VINTAGE FDNY WAR YEAR LIDS

nfd2004

After reviewing all these 25 or so pages of "Vintage Lids" (with the latest count of about 233,000 views), I MUST Admit, "I'm really kind of bias towards those FDNY Lids.

I've always thought they were the BEST, and "I still do". I guess that's because they kind of speak for themselves.

Thank you once again Mr Gage for your huge contribution and very interesting collection of the fire service Vintage Lids from all around the world.

JohnnyGage

Here are some lids with simple home made front "pieces":

These little more fancier and have an Eagle decal:

Oops, forgot to add this one...

nfd2004

I remember when the new FDNY Probies were wearing black, a kind of round plastic helmets. I think they were called: "Metro's".

As I remember, they were used on a trial basis by a few companies in the FDNY. I think one company might have been Ladder 19 (?) in the Bronx.

Here in Connecticut I know a few places that used them too. Most didn't last too long here either. The guys didn't speak too favorable of them.

I would visit "The Rock" and watch the group of Probies training and wearing those helmets. Each Probie would have their last name written on a piece of wide masking tape put on their helmet.

It might have been sometime in the mid to late 80s when the FDNY had tried out those Lids.

JohnnyGage

nfd2004 said:
I remember when the new FDNY Probies were wearing black, a kind of round plastic helmets. I think they were called: "Metro's".

As I remember, they were used on a trial basis by a few companies in the FDNY. I think one company might have been Ladder 19 (?) in the Bronx.

Here in Connecticut I know a few places that used them too. Most didn't last too long here either. The guys didn't speak too favorable of them.

I would visit "The Rock" and watch the group of Probies training and wearing those helmets. Each Probie would have their last name written on a piece of wide masking tape put on their helmet.

It might have been sometime in the mid to late 80s when the FDNY had tried out those Lids.
I had one in Proby School like you mentioned above, I think L 19 tried another style...Since we did not receive our fitted leather New Yorker in time for graduation, you took this lid to your assigned company. Thankfully I had my old DCFD leather NYer, I just had to paint it from yellow to black. These proby school lids were hideous! (Or maybe thats just my ugly mug...)

Lebby

JohnnyGage said:
A couple of banged up FDNY vintage helmets:

CAPTAIN LIDS AND FRONTPIECES:

Interesting, JohnnyGage can you shed light onto those Newark fronts? Especially since of those companies have disbanded in the 1970 and I don't believe Ladder 13 was ever established (But, I could certainly be wrong)

JohnnyGage

Sorry Lebby wish I could, these photos pop up on different sites, most with no explanation.

soda-acid

Most, if not all of the Newark lids pictured are copies. And no Newark never had a Ladder (or Truck) 13.

JohnnyGage

A couple of pencil drawings:

Here are vintage CD lids;

From Deadtroit, I mean Detroit...

San Diego

NYC

OTHER WWII STYLE LIDS:

(FROM HONOLULU)

WHAT THE HECK, REALLY?

nfd2004

No offense guys, and I'm sure you got your "favorites" too, but throughout these 26 pages of FD Lids and front pieces, those old leather "FDNY War Lids and Helmet Fronts" are still my FAVORITES.

Whether it'd be the "Bronx Bend", or just one of those "twisted" and "beat up" War Year Leathers. There's just something about them. They kind of talk to ya.......

manhattan

Absolutely right, Willy - they do talk to ya'  and I just wish I could hear their stories more clearly! Can ya' just imagine!!!

JohnnyGage

nfd2004 said:

Willy,
Went back to reply #115 for what I think you're looking for

JohnnyGage

nfd2004 said:
No offense guys, and I'm sure you got your "favorites" too, but throughout these 26 pages of FD Lids and front pieces, those old leather "FDNY War Lids and Helmet Fronts" are still my FAVORITES.

Whether it'd be the "Bronx Bend", or just one of those "twisted" and "beat up" War Year Leathers. There's just something about them. They kind of talk to ya.......
I heard ya Willy!

nfd2004

JohnnyGage said:
nfd2004 said:

I heard ya Willy!

Thank you Johnny for your understanding. I think back here and I seem to remember somewhere you saying that "your helmet is your resume". How TRUE that is. A helmet can speak for itself and a firefighter doesn't need to tell any stories. Particularly those older leather helmets.

Take the photo I quoted above that you had posted of an FDNY Capt of Ladder 22. It's seen a few fires in it's day. It could write a book of it's own.

Maybe in its book it could even mention how it remembers seeing that crazy guy from Connecticut, running around on Harlem's West side of Manhattan, chasing a bunch of guys with helmets just like me. Wondering what the hell is this guy doing down here.