Temporary Relocations

Looking at the plans I notice the Chief's bay is only eight feet wide.
A bay that wide was insufficient over 40 years ago when the job went to SUV-type rigs, even though they weren't called SUVs back then.
Don't the planners get any input from the men who actually work in firehouses?
I remember back a little after the 18th Batt. got their Suburban we got relocated down to the 8th Batt. I backed in at crawl speed all the way back to inches from a bunch of electrical panels and when the door closed it just cleared the front end. To get out of the car I had to slide across the front seat and get out the Chief door. Did I mention we had to pull in the Chief side mirror so it didn't hit?

I remember back a little after the 18th Batt. got their Suburban we got relocated down to the 8th Batt. I backed in at crawl speed all the way back to inches from a bunch of electrical panels and when the door closed it just cleared the front end. To get out of the car I had to slide across the front seat and get out the Chief door. Did I mention we had to pull in the Chief side mirror so it didn't hit?
That space, I believe, was originally for the car used by the Manhattan/Bronx AC/DAC who was on duty overnight. The 8th Battalion was parked in the bay with the engine and truck.