The Other War Years

johnd-He probably meant 114... I look at those pics and I feel like I'm a kid again. Providence got their first CF's around 68/69 replacing the the 1950's era American La Frances. They got a Mack CF/Maxim tiller at Ladder 2 in 1971 which ran there until they got the Tower and was subsequently reassigned to Ladder 3 which ran it until 1996. In 1974 they took delivery of 5 Mack/CF pumpers assigned to Engines 2,6,8,11,14. Engine 8's rig ran as reserve Engine 17 until 2004. The others ran as reserves and were phased out in the early 1990's as a large apparatus replacement program was put in. In 1979 the city started purchasing new apparatus to replace the aging fleet and they purchased 6 Maxim pumpers, 3 Maxim 100' tillers and Special Hazards which was a 1981 Mack R/Ranger. In 1987 the city again purchased 5 Mack CF/Ranger pumpers assigned to Engines 2,3,10,11,14. In 1991 the city purchased Engine 8 which was also a Mack CF/Ranger as well as one of the last CF cab and chassis produced. In 1990 the city began purchasing E-Ones. E-7 and E-13 are 1990. In 1992 it was E-6 and E-12. In 1994 E-4 and E-5. In 1991 they started phasing out the tillers by replacing Ladder 6 with a 1991 E-One 110' rear mount. Ladder 8 is a 93, Ladder 5 is a 94. Ladder 3 is a 97, Ladder 7 is a 98. Ladder 4 ran a 1981 Maxim 100' tiller until 1998 when it was replaced by Ladder 7's 1983 rig which was reserve Ladder 10 then renumbered. In 2005 the received a Pierce 100' rear mount. One of the pumpers purchased in 1979 was the old Engine 7 which was a Maxim/Continental with 55' tele squirt. this apparatus was a problem from day one and was disposed of around 1987/88. In 1999 Providence began to again buy new apparatus. this time they went with Pierce. Engine 9 and 15 are 99's, Engines 3 and 10 are 2000's and Engines 2 and 14 are 2002's. They had not purchased a new pumper until last year when they bought 2 E-Ones for Engines 8 and 11. The Special Hazards originated in 1981 as a tandem company of Engine 1 and the heavy rescue. In 1992 when both were up for replacement they decided to run a dedicated heavy rescue and bought a 1992 Pemfab/Ranger and eliminated the pumper. That was replaced in 2004 with a Pierce.

Sean ("Puffy"), it might be a little bit before your Providence buffing days, but do you remember when Ladders 2 and 5 were  Mack CF cab tillers. They were some great looking rigs and that Ladder 5 was the first rig I followed into a job in Providence, my first visit there. Also, did you know that before that Squirt went to Engine 7, it served as Engine 3 out of headquarters.
  And those pictures are great there Mack of the Providence rigs. I took in a run one time in the front seat of Special Hazards. At that time they ran as a second piece with Engine 1. So it only had the driver. I was at the firehouse when a run came in for Dexter Manor on Broad St. The Lt at the time (Rich Desuso) told me to climb in the front seat. My other buddy, Ray Vernon was also a Lt on Engine 3 at the same firehouse. Both Great guys and Providence War Year Firefighters, now enjoying their retirement.
  I do have more stories to write on the Providence and Bridgeport War years. I also have many rig shots from those years on disk. I would like to share them on here, but I don't know how to post them. "Mack" or "Puffy", if you would be interested in posting them, send me a message with your address, and I'll mail the disk off to you.

My brother and I are both retired firefighters. He did his time in Bridgeport, and I did my time in Norwich, Ct. Of course therewas always that "competition thing". There still is, but there is also an unspoken respect between us.
  I was attending the New Haven Fire Academy for a weekend class and decided to stay in Bridgeport at my parents house for that Saturday Night. Besides, I figured I could do a little buffing of the Bridgeport Brothers. At the time, my brother was a Lt on Squad 5 (now called Rescue 5). It was the only Heavy Rescue in the City and my "fearless" brother was working it that night. They respond to every working fire and pin job in the city. And anything else that required a full assignment. That was some night. I don't know if he remembers it, But I sure do !!!!
  I sure didn't get much sleep that night. I don't know how I ever got through that class the next day. That night, Squad 5 made eleven runs, Four of which were working fires. They were all good jobs. Their job was to leave the scene once the fire was under control. It was the place to be if you wanted the action. It still is.
  He caught Four Working Fires that night. I actually forget where the first three were. The last one was a fire in a very large 2 1/2 frame Queen Anne. Fire also got into one of the exposures. Three working fires before that, besides the other seven runs. It was a working outfit nicknamed "The War Wagon"  (Continued)

(Continued)....As the sun rose the next morning, I had to get ready to go to class. But I sure was dragging from chasing those fires all night. I made a quick stop down to the firehouse that morning. Squad 5 was just backing into quarters from another run. I remember seeing those guys. Their eyes were all blood shot, and their faces were covered with dirty black sweat. Their gear was covered with soot and fresh plaster. For anybody who wanted to see what a group of Ghetto Firefighters looked like after a night shift, "they displayed a perfect example".
 As I turned to leave the firehouse that morning, one of those guys said to me "Hang around Red (thats what he called me) we got time for one more". As I was leaving I heard on the scanner in my car, "Engine 6 and Squad 5 respond to Boston and Mill Hill Ave, report of a car accident with rescue" (pin job). Sure enough, Squad 5 put their hurst tool to work for a car into a pole. That was Squad 5s eleventh and final run for the night.
 A pretty average night for the members of Bridgeport's Squad 5 during those Busy War Years. Six runs, a pin job, and Four Working Fires.  

For me in the 1970s or 80s, whether it was FDNY, Bridgeport, Providence or Boston, I always saw work. There was no bunker gear, only the officer had a portable radio (except maybe FDNY at the time), No air conditioned rigs, even maybe a few open cab rigs. Except for Providence, the other cities weren't responding to medical calls unless there was a special reason, like entrapment etc. There were no FAST or RIT Companies coming in. RAC Units or Rehab Units weren't quite heard of in those days. It was a little later that Providence was able to get its Canteen Unit manned by a group of Buffs/Volunteers. FDNY had gotten two large Rehab Units maybe in the 80s, before the RAC units of today.
  Bridgeport got its 5 inch hose, but before that its supply line was one three inch, and just before that it was a 2 1/2 inch supply line. It was a major step forward when hose beds got split using a sheet of plywood installed by the members themselves. Now they would be able to drop two lines from a hydrant. And you'd see the guys riding the back step of the rig.
  There were few if any rearmount ladders. Most were midship or tillers. FDNY was one of the first to start using rearmount Aerial Ladders, then a few other cities started to follow. Bridgeport had bought two (?) American LaFrance Rearmounts in the late 70s. As "Puffy" said, Providence got its first E-One Rearmount in 1991. I think Boston started getting theirs around the same time.
  Air packs became more visible as firefighters used them more often. But most of these War Years Firefighters fought those many fires Without Air packs. Today, I wonder how they did it.
  For two decades, the 70s and 80s, I don't think I ever made a trip to FDNY, Providence, Bridgeport, or Boston without catching at least One fire. And sometimes I'd be heading home from buffing the FDNY and catch a job going through Bridgeport or New Haven on I-95.

July, 2010 my brother and I attended the LODD funeral for Bridgeport Fire Lt Steven Velasquez and F.F. Michel Baik. My brother George is a retired member from the Bridgeport Fire Dept. He never worked with F.F. Baik but worked several years with Lt Velasquez in the same firehouse. According to my brother George, Lt Velasquez was an Excellent Firefighter.
 My brother and I stood outside close to the entrance to the church as the line of Bridgeport Firefighters marched in. There were very few members that I recognized from my younger days of chasing those Bridgeport War Years fires. But I saw my friend Paul Wormsley. Paul caught his share of the work, although he'd never say so. He was an FDNY Auxiliary Firefighter with Queens Engine 308 before joining the Bridgeport F.D.
  I also saw and talked with a few Retired Members.  Joe Whyte, Bill Bernhard, and Bill Fitzgerald. All second generation Bridgeport Firefighters and All Bridgeport War Years Firefighters. There were several other retired members standing across from me. As my brother walked over to those old, white haired, retired Bridgeport Brothers, they shook hands and gave hugs. Some had walking canes, and some just had trouble walking. Some I knew by name, and some I couldn't remember their name. But I remember their faces, all dirty and sweaty when they fought those many fires. That was in Bridgeport during the Busiest time in that Fire Dept History.
 As I walked over, they weren't talking about the fires. It was almost a kind of Brotherhood that perhaps only could be felt by those who fought those Tough fires, during that most Historic time. These guys really were Bridgeport's Greatest Generation of Firefighters, and they were there to pay their respect to the two latest Heros of Bridgeport's Bravest.

In the years past, Detroit and Camden, N.J. had their "Devils Night". It was on October 30th every year, on the night before Halloween. Those nights promised to catch numerous working fires. Guys that were into the job, loved working those nights. When it got dark, after 6 PM or so the action would start. Mutual aid companies would come in to help. I made the trip to Detroit on one year, then went to Camden the next. I still have those Firehouse Magazines articles somewhere in my collection that told the story. Today Detroit is dealing with an Arson problem similiar to the FDNYs Busy Years.
  The Fourth of July was another busy time back then. For me, the choice was either NYC or Providence, R.I. From what I hear, other cities were also very busy then too. But you could plan on buffing these cities and catch plenty of working fires. And because of the high activity, even miss some of those jobs. In Providence and NYC the night before was busy too.
  October 30th and July 4th were no doubt the busiest days/nights for many depts. Today, for most of these depts, it is more routine. Back then, plans were made, hotels were booked, and buffs from across the country made those trips to see more fire activity in one night, than some saw in almost an entire year.

:(I understand the Detroit and Camden Fire nights. All the buffs would congregate to see all the action. But how do you feel about the guys on the back step busting their ass (and lives) so you could photograph this stupidity. Do not get me wrong I have over a dozen pixs in Firehouse HotShots and I always tried to shoew the members in the best possible light. I have been invited to Detroit but my personnal feeling was we were putting gas on the fire. Am I right or wrong???? ??? :(

Grump, I can't speak for everybody. Certainly there were some buffs that were of questionable character. But for myself, I was on a career dept myself. As bad as it is for anybody to have a fire, I enjoyed doing my job. I certainly didn't want to see anybody get hurt, civilian or firefighter. I have many friends that are also on the job today, and like to do what they've been taught to do.
  There are many guys on the job that would gladly want to work those busy nights. I was told by a few that they wouldn't give that up for anything. I hear guys talking all the time about how they miss those busy times.
  As for some of the buffs I've seen out there, I like to stay away from them as far as I possibly can. But I would say generally speaking most buffs are Great Friends to the Firefighters they admire. I think many of those firefighters understand that. And in my own case, I have buffed cities for about Four Decades. I've never had any problems with ANY Firefighters and in fact I have gained many friends who are those firefighters. Also, most of the buffs I hung around with all went on the job themselves. Many have already retired. But they got their start from chasing fires.

In NYC in the 70s & 80s July 4 th & New Years Eve were the hot nights to be working......Halloween was never too big here....i remember in the early 60s before i was on the JOB....Election night in Red Hook BKLYN was really big.....the older NY tradition of Election night bonfires still carried on in that neighborhood ....always some communication to occupieds & definately some torching of vacants......LAD*101 & ENG*202 would have 3 sections each & LAD*131 & ENG*279 would have 2 each .....101 & 202 s quarters was a madhouse .....the 2nd & 3rd sections used Reserve rigs & were manned with details from around the City....if you showed up with Auxilliary gear you could respond on the side of the old wooden aerial no questions asked ....same on the fireground ...nobody really knew who was who & you could go to work too. 

To All,

I finally got the time to read all your stories. All I can say is what a tradition of buffing and a wealth of history. It's sad to think buffs and auxiliaries are slowly fading from the scene.
Thanks to all for keeping the "good old days" in your memories and in this forum.

1261truckie (aka Jim Boyle - retired firefighter & former Auxiliary FDNY L-132)

It was probadly around 1970 or so and Bridgeport, Cts workload for the fire dept was just starting to pick up. At that time we lived in the North End and had a great view of the city from my brothers (now retired BFD Chief) bedroom window. On the scanner we heard a job come in for the Old Lincoln School on Bridgeports East End. It was a large 3 1/2 story brick built maybe in the late 1800s. My brother looked out the window and said; "lets go, I can see the flames in the sky". So we grabbed our portable (crystal controlled) scanner and headed to the fire.
 It was a pretty windy night and most of the surrounding buildings were being evucated. Somebody came up to me and said "there's a blind man in a wheel chair that lives on the third floor, I think he is still up there". So I passed that word onto the Firefighters and sure enough, I see two members taking this guy down the back stairway in his wheel chair. I knew the two firemen and they put that blind wheel chair guy with me, because the neighborhood really wasn't that great. As we listened to the scanner, I explained to him what was going on and he seemed very interested. I told him that I wanted to get on the job and my father was a Bridgeport Fireman, but not working this fire.
 When the fire was out, the guys brought him back up to his apartment. Why a blind wheel chair guy lived on that third floor, I never could figure out. He said to me, "one of these days I'll have to get one of those scanners". He seemed to really enjoy listening to it.
 I told my father about the fire and the blind guy. The next day, my father said "I have an extra scanner and I'll give him it". So we went over to that guys apt to give him the scanner. The guy was so happy. It was Great and the guy sure loved it. I was sure proud of my father (who I called Smoke) that day. Of course I was always proud of him. Just something I'll always remember.
 You can read about "Smoke" on this site. Go to "Role Model" under "National".

Anyone follow Camden NJ's activity. I don't think their "other war years" have ever ended

vbcapt said:
Anyone follow Camden NJ's activity. I don't think their "other war years" have ever ended

Deano, I think you're right. Camden has been busy for years. There is a web site called www.phillyfirenews.com . On that site it lists the jobs for Camden, Philly and a lot of other cities in those parts. Pretty good site. And Camden is still catching it.

And good to see you on here Deano.

I'm sure that the City of Chicago had its share of War Years activity. Although I never did buff there. Here is a video of three trapped Chicago Firefighters. It was made in 1989 and gives an idea of what the Chicago Fire Dept faces.
Of course, there were no assigned FAST Co and Air Packs weren't used too often those 20 plus years ago. Looking at that today, I just wonder how these guys, and their other Brother Firefighters did it throughout the country. This is the way it was.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li34TzH3u-4

Last edited:
nfd2004 said:
Bridgeport's War Years.....
 Night after night the city would be covered in smoke. Usually travelers along I-95 got a pretty good view of the fires and what was going on. Sometimes State Police from Troop G would have to be posted along the highway to keep the traffic flowing and assist drivers going through the heavy smoke as BFD started knocking down the flames. It wasn't only the buffs and Firefighters that knew Bridgeport was burning. It was the Trucker's and regular travelers that knew too. They'd see it all the time.

In Bridgeport, if you travel along I-95 North between Exits 28 and 29 you will see a very large open space area to the right off the highway. There were once many 2 1/2 and 3 story frames there. A few stores and businesses too. It was once a thriving neighborhood. It is now a barron wasteland. Everything in that area was burned out during the Bridgeport War Years of the late 70s and 80s. To this day, Nothing has been built there, and for me, seeing that wasteland is just a reminder of how busy Bridgeports Greatest Firefighters were back in those days.

NFD,

I moved into Fairfield in the summer of '76, on Villa Ave right near the town line. I began to buff BPT FD about a month before they moved out of the old HQS. I got to see E5 run form their old house up the hill on Madison Ave before they moved downtown. I believe E5 was closed a few years ago?

I worked as a bartender while in school and a bunch of the FF's would hang out there and they got me into buffing BPT. One was assigned to the dispatch office so he filled me in on how the Dept operated. I remember asking why E2, on Clarence street was so close to the HQS and he replied, "It ain't close if the bridge is up!"

My father was retired from the FDNY by then and he came up to visit me. He thought he was in a time warp. BPT was still running all the rigs he remembered in the Bronx in the 1950's, Mack L models and ALF open cab forwards. L's 3 and 6 were running with 1950's ALF tillers. I think L's 10 and 11 had just gotten the first rear mounts (Alf's). E12 had the old Mack City Service rig from the 1940's, which my old man remembered at L39 and City Island before WWII.

In the evening I would drive down Park Ave to Maplewood (E4), then down past Iranistan (the 3's), then circle over past HQS, E2, then down to E8, then up to Central Ave to the 6's. All great old firehouses. I had no scanner but usually would pick up a job en route. Seemed like every night they had a good worker, an OSW or an abandoned house or factory. It really was a mini Bronx at the time.

The response was 3 and 1 if I remember correctly, with additional companies special called as needed. No second or third alarms by pre assignment like FDNY.
And they were tough firefighters, holding some big jobs with a 5 and 2 or such. 

I loved those "flying stretches" by the second piece engine/Hose wagons, but it was really a waste of money. I believe when they finally eliminated the second piece in the 80's they were last department in the country still using that holdover from the steamer days. They cut their fuel budget almost in half by getting rid of them. Old Chief Gleason was stubborn about keeping them.
The biggest jobs I caught were the old train station and the big factory right up the street.

Great memories for me in Bridgeport.

Engine 5 did close a few years back, 3511.  By the by, I moved to Fairfield in 1973 and lived there until 1999.  My oldest son is a Lt. on the job in Fairfield; I was a volunteer there for many the entire time I was in town.