FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - 2nd Section

mack

Administrator
Engine 302/Ladder 155 (cont)

Engine 302 Centennial:

Engine Co. 302 Marks Centennial
    TimesLedger.com - October 26, 2007
    by Ivan Pereira

Fire Engine Company 302 in South Ozone Park has long been a community presence for the people in southeast Queens. For 100 years, the firefighters of Engine 302 and Ladder Company 155, which shares the firehouse, have fought tens of thousands of fires, saved countless lives, and improved the safety of South Jamaica, South Ozone Park and John F. Kennedy Airport. 
    "A lot of guys have given 100 percent and sacrificed a lot for the people of the community," said Capt. Anthony Varriale. On Tuesday, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta joined past and present members of the company to celebrate its century of service with a plaque presentation at the firehouse. Scoppetta commended the company, which is nicknamed the "Viper's Nest" for being a major part in the development of Queens county during the turn of the 20th century.
    "People came to the borough for a safe environment to raise their kids, and you, the members of 302, have helped them by keeping it safe," he said. Engine 302 began as the volunteer company known as the "Distler Hose Company #3" on 150th Street and Jamaica Avenue in the 19th century, Varriale said. After Queens joined the four other boroughs to form New York City in 1898, the volunteer fire houses were consolidated into a single paid fire department.
    On July 5, 1907, Engine 302 was officially established in the quarters of Distler #3. In 1931 the company moved to its current quarters at 143-15 Rockaway Blvd. and in 1947 the company shared its firehouse with Ladder 155, according to Varriale. Over the last 100 years, the firehouse has handled numerous fires and disasters, including the 727 plane crash on Rockaway Boulevard in 1975, the Sept. 11 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the plane crash in the Rockaways in November 2001.
    "When you think about it, 100 years is really a hell of a long time to be in service. There have been a lot of changes...[but] what has never changed in this department are the qualities that you possess," Scoppetta said.
    Varriale said that his team is always grateful for working in the community, because most residents show their gratitude for their work. "Any time we're called to an emergency, people tell us how we're doing a good job," he said.
    The love of the job also carries over to the firefighters' friendships both in and out the firehouse, as all members consider themselves part of a special family, Varriale said.
    That camaraderie was so strong that it spurred firefighter Steven Kuefner, 37, to follow the footsteps of his father, Ret. Lt. Thomas, 63, and join the engine company.
    "I was familiar with the house as a kid and I always wanted to come back. My dad brought me in all the time for Christmas parties, and it was always fun," he said.

Capt. Anthony Varriale:

Lt. Thomas Kuefner (Ret):

FF Steven Kuefner:

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 medals:

RAYMOND H. NELSON FF. LAD. 155 DEC. 9, 1937 1938 HUGH BONNER

GERADE V. ALBRO FF. LAD. 155 NOV. 30, 1965 1966 COLUMBIA

MARTIN SCHMIDT FF. LAD. 155 FEB. 12, 1976 1977 KANE

BRUCE BAXTER FF. LAD. 155 JUL. 9, 1982 1983 SIGNAL 77

ROBERT R. MAYNES FF. LAD. 155 SEP. 9, 1987 1988 HOLY NAME

HERMAN C. BRINGE FF. LAD. 155 APR. 21, 1988 1989 BRUMMER

ROBERT R. MAYNES FF. LAD. 155 APR. 13, 1989 1990 AMERICAN LEGION

DAC Maynes - 2012 became Queens Boro Commander:

GERALD P. MCMANUS FF. LAD. 155 OCT. 26, 2016 BONNOR/HONOR LEGION MEDAL

GERALD P. MCMANUS FF. LAD. 155 SEP. 8 2017 LAGUARDIA

MARK E. ACKERMAN FF. LAD. 155 SEP. 8 2017 FIRE CHIEFS ASSOCIATION

J. BRENDAN CORRIGAN LT. LAD.155 SEP. 8, 2017 HISPANIC SOCIETY/23RD ST. FIRE MEMORIAL

ENGINE 302 SEP. 8, 2017 CURRAN

MARK E. ACKERMAN FF. LAD. 155 NOV. 5, 2018 STEUBEN SOCIETY

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 - Queens Box 22-4927  2/26/12:

Queens Chronicle March 1, 2012 "Eight Injured in a Jamaica House Fire"
    by Annmarie Costella, Assistant Editor Mar 1, 2012

Toddler was dropped from window in desperate attempt to escape blaze

FDNY Capt. Anthony Varriale of Engine 302, located directly across the street from where the house burned, was among the first on the scene.

PHOTO by AnnMarie Costella

It was a terrifying scene early last Thursday morning in South Jamaica as six people, desperate to escape the smoke and flames that were ravaging their home, were about to jump from second-story windows in an attempt to flee. A woman hung her toddler from one window and dropped him into the arms of a Good Samaritan passing by, according to a fire official.

The blaze at 143-18 Rockaway Blvd. began in the hallway, completely blocking the exits with thick billowing black smoke, but the flames did not make their way into the apartments because the doors were closed, according to Capt. Anthony Varriale of Engine 302, which is located across the street and was the first company on the scene.

Six people were taken to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Two firefighters were also injured. One sustained a torn rotator cuff while other sprained his ankle, Varriale said.

Firefighters from Engine 302-Ladder 155 had just come back a half an hour earlier from another blaze in the northern part of Jamaica when they realized they were needed once again.

Varriale and Capt. Daniel Delargy of Ladder 155 were making out their report from the previous call, when Varriale said he heard a scream.

At first, he said, he didn?t think anything of it because the area is always buzzing with activity and he thought it was just some neighborhood youths being rowdy, but he soon realized he was wrong.

?I could see heavy, black, smoke coming out of the top three windows,? Varriale said. ?There were people in the two right windows. There was a woman standing on the ledge from the middle window, hanging the baby down. ... And before I could say ?Don?t drop him,? she dropped him, and this guy caught him.?

The blaze began at about 2:50 a.m. and 12 units and 60 firefighters were on the scene in minutes to tackle the all-hands fire. It was brought under control at 3:36 a.m.

?The people were in panic mode because they couldn?t breathe,? Varriale said. ?Several of them had lacerations from breaking the windows. They couldn?t go down the stairs because there was nothing but fire in the stairwell. What saved them was the door to the apartment was closed to the hall.?

Since the cause is still under investigation, about four officials from the Fire Marshall?s Office were at the scene examining the structure on Thursday afternoon.

?We?re surveying the damage and canvassing the area to see if anyone knows what happened,? said one official, who would not give his name.

The door to the house was padlocked closed. Fire officials said the occupants had copies of the keys, so they could go in and retrieve their belongings, but they would not be allowed to live there.

Man Helps Save Child in Suspicious Queens Fire
NY 1 - February 24, 2012

A city man is being credited with helping to save a young child Thursday following an early morning fire in Queens that investigators have labeled suspicious. The New York City Fire department says flames broke out just before 3 a.m. on Rockaway Boulevard and 144th street in South Jamaica.

Shamel Lawrence, 26, said he saw a woman perched dangerously on a narrow ledge of the house, trying to escape the smoke and flames, and was about to drop her toddler son 15 feet to the ground. That's when he and another man reached up to help the little boy. "I heard a woman yelling help me help me and I hear glass breaking," said Lawrence. "I see a baby dangling out the window."

Firefighters from Engine 302/Ladder 155 - located right across the street - were able to respond quickly to the fire.
One fire captain says the victims were lucky there was a person driving by to catch the boy.

"About two years old. Fortunately for her he stopped when he did because we were still in quarters getting our equipment on. We were telling them not to jump, but it seemed like forever getting across the street," said FDNY Captain Anthony Varriale.

Lawrence says he helped another child out, along with a woman.

Firefighters also rescued three more adults. All six residents, including two children, suffered only minor injuries - mostly smoke inhalation and cuts to their hands. They, along with three firefighters, were treated at Jamaica Hospital.

Fire officials say they blaze was concentrated in the front hallway, and that its location and intensity raised alarms of possible arson.

"It seemed suspicious because it's three in the morning, it's not an occupied area, there's no heaters in the hallway. Why should there be a fire there?" said FDNY Captain Dan Delargy.

Residents who spoke with NY1 at the scene say they thought the house was abandoned and that word of possible arson now has them nervous.

"That would be dangerous to do that, knowing a baby is inside there. Endangering the welfare of a child. That wouldn't be fair," said one neighbor.
Neighbors tell NY1 there has been trouble on the block before. They say a man was stabbed in the head on New Year's Day and is still recovering.

Queens Box 22-4927 Rundown:

Box 4927 - Rockaway Blvd and 125 Street
117-23 126TH ST & ROCKAWAY BLVD.
South Ozone Park

06:26
Disp 127: Box after initial reporting of a fire at that location

First Alarm
Engines: 302, 308, 303
Trucks: TL155, L126
BC51

06:27
E302: 10-75 fire first floor of a PD

10-75 Assignment
E285
TL142 FAST
Rescue 4
Squad 270
BC50
DC13

06:29
BC51: All hands at the Box - 2-1/2 story peaked roof PD - 20x40
Exposures
1 - street
2 - alley
3 - rear yard
4 - alley
2L/S one in operation - trucks are opening up - fire is doubtful

06:31
BC51: fire is in the basement

06:32
BC51: Collyers Mansion condition in the building

06:34
BC51: Extra Engine and Extra Truck due to heavy fire in the basement
E331 and L173 are S/C
DC13 is 10-84

06:41
DC13: 3L/S 2 in operation - extension to the first possibly second floor - need utilities on scene - still doubtful
Duration 17 minutes

06:43
Around
DC13: need the gas company forthwith - we have a gas fed fire
Duration 19 minutes

06:47
DC13: Second Alarm - fire is into the second floor 

06:48
DC13: searches will be delayed due to Collyers Mansion Conditions
Duration 23 minutes

Second Alarm includes
BC39 - Safety
BC54 - RUL
RB
SB
E324/Sat
FC
TS
Note: Engine and Truck rundown sent to MDT

06:51
DC13: primaries negative and secondaries underway - have Second Alarm units report to Command Post for relief

06:52
DC13: return E324/Sat, RB and SB

Relocations include
E287/E331 (redirected)
TL135/TL142
E313/E303
E304/E302

Pictures:

http://www.firstonscenephotos.com/FDNY/FDNY-Queens-2nd-Alarm-Ozone226/21640287_K55NDL#!i=1726007010&k=7frGSS6

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 - Queens Box 75-8903 10/26/16:

"QNS" Firefighter helps save a man?s life while battling a house fire in south Jamaica
    By Robert Pozarycki / rpozarycki@qns.com / Wednesday, October 26, 2016 / 7:10 PM

Firefighter Gerard McManus of Ladder Company 155 pulled an unconscious man from a burning south Jamaica home on Wednesday afternoon.

The Bravest of Ladder Company 155 and Engine Company 308 in South Jamaica truly lived up to the Fire Department?s reputation on Wednesday when they helped save a man?s life during a blaze at a neighborhood home.

Members of the units based on Rockaway Boulevard rushed to the residence on 140th Street near 133rd Avenue at about 1:36 p.m. on Oct. 26. According to firefighter Gerard McManus of Ladder 155, firefighters could see plumes of black smoke billowing from the home two blocks before they arrived on scene.

Upon arrival, the firefighters saw flames and heavy smoke throughout the structure. McManus, in search of potentially trapped residents, went to the rear of the home and forced through two rear doors to get inside.

Encountering heavy smoke upon entering the kitchen, McManus ? breathing through an oxygen mask ? began searching the area, feeling his way through the home before finding the unconscious man in the dining room.

?When I made my way into the dining room, I felt a foot, immediately transmitted a 10-45 (call for assistance for an injured victim) and pulled him out the way I came in,? McManus said in a post on the Fire Department?s Facebook page.

Upon getting the man out of the home, McManus handed him off to Engine 308 members, who began administering CPR. Paramedics from Station 50 then arrived at the location and continued the CPR work that the engine company members began, eventually reviving the man.

The injured man was rushed to a local hospital with burns and smoke inhalation, and is now listed in stable condition, Fire Department sources said.

For Lieutenant Brendan Corrigan of Ladder 155, it was all in a day?s work for the team of lifesavers. ?You practice like you play and we drill constantly,? Corrigan said. ?What we did here today is what we train for every day. The guys all knew their jobs and performed exceptionally well.?

The blaze was brought under control at 2:52 p.m., and the cause is under investigation.

https://qns.com/story/2016/10/26/firefighter-helps-save-mans-life-battling-house-fire-south-jamaica-2/

FDNY Facebook "October 26, 2016" 

?As we were 2 blocks away we could see a large column of black smoke, so we knew there a working fire. When we got on scene I immediately went to check the sides and rear of the house, then gave a report that there was fire throughout the first floor and heavy smoke on the second. I forced the two doors in the back to gain entry, put my mask on and went in to do my search. I started in the kitchen first, there was so much smoke I couldn?t see anything. When I made my way into the dining room I felt a foot, immediately transmitted a 10-45 (a signal that is given immediately upon the discovery of a victim with fire-related injuries) and pulled him out the way I came in,? says FDNY Firefighter Gerard McManus (pictured here) of Ladder 155 who rescued an unconscious male earlier this afternoon from a house fire in Queens. Members from Engine 308 initiated the first level of patient care and FDNY EMTs and Paramedics from Station 50 arrived on scene to continue treatment. The patient was revived and transported to a local area hospital in stable condition. FDNY Lt. Brendan Corrigan, Ladder 155, praises the members involved, ?You practice like you play and we drill constantly. What we did here today is what we train for everyday. The guys all knew their jobs and performed exceptionally well.? Firefighter McManus adds, ?This was a team effort, without everyone else I couldn?t have done what I did.?

https://www.facebook.com/FDNY/photos/a.316291185728/10154541356505729/?type=3&theater

Queens Box 75-8903 Rundown:

Fire Location: 133-05 140 St

E-302 gave the 10-75

Fire on the 1st & 2nd fl of a PD

BOX 8903

E-302 gave 10-75

E-311 4th Eng.,

L-158 FAST

13:42..BN-51, 1 10-45 no code

13:57..D-13, PWH

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 - Queens Box 22-8897 9/8/17:

NYC Firenet

0337 hrs...Initial report of children trapped... 302/155 First Due...0340 hrs BN*51 has the Fire..164 acting 158 FAST (158 Original was at All Hands 4698)....0342 hrs BN*51 orders extra E & T 317 (w/CFRD Equipment to the front of the bldg) & 126 ..0345 hrs AH DWH two 10-45 no codes....0350 hrs DV*13 orders a Second Alarm..... 0401 hrs update on the 10-45s..one code 2 & one code 3...0403 hrs PWH but Secondaries will be delayed due to heavy clutter..... 0408 hrs 10-41-1 by DV*13 for heavy Fire on arrival....0452 hrs DV*13 requesting an updated response on the Fire Marshals ....QNS reporting momentarily. 68jk09

"FDNY Facebook":

?We had reports of children trapped upstairs and there was heavy fire pushing out on the first floor when we arrived. We heard screaming so my members quickly made a push up the interior stairs past the fire on the first floor. We all split up to search and I found them hunkered down behind a closed door in the middle room. Once I found them, I transmitted a 10-45 (a signal that is given immediately upon the discovery of a patient with fire-related injuries) and with the help of Engine 302, who knocked down the fire and proceeded up to assist, we made our way out the house safely with the patients,? says FDNY Lieutenant Brendan Corrigan, Ladder 155, who rescued multiple patients from a 2-alarm fire at 123-60 147 Street in Queens today. Lieutenant Corrigan credits the efficient and aggressive fire tactics utilized by the Engine and Ladder companies simultaneously in his ability to search for life in the burning building, ?Everyone was hands on in getting the patients out and they were all where they were supposed to be. The Engine was paramount in this operation because they aggressively knocked down the fire allowing us to bring them out safely. We split up and then came together when the patients were found and we all worked together in getting them out.?

F-3-M-21.jpg

NYC Firenet

0337 hrs...Initial report of children trapped... 302/155 First Due...0340 hrs BN*51 has the Fire..164 acting 158 FAST (158 Original was at All Hands 4698)....0342 hrs BN*51 orders extra E & T 317 (w/CFRD Equipment to the front of the bldg) & 126 ..0345 hrs AH DWH two 10-45 no codes....0350 hrs DV*13 orders a Second Alarm..... 0401 hrs update on the 10-45s..one code 2 & one code 3...0403 hrs PWH but Secondaries will be delayed due to heavy clutter..... 0408 hrs 10-41-1 by DV*13 for heavy Fire on arrival....0452 hrs DV*13 requesting an updated response on the Fire Marshals ....QNS reporting momentarily.

F-2.jpg

SEP 8 2017 For their heroic actions, Engine 302 Lt. Damato, and Firefighters Christopher M. Armstrong, Christopher Cavalcante, James R. Terry, and Kerron V. Ware, will be awarded the Lt. James Curran/New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation Medal. Lt. Corrigan will be awarded the Hispanic Society/23rd Street Fire Memorial Medal of Valor, Firefighter Ackerman will be awarded the Fire Chiefs Association Memorial Medal, and Firefighter McManus will be awarded the Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia Medal."

Ackerman-2017.jpg

Mc-Manus-2017-2.jpg

2.jpg

Queens Chronicle by Michael Gannon June 14, 2018

"FDNY honors Queens heroes on Medal Day - Commissioner and mayor celebrate the bravest of New York?s Bravest
by Michael Gannon, Editor Jun 14, 2018"

5b22a53ed8d43-image.jpg
Engine Co. 302, half of the Vipers Nest station on Rockaway Boulevard in South Jamaica.
PHOTO COURTESY FDNY

The FDNY honored 16 of its members who are either assigned to or live in Queens at its annual Medal Day ceremony on June 6. All citations were provided by the FDNY.

Last Sept. 8, Engine Company 302 and Ladder Co. 155 of South Jamaica were greeted upon their arrival by a woodframe house with its first story fully engulfed with flames ? and a terrified mother telling them her three children were trapped on the second floor.
Ladder 155?s rescue team tried to enter as Lt. Gregory Damato?s team from 302 set up hose lines but was forced to fall back.
Using booster water while hoses were readied, Damato?s group of Christopher Armstrong, Christopher Cavalcante, James Terry and Kerron Ware swept the front of the building, fought their way inside and opened a gap just large enough for Ladder 155 to charge through.
Lt. J. Brendan Corrigan left a man at the foot of the steps. He and Firefighter Mark Ackerman were forced by heat and flames to crawl. They followed the screams of the trapped girls inching their way upstairs.
Fire and parked vehicles left Firefighter Gerard McManus with one option for entering by ladder to assist ? through a second floor window leading to the staircase landing, where he and another firefighter would be exposed to fire beneath them and on all sides.
Corrigan located the girls huddled together. The only way out was the way he and Ackerman came in. The girl panicked as Ackerman, shielding her from the flames, started down the stairs; in her struggling she knocked off his breathing mask, though he was able to get her out. By this time McManus joined the group and took a second victim to the stairs.
Engine 302 steadily gained the upper hand and began its attack on the second floor. Damato directed Terry to assist 155 with the evacuations. Corrigan got the last victim out.
Engine Co. 302 received the Lt. James B. Curran/New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation Medal, which is awarded to units. Ackerman received the Fire Chiefs Association Memorial Medal, while McManus got the Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia Medal; and Corrigan the Hispanic Society/23rd Street Fire Memorial Medal of Valor.

https://www.qchron.com/editions/que...cle_5ddb867d-711d-57ab-a67d-913f8ab21f0a.html

Fire 2017 FDNY June 6, 2018

At approximately 3:30 am on a September 8, 2017, FDNY Ladder 155 and Engine 302 arrived first due to a heavy fire in a private dwelling. A mother ran to Lt. Brendan Corrigan, Ladder 155, and said her three children were trapped inside. Engine 302 immediately started water on the fire, using booster water from their engine. They aggressively pushed forward into the first floor, battling heavy fire to allow Lt. Corrigan to chase the screams of trapped children on the second floor. In zero visibility inside a rapidly deteriorating fire, Lt. Corrigan located the three sisters huddled together. Firefighter Mark E. Ackerman, L 155, followed Lt. Corrigan to the second floor. Forced to crawl up the stairs due to the extreme heat, FF Ackerman pressed forward, and joined Lt. Corrigan. They each removed an individual from the fire, using their bodies as shields as E 302 aggressively extinguished the fire. Firefighter Gerard P. McManus, L 155, brought a portable ladder to the only accessible window on the side of the building. Entering through the window would put him in a dangerous position, exposed and above the fire while trying to located trapped occupants. Once inside, he made contact with Lt. Corrigan, and carried the third girl down the interior stairs to safety. As members from E 302 advanced forward, Lt. Greg Damato instructed his members to assist Ladder 155 with the removal of the three individuals. Once every trapped occupant was safely removed, the members of 302 re-entered the building and continued to extinguish fire. Heroically, they advanced forward to protect a member of Ladder 155 who was operating in the attic above. For their heroic actions, Engine 302 Lt. Damato, and Firefighters Christopher M. Armstrong, Christopher Cavalcante, James R. Terry, and Kerron V. Ware, will be awarded the Lt. James Curran/New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation Medal. Lt. Corrigan will be awarded the Hispanic Society/23rd Street Fire Memorial Medal of Valor, Firefighter Ackerman will be awarded the Fire Chiefs Association Memorial Medal, and Firefighter McManus will be awarded the Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia Medal.

2018 New York?s Bravest Awards Dinner:

FDNY Engine 302 FDNY Ladder 155

At a fire both the engine and truck are needed to extinguish the flames and make rescues of trapped people. If the fire is advanced, the engine has to knock down the flames before the truck can begin its search. On September 8, 2017 at 0334 hours, Engine Co. 302 and Ladder Co. 155 ?the Vipers Nest? were directed to respond first due for a report of smoke at 123-60 147th Street in Queens. As Engine Co. 302 reached the corner of 147th Street the company saw heavy fire coming out of the front window of a house half way down the block. The fire was in a 2-? story peaked roof private dwelling and was also venting from the exposure 2 and 4 sides. A frantic woman at the front gate informed the members that her three kids were trapped on the 2nd floor. LT. Brendan Corrigan of Ladder Co. 155 transmitted that information over the radio to make all members aware of the urgency of the situation. The fire had extended to the exterior siding and was consuming the outside of the house and was auto exposing to the second floor via the front and side windows. The fire was also extending to the siding of exposure 2. The intense fire prevented the members of Ladder 155 from initially entering the house. FF. James Hurson, the roof firefighter, surveyed all sides of the fire building and found only one second story window with which to place a portable ladder because of three cars on the exposure 2 side and rear yard. FF. Hurson forced the side door and determined that there was no fire in the basement and transmitted that information to LT. Corrigan. FF. Hurson informed FF. Gerard McManus, the outside vent firefighter of Ladder 155, to bring a 24-foot extension ladder to the exposure 4 side. They climbed the ladder to the second floor hallway into difficult conditions.
Once the nozzle team of Engine Co. 302 was ready to begin its attack, LT. Gregory Damato ordered the ECC Christopher Cavalcante to start water. The rig was not yet connected to a hydrant, so FF. Cavalcante supplied booster water while finishing the hookup. LT. Damato informed the nozzle firefighter Kerron Ware to sweep the front of the house and exposure 2 to limit the amount of heat and fire that was auto exposing the 2nd floor. After knocking down the heavy fire on the exterior, Engine Co. 302 made an aggressive push into the first floor and quickly advanced through the clutter while knocking down the heavy fire. This allowed LT. Corrigan and FF. Mark Ackerman, the irons firefighters of Ladder 155, to crawl to the second floor through high heat and zero visibility to search for the trapped occupants. LT. Corrigan ordered FF. Ted Parente, the can firefighter, to remain at the base of the stairs to monitor conditions. LT. Corrigan heard cries for help. Engine Co. 302, which was still on booster water, continued to advance deeper into the first floor where there was a room in the rear that was on fire. LT. Corrigan and FF. Ackerman split up and LT. Corrigan quickly found two of the three sisters in the middle bedroom. As LT. Corrigan was removing one of the victims, he located the third victim and informed FF. McManus.
As the engine made the rear room FF. Cavalcante informed the officer that the company was now on hydrant water. LT. Damato dropped back on the hoseline to make sure that the fire had not flared up behind the company. At the base of the stairs LT. Damato heard FF. Ackerman struggling to remove one of the 10-45s from the second floor. LT. Damato instructed his control firefighter, James Terry, who was detailed from Ladder Co. 158 to assist FF. Ackerman with the removal. LT. Damato returned to his nozzle team, and since the fire was knocked down, had FF. Ware and FF. Christopher Armstrong, the backup firefighter, bring the hoseline to the base of the stairs to the second floor. The advancement was delayed because LT. Corrigan was in the process of removing a victim down the stairs. LT. Damato ordered FF. Armstrong to assist with the removal of the victim. Once the stairs were clear LT. Damato ascended the stairs on his hands and knees due to the high heat to assess the fire conditions before committing the line upstairs due to only having FF. Ware on the line. Engine Co. 302 decided to bring the hoseline to the second floor because there was fire on the second floor. A second hoseline was not available, and Ladder 155 was upstairs removing victims in difficult conditions without the protection of a hoseline. As LT. Damato reached the second floor, he saw FF. McManus having difficulty removing an unconscious victim who was caught in debris. The fire had extended from the front bedroom into the second floor hallway. LT. Damato assisted FF. McManus in freeing the victim so she could be removed down the stairs. Once the stairs were clear, FF. Ware started to aggressively advance the hoseline to the second floor by himself while FF. Cavalcante pushed the line in at the front door. When FF. Ware reached the second floor, FF. Armstrong and FF. Terry reentered the house and resumed their positions on the hoseline. The hoseline was then advanced on the second floor to extinguish the fire in the front room. Matt Wilkinson, the chauffeur of Ladder 155, completed a primary search of that room and then went to the attic to assess conditions and conduct a search. A short time later Battalion Chief Robert Bohack of Battalion 51 reported that heavy black smoke was issuing under pressure from the attic, and he ordered members out of the attic. LT. Damato informed BC Bohack that the engine would advance the hoseline into the attic to protect FF. Wilkinson and extinguish the fire. When the members reached the attic they were met with fire and high heat.
By now the members were physically exhausted, but they pushed on and found the energy to advance into the cluttered attic and put out another room of fire. Once the attic was extinguished, high heat remained because the exterior siding was still on fire. The nozzle team of Engine Co. 302 leaned out the window to extinguish the fire. At this time LT. Damato realized that the vibralerts of his members were going off. BC Bohack provided relief for Engine Co. 302 and they exited the building.
For acting in the highest tradition of the FDNY, with combined actions in extinguishing a heavy fire on multiple floors and rescuing three people from a private dwelling, the fire officers and members of Engine Co. 302 and Ladder Co. 155 are being honored tonight.

M-23.jpg

Queens Box 22-8897 Rundown:

0337 - E-302 - 10-75 the box. Fire on the 1st floor of a 2 1/2 story PD.

All Hands:
E-302, 275, 303, 308, 317 s/c
L-155, 133, 164 act. 158F, 126 s/c
B-51, 54
S-270
R-4
D-13
RAC-4

2nd Alarm:
E-298, 285, 314
L-158
B-50 FF, 39 RUL, 46 Safety
SB, RB, FC, FCB, Tac 2
E-324 w/ Sat. 4
E-263 Communications

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 - Queens Box 75-8884 11/5/18:

FDNY Medal Day 2019:

For the night tour of November 5, 2018, Lieutenant Emmett Daly assigned his members their positions, with FF Mark E. Ackerman assigned as the roof Firefighter. This is a challenging position with great responsibility and little did FF Ackerman know that in the upcoming hours, a man?s life was going be in his hands.  At 2330 hours, a Box came in reporting a fire in a private dwelling, just two blocks from quarters. As soon as Ladder 155 pulled onto the ramp, they could see the smoke. Engine 302, normally assigned first-due, currently was operating on another Box and Ladder 155 was responding without them. On arrival, heavy fire was visible on the first floor of a two-story, peaked roof, private dwelling and Lieutenant Daly transmitted the 10-75. Ladder 155 members would be operating with no engine company on-scene. Ladder 155?s inside team forced entry and attempted a search, but immediately was driven back by heavy fire. Simultaneously, Ladder 155?s LCC, FF Lawrence P. Rooney, Jr., was setting up the rig and noticed a victim at a second-floor window. He notified the Officer via handie-talkie. Heavy fire was venting from the front windows and began to auto-expose to the second floor, making entry from the front all but impossible. FF Ackerman, following his size-up and listening to the handie-talkie transmissions, quickly realized that the rear was going to be his best bet at making it inside to attempt a rescue. He notified Ladder 155?s OV, FF Harry Pfeiffer, to set up a portable ladder to the rear setback. FF Ackerman proceeded to force the rear door and began a search on the first floor. Encountering high heat and zero visibility and fully aware that no engine was on-scene, he knew that he had to make it to the second floor or the victim would perish.  While searching the first floor, FF Ackerman passed a door that was partially burned through, but continued his search and quickly found the interior stairs. Ascending the stairs, he was forced to his stomach, due to the intense heat. Reaching the top, he headed toward the direction of the reported victim. His persistence quickly paid off when he found a semi-conscious male victim. The victim was combative, which complicated his rescue. FF Ackerman?s experience as a veteran Firefighter, as well as a Marine, kicked in during these critical moments.  He began dragging the victim toward the stairs only to find them now consumed in fire. With conditions worsening, FF Pfeiffer, who was making entry via a portable ladder at the rear setback, began calling to FF Ackerman to guide him toward his location at a rear window. Using his body to shield the victim from the fire, FF Ackerman dragged the victim past the stairwell and continued another 40 feet until finally reaching FF Pfeiffer at the window and successfully removed the man. Within seconds, the entire second floor became consumed in fire. In following the long-standing traditions of the FDNY, FF Mark E. Ackerman acted bravely. Ignoring any danger to himself, he was able to search for, locate and successfully remove this victim. His actions saved this man?s life and today the Firefighter is being honored with the Steuben Association Medal.

Queens Box 75-8884 Rundown:

Address: 142-16 123rd Ave. off 142nd Pl.

Fire on the first floor of a 2 story 20x40 PD

Phone Alarm Box 8884 - Reporting fire in a PD at 142nd St. & 123rd Ave. - 23:31

TL-155: Transmit a 10-75 - Fire on the first floor. - 23:32

L-133 FAST

B-51: All Hands, heavy fire on the first floor, we have 1 10-45 no code from the 2nd floor, 2 L/S, 1 L/O, DWH - 23:37

D-13: Extra E&T. (E-285 & TL-142) - 23:42

D-13: 3 L/S, 2 L/O, MBFKD, primaries are negative throughout with the exception of the 10-45, special call an additional truck. (TL-127) - 23:55

D-13: PWH - 00:08

D-13: We have extensive overhaul, special call one additional truck. (TL-158) - 00:12

D-13: The 10-45 is a code 4. (mixer off) - 00:16

D-13: Make this a 10-41 code 1. (mixer off) - 00:20

D-13: Under Control. - 00:28

Duration: 58 min.

Maybe:
E-302, 303, 308, 275, 285 s/c
L-155, 126, 133F, 142 s/c, 127 s/c, 158 s/c
B-51, 50
R-4
SQ-270
D-13
RAC-4

Relocation:
E-273 to E-303
E-293 to E-308
L-136 to E-126
TL-124 to TL-142

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 LODDs:

FIREFIGHTER BERNARD TULLY ENGINE 302 April 17, 1957

LIEUTENANT VICTOR PROKOP LADDER 155 January 17, 1962

Lt. Victor Prokop - Ladder 155 - He died as a result of injuries sustained in the performance of his duties.

FIREFIGHTER GREGG J. MCLOUGHLIN ENGINE 302 January 4, 2001

FF Gregg McLoughlin died as a result of injuries sustained in the performance of his duties.

https://www.qchron.com/editions/south/south-ozone-park-firefighter-dies-from-workout-at-firehouse/article_afa97581-d74c-5c8a-9a9b-9a6347320ffd.html

LT CHRISTOPHER RAGUSO ENGINE 302 March 15, 2018

Lt. Christopher Raguso died March 15, 2018 in military service during Operation Inherent Resolve when an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter crashed in western Iraq.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/03/16/firefighter-killed-in-iraq-helicopter-crash/

https://nypost.com/2018/05/27/long-island-widow-remembers-hero-husband-killed-in-iraq-for-memorial-day/
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188077464/christopher-joseph-raguso

RIP.  Never forget.

mack

Administrator

Lt. Christopher Raguso Engine 302 FDNY/Master Sergeant Christopher Raguso 101st Rescue Squadron, 106th Rescue Wing - LODD:

Master Sgt. Christopher Raguso died March 15, 2018 serving During Operation Inherent Resolve when an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter crashed in western Iraq. Raguso was assigned to the 101st Rescue Squadron, 106th Rescue Wing, New York National Guard.
He previously deployed to Iraq as a fire protection specialist with the 106th Civil Engineering Squadron, twice to Afghanistan with the 101st, once to the Horn of Africa, and to Texas and the Caribbean for hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

RAGUSO-11.jpg

raguso-png.jpg

raguso-two-pix.jpg

r-20.jpg

VLLXNIOWSFACHIYFRWQVA5-LM3-U.jpg

r45.jpg

Find A Grave Memorial MSGT Christopher Joseph Raguso

Birth 14 Mar 1979 Suffolk County, New York, USA
Death 15 Mar 2018 (aged 39) Anbar, Iraq

Lt Christopher Joseph Raguso, FDNY, was the consummate first-responder who dedicated his life to helping others. Whether leading a squad of firefighters into a burning building, chasing a hurricane in Texas or Puerto Rico, or flying fearlessly into harm?s way to rescue a wounded soldier, sailor, airman or marine, service to his community and his country were the unshakeable building blocks during his 20-year professional career. He was born to be a member of FDNY, of this there is no doubt. This goal was his singular mission from the age of 19 and was the fire that consumed him from within?to be a part of this tight-knit brotherhood of blue that was bigger than anything he could accomplish as an individual.

While we are totally devastated by his untimely loss as a son, father, husband and community leader, we are comforted somewhat in the knowledge that when he made the ultimate sacrifice, he was serving others by doing the things that he was born to do, that he was trained to do, that he loved to do and that ultimately, he gave his life to do. It is our job to keep his memory of accomplishments alive with his young girls and let them never forget that their dad loved them beyond words and was a true American hero. Duty, honor and courage...these were the hallmarks of Christopher-J, and may his memory never fade.

101st Rescue Squadron Mission:

The primary mission of the HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopter is to conduct day or night personnel recovery operations into hostile environments to recover isolated personnel during war. The HH-60G is also tasked to perform military operations other than war, including civil search and rescue, medical evacuation, disaster response, humanitarian assistance, security cooperation/aviation advisory, NASA space flight support, and rescue command and control.

R-10.png

https://www.106rqw.ang.af.mil/About-Us/

Master Sgt. Chris Raguso died in a helicopter crash in Iraq. Here?s why his father thinks he didn?t die in vain:

https://www.militaryq.com/2018/12/2...s-why-his-father-thinks-he-didnt-die-in-vain/

Senator Flanagan Announces New Law Renaming Highway In Honor Of Lt. Christopher J. Raguso

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/p...n-announces-new-law-renaming-highway-honor-lt

61-Fts-SFYC8-L-AC-UX385.jpg

106.png

LOGO-1.jpg

fdny.png

R-14.jpg

RIP. Never forget.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155 members:

mack

Administrator

Engine 302/Ladder 155:

Jamaica 1873:   

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/1873_Beers_Map_of_Jamaica%2C_Queens%2C_New_York_City_-_Geographicus_-_Jamaica-beers-1873.jpg

South Jamaica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Jamaica,_Queens
South Jamaica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Jamaica,_Queens

Rochdale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale,_Queens

S. Ozone Park neighborhood: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ozone_Park,_Queens

mack

Administrator
Please let me know if there is anything posted that is incorrect, incomplete or private and I will correct. 

Everyone is encouraged to add any additional comments or companies or stories.  This is an open thread.

Also, if anyone wants a particular company or firehouse, please let me know.  The units covered are in random order or by request.  Just send me a message.

^^^^ Welcome back Joe ....Thank You for your continuing EXCELLENT contributions.

Indeed, welcome back Mack! You put a lot of time and effort sharing historical info, it is much appreciated.

Bronx South Division

Unlike most other FDNY units which generally remain in the same area, Divisions have been renumbered on several occasions, appearing to have moved in the process. In fact, the same basic ten geographic divisions have been relatively constant historically, only changing their numeric identity.

Division 6 has been located in every borough except Queens. The Division covering the South Bronx has been numbered 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 at different times over its history.

The original Division numbering plan was for three Manhattan divisions, 1 through 3, numbered from south to north. Bronx would be Division 4. Brooklyn had Division 6, 7, 8, Brooklyn & Queens had Division 9, and Staten Island had 10 (changed from 6).

Then Division 4 moved south into Manhattan and the South Bronx became Division 5.

When Division 5 moved south into Manhattan, the South Bronx became Division 6.

Later Division 6 moved into north Manhattan and the South Bronx became Division 7.

When an additional division was organized in the Bronx, Division 7 covered North Bronx and Division 6 was re-established for the South Bronx (from Division 2 which was disbanded at the same time).

The South Bronx Division was also numbered 3 in the mid 1990's.

Over the years, the South Bronx Division was mostly quartered in Engine 71's firehouses (both of them).

Division 4 Bronx

Division 4 Organized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1902 with Engine 71
Division 4 Renumbered as Division 5 1903

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=50639.855

Division 5 Bronx

Division 5 Organized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1904 with Engine 71, former Division 4
Division 5 Renumbered as Division 6 1906

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,50639.1275.html

Division 6 Bronx

Division 6 Reorganized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1906 with Engine 71, former Division 5
Division 6 Renumbered as Division 7 1907

Division 7 Bronx

Division 7 Reorganized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1907 with Engine 71, former Division 6
Division 7 Temporary 1213-1215 Intervale Ave, Bronx 1948 with Engine 82
Division 7 Relocated 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1949 with Engine 71
Division 7 Relocated 1213-1215 Intervale Ave, Bronx 1951 with Engine 82
Division 7 Renumbered as Division 6 1956

Division 6 Bronx South

Division 6 Reorganized 491 E 166th St, Bronx 1956 with Engine 50, former Division 7, from Division 2
Division 6 New Station 1155 Washington Ave, Bronx 1976 with Engine 50
Division 6 Relocated 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1991 with Engine 71
Division 6 Renumbered as Division 3 1995

Division 3 Bronx South

Division 3 Reorganized 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1995 with Engine 71, former Division 6
Division 3 Renumbered as Division 6 1995

Division 6 Bronx South

Division 6 Reorganized 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1995 with Engine 71, former Division 3

Division 3 Bronx South

Division 3 Reorganized 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1995 with Engine 71, former Division 6
Division 3 Renumbered as Division 6 1997

Division 6 Bronx South

Division 6 Reorganized 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1997 with Engine 71, former Division 3

Last edited:
fdhistorian said:
Bronx South Division

Unlike most other FDNY units which generally remain in the same area, Divisions have been renumbered on several occasions, appearing to have moved in the process. In fact, the same basic ten geographic divisions have been relatively constant historically, only changing their numeric identity.

Division 6 has been located in every borough except Queens. The Division covering the South Bronx has been numbered 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 at different times over its history.

The original Division numbering plan was for three Manhattan divisions, 1 through 3, numbered from south to north. Bronx would be Division 4. Brooklyn had Division 6, 7, 8, Brooklyn & Queens had Division 9, and Staten Island had 10 (changed from 6).

Then Division 4 moved south into Manhattan and the South Bronx became Division 5.

When Division 5 moved south into Manhattan, the South Bronx became Division 6.

Later Division 6 moved into north Manhattan and the South Bronx became Division 7.

When an additional division was organized in the Bronx, Division 7 covered North Bronx and Division 6 was re-established for the South Bronx (from Division 2 which was disbanded at the same time).

The South Bronx Division was also numbered 3 in the mid 1990's.

Over the years, the South Bronx Division was mostly quartered in Engine 71's firehouses (both of them).

Division 4 Bronx

Division 4 Organized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1902 with Engine 71
Division 4 Renumbered as Division 5 1903

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=50639.855

Division 5 Bronx

Division 5 Organized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1904 with Engine 71, former Division 4
Division 5 Renumbered as Division 6 1906

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,50639.1275.html

Division 6 Bronx

Division 6 Reorganized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1906 with Engine 71, former Division 5
Division 6 Renumbered as Division 7 1907

Division 7 Bronx

Division 7 Reorganized 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1907 with Engine 71, former Division 6
Division 7 Temporary 1213-1215 Intervale Ave, Bronx 1948 with Engine 82
Division 7 Relocated 3134 Park Ave, Bronx 1949 with Engine 71
Division 7 Relocated 1213-1215 Intervale Ave, Bronx 1951 with Engine 82
Division 7 Renumbered as Division 6 1956

Division 6 Bronx South

Division 6 Reorganized 491 E 166th St, Bronx 1956 with Engine 50, former Division 7, from Division 2
Division 6 New Station 1155 Washington Ave, Bronx 1976 with Engine 50
Division 6 Relocated 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1991 with Engine 71

Division 3 Bronx South

Division 3 Renumbered as Division 6 1995

Division 6 Bronx South

Division 6 Reorganized 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1995 with Engine 71, former Division 3

Division 3 Bronx South

Division 3 Renumbered as Division 6 1997

Division 6 Bronx South

Division 6 Reorganized 720 Melrose Ave, Bronx 1997 with Engine 71, former Division 3

Battalions in Bronx South Division 6 (4) (5) (7) (3)*

Division 4 Bronx

Battalion 13 1902 - 1903
Battalion 14 1902 - 1903
Battalion 15 1902 - 1903

Division 5 Bronx

Battalion 14 1904 - 1906
Battalion 15 1904 - 1906
Battalion 17 1904 - 1906
Battalion 18 1904 - 1906

Division 6 Bronx

Battalion 14 1906 - 1907, 1956 - 1995, 1997 -
Battalion 15 1906 - 1907
Battalion 17 1906 - 1907, 1956 - 1969, 1979 - 1995, 1997 -
Battalion 18 1906 - 1907
Battalion 20 1906 - 1907

Division 7 Bronx

Battalion 14 1907 - 1941, 1948 - 1950
Battalion 15 1907 - 1947, 1951 - 1956
Battalion 17 1907 - 1956
Battalion 18 1907 - 1956
Battalion 20 1907 - 1949, 1951 - 1956
Battalion 26 1908 - 1909
Battalion 19 1930 - 1941

Division 6 Bronx South

Battalion 3 1956 - 1968
Battalion 14 1956 - 1970
Battalion 17 1956 - 1969
Battalion 26 1969 - 1995, 1997 -
Battalion 27 1969 - 1979
Battalion 55 1969 - 1988

Division 6 Brooklyn Downtown

Battalion 28 1995 - 1997
Battalion 31 1995 - 1997
Battalion 32 1995 - 1997
Battalion 35 1995 - 1997
Battalion 48 1995 - 1997
Battalion 57 1995 - 1997

*Note for reference. Before the Bronx had its own division, Bronx battalions were part of Division 3 Manhattan North. Battalions 10 and 13 were Bronx battalions.

Division 3 Manhattan North & Bronx

Battalion 10 1874 - 1897
Battalion 14 1896 - 1902
Battalion 13 1897 - 1898
Battalion 15 1898 - 1902

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
Engine 28/Ladder 11 firehouse 222 East 2nd Street, East Village, Manhattan  1st Division, 4th Battalion "Los Bomberos Primero"                                                                                    (Note: Thanks to FF (Ret) Donnie Shields for inputs)

Engine 28 organized 604 East 11th Street former volunteer Forest Engine 3 quarters      1865
    Engine 28 moved 735 East 11th Street                                                                        1879
    Engine 28 new firehouse 604 East 11th Street                                                              1880
    Engine 28 new firehouse 222 East 2nd Street w/Ladder 11                                            1959

Engine 28-2 organized 604 East 11th Street at Engine 28                                              1889
    Engine 28-2 disbanded                                                                                                1900

Ladder 11 organized 742 East 5th Street former volunteer Mechanics Hose 47 firehouse  1865
    Ladder 11 moved 342 East 5th Street at Engine 25                                                        1883
    Ladder 11 new firehouse 742 East 5th Street                                                                1883
    Ladder 11 new firehouse 222 East 2nd Street w/Engine 28                                            1959

Pre-FDNY:

Lower East Side volunteer companies included:

Forrest Engine 3 - 604 E 11th Street - initial quarters for FDNY Engine 28

Members fought with Ellsworth's First and Second Fire Zouaves during the Civil War.  Members KIA included John Gleeson and James Hurley (Battle of Bull Run)

Mechanics Hose 47 - 742 E 5th Street - initial quarters for FDNY Ladder 11

Jefferson Engine 2 - 342 E 5th Street - quarters for FDNY Engine 25 (disbanded 1947)

FDNY - Paid NYC department - Metropolitan Fire Department:

Metropolitan Engine 28 organized October 20, 1865

Members:  Foreman - William Donnelly; Asst. Foreman - Hugh Lindsey; Engineer - Edward Minton; Stoker - Henry Peters; Driver - Charles Shardon; Firemen - Joseph Malloy, John Carpenter, James Flood, Patrick Kennedy, Patrick Costello, Patrick Flynn, Richard Delaney.

Apparatus:  hand engine

Metropolitan Hook & Ladder 11 organized October 27, 1865

Members: Foreman - Christopher Reynolds; Asst. Foreman - Morris Roberts; Driver - Thomas Beebe; Firemen - Thomas Dillon, Thomas Riley, Alfred Hendrickson, Edward Russell, Peter Vetter, Willian Quigg, John Anckner, Thomas Schiell.

Apparatus:  C.E. Hartshorn ladder truck built 1860; horse pulled 

mack

Administrator
Engine 28/Ladder 11 (continued)

604 East 11th Street - Engine 28 and Engine 28-2 quarters 1880-1959:                                                           

342 East 5th Street - Ladder 11 quarters at Engine 25 1883 (Note: FDNY Engine 25 operated 1865-1947): 

742 East 5th Street - Ladder 11 quarters 1883-1959:                                                           

mack

Administrator

222 East 2nd Street - Engine 28/Ladder 11 quarters 1959-present:

1976 Door:

mack

Administrator

Engine 28:

Ladder 11:

Engine 28/Ladder 11: