spark in me", wishing that I was back riding in your seat. Whenever you see the Willy Ds Buffmobile out there, just give him a toot on the horn. "It'll make my day".

Welcome, "Spark" . . . although I suspect you've been lurking around here for a while. Hope you enjoy what you find . . . and any stories you may have (especially about Willy) would be very welcome. I understand how you might be a little reluctant to treat Uncle Wilmern the way he richly deserves, due to his being senior to you in the Norwich department, but remember . . . here his position is that of "Permanent Probie". If you doubt that, just ask anyone. ? o_O:cool:;)?‍♂️

Congratulations Joe on your well deserved retirement. Now you too can get plenty of food stains on your shirt as our commandant Captain "Tough" Willy D does. Enjoy your retirement and don't forget to throw out your alarm clock. You won't need it anymore.

Last edited:
Like to take the time to wish one of our “Young Guns” a Happy 25th Birthday.
Happy 25th Birthday to the Staten Island native him self. FDNYSTATENISLAND Aka Nicholas F
I must say I wish I was still 25 haha

Hope you enjoy your day

Like to take the time to wish one of our “Young Guns” a Happy 25th Birthday.
Happy 25th Birthday to the Staten Island native him self. FDNYSTATENISLAND Aka Nicholas F
I must say I wish I was still 25 haha

Hope you enjoy your day

Happy 25th Birthday "FDNY-S.I".

Thank you also for your contributions to this site.

Happy and healthy good wishes to Mack and Gman on their new ventures! Good luck, stay safe and have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!