Seagrave Marauder II Pumpers

Additional information from REDLIGHT:

"The oldest regular FDNY pumpers in first line service are twenty-three 2002 Seagrave 1000 gpm pumpers assigned to companies, plus one additional 2002 at training. In addition there are two 2001 Seagrave and two 2002 Seagrave 1000 gpm high-pressure pumpers, plus three 2000, one 2001 and two 2002 Seagrave 1000 gpm rescue-pumpers (Squads) still in first line service. These high-pressure pumpers and squads, as well as three later Ferrara 1000 gpm high-pressure pumpers and a later Seagrave 1000 gpm squad will be replaced by pending contracts from Seagrave."

Bulldog

Bulldog
Interesting that they're going back to Seagraves for the HP engines.  That was the first major inroad that Ferrara made into FDNY.  Those engines aren't really do for replacement yet.  Wonder if they change back to Seagraves is just because of a low bid or if there is some other reason.

Bulldog said:
Interesting that they're going back to Seagraves for the HP engines.  That was the first major inroad that Ferrara made into FDNY.  Those engines aren't really do for replacement yet.  Wonder if they change back to Seagraves is just because of a low bid or if there is some other reason.

Those Ferrara's will probably be due for replacement by the time the new rigs are in.  As for who makes it?  All that matters is the price.  If you have a lower price and meet the spec, the contract is yours.

According to Jack Lerch, in FAJ, specs were being completed for a three year contract for 2000 GPM pumpers which will replace all of the 2002. 2003, and 2004 1000 GPM pumpers amounting to about 91 units.

kfd274 said:
According to Jack Lerch, in FAJ, specs were being completed for a three year contract for 2000 GPM pumpers which will replace all of the 2002. 2003, and 2004 1000 GPM pumpers amounting to about 91 units.

Has anyone heard anything on the new order for the new Seagrave Marauders?

kfd274 said:
kfd274 said:

Has anyone heard anything on the new order for the new Seagrave Marauders?

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,14475.0.html

Looks like KME was the low bidder, with Seagrave coming in 3rd.  Ferrara had the middle bid apparently.  I get a feeling KME will get the order, so long as they are able to meet the warranty specs of the bid, which from the thread replies, appears that they are working on.

KME engines and Ferrara ladders...never thought I'd see that day...

I would think that if KME gets the order, then the Department will be dealing with three different vendors.  Then you have to train folks on three different apparatus, store another whole inventory of parts and so on.  I would think they would want to try to work out the learning curve and issues with all the Ferraras first.

kfd274 said:
I would think that if KME gets the order, then the Department will be dealing with three different vendors.  Then you have to train folks on three different apparatus, store another whole inventory of parts and so on.  I would think they would want to try to work out the learning curve and issues with all the Ferraras first.

Just my uninformed opinion, i agree with what you say kfd. All the reputation of KME aside, if the dept was to go with a third manufacturer for a large supply of apparatus, surely it would be a logistical nightmare for the dept if not a logistical disaster!!!

JT

I really hope that personnal opinions/preferences are taken into consideration.

what was the feeling when ALF outbid Mack for the engine orders. Hell FDNY was a Macl haven, who does ALF think biddng on our apparatus. Boston went to E-One with rear mounts after years of tillers. Philadelphia has had KME's, their only problem is civilians running into their rigs. CFD has purchased KME rigs, had no problems from the companies. Changes happen, remember when planes had propellers, and then two jet engines, then three, and now four. Just making a post guys. :) :)

kfd274 said:

You need to remember, if it meets the city's spec than they won't need too many different parts.  It'll have the same engine, the same transmission, the same pumps, the same lighting package the same kind of fuses the same kind of brakes, tires and so on.  The cab layout, hose bed layout and compartment layout must also be the same.  Look at the Ferrara engines; at a quick glance, they don't look so different.

Whoever rolls out the sheet metal matters little.  They'll all have the same parts, just a different name plate on the front.

For many years in the past the FDNY had different types of rigs......... Seagrave ..Mack ..WLF...ALF.. etc.......... only in recent years have they started to make them mostly all from  the same manufacture........i do not know if that is good or bad.

As an outsider, one would assume that the rear body,(hose bed lockers etc) would be the same whether its a ferrara seagrave or kme or a ford mustang (67 Mustang!!! Oh yerrr...).

The cab section i assume would be of the same fdny specs, same seating and gear stowage, look visualy the same from the outside maybe witha couple of manufacturers quirks here and there, and have the same pump and drive system, same PTO and pump operating electrics and system, with a same chassis set up to take the fdny spec body across all the manufacturers, the only difference for the laymen will be a different grill and badge on it.

The difference comes in the quality of how the chassis is welded together and the quality of the metals used and nuts and bolts, and springs used,and the quality of the parts that each individual manufacturer uses.

Its the guys who have to ride around in these machines and in particular the drivers who ride around in them, and then operate them at jobs that will be the true judges and executioners of the finnished products.

JT

Has anyone seen E23 recntly? I caught a quick glimpse of their truck as it flew by me and it looked all done up again. Golf lettering, diamond plating, and everything.