UNION, NJ:

SOME TIN LIDS:

nfd2004

JohnnyGage said:
ONE FOR WILLY:

FOR MY NEWARK FANS:

CLIFTON, NJ:

UNION, NJ:

Johnny, I certainly appreciate your efforts and thoughts in presenting that (Norwich) helmet for the viewing audience. But I must take this opportunity to tell my story. I understand, the (Norwich) helmet you presented to us has it's own stories to tell. But I was always more into the helmets that kind of looked like those from Jersey (Newark, Clifton and Union).

I was once forced to wear something like that helmet you posted here. But "Together we put up such a fuss about it", that whatever ones we DID have, we convinced the upper management level of the department to get rid of them. I guess they ended up "donating" them to other departments. Members of the department presented facts on why we should go back to our other helmets. I think, including the reason the FDNY was getting rid of them (Plastic Dart Vaders). After a year or so, "The Norwich Pro Leather Forever Organization" successfully WON the Battle. Hence came the very popular "Leather Forever" Tee shirts, which I proudly wore. Those tee shirts had a big picture of a leather helmet and the words "Leather Forever" on it.

Let me also add a TRUE Story along with this.

Shortly after going back to those LEATHER HELMETS, we had a job in a 2 1/2 story frame. In coming out of the second floor window, I slipped getting onto the ladder and came crashing down into an alleyway separating the other exposure. In that alleyway was about a three foot concrete wall separating the property. wearing that Leather Helmet, the back of my head hit that wall.

The only injury was a dislocated shoulder. BUT it sure might have been much worse if wearing one of those Dart Vaders only a few months earlier. 

jbendick

Administrator
    Ask any fireman (firefighter) what is their most prized possession. .Most would say their helmet. Prior to all the new regulations, their helmet would be used throughout their career.
  I got my first helmet at proby school. Carnes would come out to the rock with a special machine that actually measured the circumference of your head. The inner crown was to come at a later time.
  The helmet represented who you are. It also may represent the department and company you are with. Their rank and possible badge number are on the helmet. Some would try to change the shape of the brim to look salty. The golden rule is don?t mess with a guy?s helmet.
  So if ones helmet is lost or stolen it can be devastating and in some cases it can be costly. For many of us hired before the dept. supplied the uniform and personal protective equipment, we were responsible for our own outfits.  During my career I had both things happen to me.
  Back in the late 70?s and early 80?s , the job (FDNY) was suffering from a shortage of school trained chauffeurs. Chauffeurs, in the FDNY, are not a promotion and are picked by the company commander. Chauffeurs receive compensation only for the tour that they drive. To overcome the problem, they started a program where a company commander was to have members trained on company level.
  I became one of those trained members. One day I was scheduled to drive. After relieving the chauffeur, I put my gear in the rear compartment on the driver side. Unknown to me I failed to secure the compartment door. During one of the runs going up 183St my helmet must have fallen out of the compartment. Later in the day a gentlemen entered quarters, to my surprise, and returned my helmet. God must have been on my side.
  On one night tour we were first due at an all hands or better. The fire was on the top floor of a building on 184th St. and Valentine Ave. At the time we had a Ft-2 tip on the 1st line. While operating the line we experienced water problems. To compound the situation the fire was entering the cockloft. We took the tip off and opened the nozzle part way and was able to extinguish fire before it got any headway. When we got back to the rig, we found out that a large amount of glass enter the pump because of a broken inlet screen. This enabled the small bits to work its way to the FT-2 tip. Prior to that I was in Sq.2 where we experienced this often at least once a week. I would break down the tip and clean it out. Eventually, most companies removed the tip from the 1st line.
  While taking up, I placed my helmet on the jump seat. At the time, we were using a spare with open jump seats. As we finished packing the bed, I got one of those eerie feelings and went immediately to check my gear. One look and I knew my helmet was gone.  Being it was a warm night the streets were full of people.  After asking several people, one teenager said no big deal the city will replace it. I explained that I had to pay to replace it myself. Fortunately a nice young lady,  to my amazement, showed up with it. Raising 5 kids money was tight in those days. Again thank you Lord.
  Having worked in the South and West Bronx most of my career during the hay days when ? The Bronx was burning?, I dealt with a lot of low life?s. But I met more good people. I would see them at six in the morning going to work and coming home at six at night. These people are caught in a bubble and no matter how hard they worked they can?t get out. They are forced to live next to those undesirables. We would go into a beautiful apt. and next door would be a roach infested sh-t house. I learned to judge an individual for who they are and not where they live.   

20200328-164937.jpg

JohnnyGage

THIS UNIQUE LID, CIRCA 1840 IS MADE FROM REINFORCED CARDBOARD:

LIDS FROM INDUSTRIES, AIRPORTS, MISC:

EMS LIDS:

JohnnyGage

Couple of L 112 lids:

Lt. TK

JohnnyGage

☆☆☆  SEND ME A PHOTO OF YOUR LID  !  ☆☆☆

nfd2004

Dan, I'm sending you a couple of pictures of Lids back from my younger days if you want to post them. It includes a brief story about one of them.

It proved itself quite well when I needed it. 

JohnnyGage

Here are three lids worn by Mr. "Tough" Willy;

E 46

Helmet damage when Willy fell from window, helmet damaged from striking cement wall, sparing his coconut.

Willy's duty helmet upon retirement.

***** LET'S SEE YOUR LID ! *****

JohnnyGage

A SWITCH-A-ROO, HERE IS THE HELMET COLLECTION OF LT. TK OF L 112 UNDER THE HOOD OF HIS VET,  CLASSIC !

NOTICE PRE-BOURKE EYE SHIELD:

MORE 216 STUFF:

OTHER FRONTPIECES:

LT. TK  E 277 LID & FRONTPIECE;

JohnnyGage

FROM THE COLLECTION OF STEVE WHALEN. STEVE IS FOURTH GENERATION FDNY. STEVES FATHER, GRANDFATHER AND GREAT-GRANDFATHER SERVED WITH THE FDNY. STEVE WAS IN SAME PROBY CLASS AS JK, TOM KEUFNER AND SITE ADMINISTRATOR JOHN BENDICK. STEVE IS NOW PRESIDENT OF BROWARD COUNTY RETIREES.

GRANDFATHERS HIGH FRONTPIECE E 29, CIRCA 1908

FRONTPIECE COLLECTION WORN BY STEVE WHALENS FATHER:

PHOTO OF GREAT GRANDFATHER ON TOP DRIVING RIG, HE WAS A 31 YEAR OLD "WHIP" CIRCA 1887. GREAT GRANDFATHER DID TWO, FIVE YEAR TOURS IN U.S. CAVALRY AFTER LYING ABOUT HIS AGE, THEN HIRED BY BROOKLYN FD:

(NOTE): STEAM ENGINE #5,  IS NOW MIDDAGH STREET E 205.

STEVES DAD; DAC WILLIAM WHALEN:

HELMET COLLECTION: STEVES GRANDFATHER, HIS DADS, HIS OWN:

STEVE L 105:

GREAT GRANDFATHER'S ISSUED 'BROOKLYN' FD BADGE:

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON...BOTH SERVED IN L 105

FATHERS DC FRONTPIECE AS SHOWN ON MIDDLE HELMET ABOVE.

STEVE WHALEN, PRESIDENT BROWARD COUNTY FDNY RETIREES:

68jk09

Thanks Dan for putting this 4 FDNY Generation Collection up & Thanks to Steve Whalen for sharing it with us.

68jk09

JohnnyGage said:
^^^^^Good catch JK, pretty cool chapeau!...

YES 299 from back in the old Big House Days pre 1960 when 275...298...299...127 ...& the 50*BN  were on 162 St bet Jamaica & 89 Ave's ...their Home Box was 9876 Jamaica Ave & 162 St.... strange fact was that back before 1960 299 went to boxes South of the FH & 275 went to boxes North of the FH but when the two ENGs left for new FHs in 1960 275 went South to Merrick Blvd & 111 Ave & 299 went North to Utopia Pkwy off the Long Island Expwy. opposite directions of their former response areas.

JohnnyGage

SOME COOL TIN LIDS:

Check out 'DRAGON FINIAL'

Check out the home made repair job.