FDNY Chief Officer Cars and Vehicles

Not the greatest picture or the clearest image, BUT:

-  It's obviously a 1953 Ford

-  According to Doug Marra, it's BN46, with E287 and L136 behind it.

-  And according to the G-Man, E287 was running with their 1939 Ward LaFrance 1000gpm pumper but L136 was actually using L154's 1953 ALF 85ft. metal aerial instead of their own 1955 FWD 75ft. wooden stick.

1973 Plymouth. FDNY Car 71 . . . Satellite Officer. Quartered with (and sitting next to) the Super Pumper at Tillery & Gold Streets, Brooklyn. Larry Ford (LAFD) photo.

1939(ish) Ford, FDNY plate 467 (probably a Battalion Chief) in lower left. Photo credit WNYF magazine April 1948.

There are a few Mack's and Ward LaFrance rigs in that photo. Can't figure out the rest. Nice photo, thanks Ray.

Guess what showed up today on Facebook:

Let's ask Willy what it is, and when/where it was taken . . .

raybrag said:
Guess what showed up today on Facebook:

Let's ask Willy what it is, and when/where it was taken . . .

Yes, that's an original "NFD 2004" photo that was taken many years ago at The Rock.

The only thing about it is that I think that was when the FDNY was going from all red vehicles to the white over red.

Back then, The Rock was the "perfect place" to get FDNY photos

[/quote]

;) it sure was a great meeting place, too!

JohnnyGage said:

;) it sure was a great meeting place, too!
[/quote]

Yes my friends, Johnny is right. In fact that was where I actually got to meet Mr Johnny Gage, (back then he told me his name was Dan, though).

Somewhere out there exist a photo of a guy by the name of Johnny Gage, as the chaffer of then, a brand new FDNY Ladder 5.

Who would believe then, probably 20 plus years later, that we would be reading his stories about those "Glory Days", now with over 145,000 views, and following the "Vintage FDNY War Lids", with another 192,000 plus views.

Maybe someday we can all get to read about the day, when Mr Johnny Gage was the chaffer of that shiny new hook and ladder truck # 5, and a young fire buff wanted to take a picture of it. I remember after taking a half dozen pictures or so of it, he invited me down to visit at the firehouse. I didn't go down there because I knew how tough it was trying to drive into all that Manhattan traffic. Now, I wish I did.

But anyway, as it turned out, a few decades later Mr Johnny Gage has joined us here and Johnny and I are good friends. All because of a guy who was driving a ladder truck took the time to park it just in the right place and make a FDNY buffs day.

So THANK YOU Mr Gage, (I know you told me just to call you Johnny though). But THANK YOU for all you did for me that day.
Thank you for the nice collector cups you presented to many of us in honor of those Glory Days.
Thank you for the special collectors cup you gave to me also.
Thank you for all your GREAT Stories and pictures you put up here for all of us to enjoy.

I hope that Santa Clause (No it's NOT "mikeindabronx", although he has fooled many, including myself) is good to you.

I may be getting a little off track here, but Thanksgiving Day will very soon be here. I know that "I" have a lot to be THANKFUL for, including the many great people I have gotten to meet here on this web site. 

nfd2004 said:
I may be getting a little off track here, but Thanksgiving Day will very soon be here. I know that "I" have a lot to be THANKFUL for, including the many great people I have gotten to meet here on this web site.

Amen, Sir William of Dennis.

raybrag said:
nfd2004 said:

Among other things that I am blessed and thankful for, I am blessed and thankful to "know" all of you here and the opportunities to "chat" with you on various subjects. God Bless you all and keep you safe.

memory master said:
raybrag said:
nfd2004 said:

Among other things that I am blessed and thankful for, I am blessed and thankful to "know" all of you here and the opportunities to "chat" with you on various subjects. God Bless you all and keep you safe.

Well I have to agree with all! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

And the hits just keep'a comin' . . .  1965 Ford Custom on JAN 8, 1971: 2-2 2078 BATHGATE AVE near E 181st ST BX, NY-SATELLITE2?S 1695 MACK HOSE WAGON, TOWER LADDER 44?S 1969 MACK & E 46?S 1968 MACK.

Thanx to Wesley Pearman for his photo . . . found on Facebook. Anybody know who had plate #986?

FDNY Supervising Engineers Unit 1 1957 Plymouth. Courtesy Jerry Fischer, from the Fred R. Kern, Jr. collection.