100' Ferrara Rear Mount Aerials

One question. If you brought yout wife a car and it sucked, would you buy a second vehicle from that dealer. I know NOTHING about FDNY specs for rigs, but if you add on a second and a third year to the contract does that tell you something. AGAIN I AM NOT A RIG SPECS BUT????

54 Ferrara's is going to be a majority of rearmounts in the fleet. If this is so, the future doesn't look good :(

Make sure you spec what you need. In 1984 I returned to Boston with my new-born son and wife. BFD had just started a RM program with E_ONE. Ladder 16 got a rig and the guys were pissed, they were going through brakes. E-ONE said the rigs were the same as Chicago. I now live in Chicago and we ain;t got no hills. Best bowl of chili was at 53/16 house. Bid and spec what you need for.

Bulldog

Bulldog
grumpy grizzly said:
One question. If you brought yout wife a car and it sucked, would you buy a second vehicle from that dealer. I know NOTHING about FDNY specs for rigs, but if you add on a second and a third year to the contract does that tell you something. AGAIN I AM NOT A RIG SPECS BUT????
I certainly agree with your way of thinking and that's kind of why I'm so surprised they keep buying more Ferrera equipment (especially ladders) without having proved that any of them are suitable for service with FDNY!  No matter how good the specifications are unless the units are well built they won't hold up in continuous service.  Yes, the service and warranty requirements are very rigid but if you have 20 first line ladders out of service that really doesn't help.

Bulldog said:
grumpy grizzly said:
I certainly agree with your way of thinking and that's kind of why I'm so surprised they keep buying more Ferrera equipment (especially ladders) without having proved that any of them are suitable for service with FDNY!  No matter how good the specifications are unless the units are well built they won't hold up in continuous service.  Yes, the service and warranty requirements are very rigid but if you have 20 first line ladders out of service that really doesn't help.
  Or a "worse case scenario" of 54 aerials O.O.S. :eek: ::)

11/1/11: Update from Ferrara's "In Production" page - Ladder Co.'s 3, 11 & 132 look all but complete.  Still no new shots on the "New Deliveries" page, however...

guitarman314 said:
Bulldog said:
grumpy grizzly said:
  Or a "worse case scenario" of 54 aerials O.O.S. :eek: ::)

Or maybe there will be some kinks and then the O.O.S rate will be the same that it is with our Seagraves.  NO ONE KNOWS!  Lets stop writing their obituaries.  We have no idea how this, brand-new-from-the-ground-up, chassis will handle the task.

The folks that will be the best judge of the apparatus abilities will be the ones that use them

PREVIOUSLY REPORTED

Jack Lerch in the September/October issue of FAJ states that a second add on order for thirteen more 100' rear mount aerials has been placed.

"This will make a total of 54 units.  The current three year contract was for twenty units, based onthree orders of six, four and ten. An add on order was approved for the building of twenty one units"

This additional order of 13 will allow replacement of all of the 1999. 2001, and 2002 units in front line service.

UPDATE  UPDATE UPDATE  UPDATE

Looking at the "In Production" page, the last three units of the original order of twenty are lettered and nearing completion.

The ADD ON ORDER for 21 units is well underway, with five units on the "In Production" page namely units:

Was talking with an Emergency Crew Mechanic & He said 32 Truck received their new rig Friday night & said they went out of Service yesterday morning

Bulldog

Bulldog
FDNYBuff97 said:
Was talking with an Emergency Crew Mechanic & He said 32 Truck received their new rig Friday night & said they went out of Service yesterday morning
That certainly sounds promising!  Did he say why it went OS?

Bulldog said:
FDNYBuff97 said:
That certainly sounds promising!  Did he say why it went OS?
He didn't say

New Ladder 32 OOS after 24 hours! Im going to keep my comments to Myself for right now.

Heard that it was a relay switch and that was it, not sure if they swapped rig out or still have it after repair.

It did not make it thru a complete first tour .....0630 hrs a relay burned out & the rig would not start !

The Tower Ladders are quiet complex rigs, I can onjly go on what I have read on this forum, but were there problems like this with the Seagrave 75 foot Towers when they started operating with the companies??

JT

I am sure there are bugs to be worked out n things need to be checked but the first few rigs have been done for a while ad still are not in service. I saw L156 last week back at the rock with te windows wide open and the rain pouring into it! I hope Ferrara is a success but it not starting of great and no one seems to know why any of the rigs have not entered service!