100' Ferrara Rear Mount Aerials

I was down in Rockaway on last Thurs 10-20-11 going to a LAD*108 annual reunion saw LAD*137 s new rig.

I agree with you 4 Truck, for the shops to take 6 months to put a new rig in service tells me something is not right with those trucks.

4 truck said:
we aren't too eger on getting our new rig....I'm going to miss our seagrave

Look on the bright side, when you get a spare it won't be one of those one's with the 4 rearward facing seats!  ::)

i think we have the oldest spare in the spare pool we a running with a 94 no windows and chinese water torture with a leaky roof like i said i want my seagrave back.  By what i am reading with these rigs we will be having a spare more times than not.  Our seagrave is an 01 and has with stood countless years of 4000 runs. I was reading someone elses post that said they do about 700 runs a year and there ferrara is oos a lot can imagine what is going to happen when someof the busier companies start using them.  I guess we will have to wait and see

4 Truck, My Ladder Company in the City of Pittsburgh is the one that runs about 700 runs per year. We did have a Ferrara rear mount ladder that we recieved in 2000! It was out of service more then it was in. The 4 Ferrara Ladders that the my Department had were replced in 2009 and the Ferrara ladders were taken off the roster and sold at auction. After 9 years these rigs were not even reliable enough to be used as spares. If that was the case in my Department I feel sorry for you guys. But as it was said give them a chance to see some action befor we judge.

116ff60 said:
4 Truck, My Ladder Company in the City of Pittsburgh is the one that runs about 700 runs per year. We did have a Ferrara rear mount ladder that we recieved in 2000! It was out of service more then it was in. The 4 Ferrara Ladders that the my Department had were replced in 2009 and the Ferrara ladders were taken off the roster and sold at auction. After 9 years these rigs were not even reliable enough to be used as spares. If that was the case in my Department I feel sorry for you guys. But as it was said give them a chance to see some action befor we judge.

I think it was I who said, "give them a chance".  Still, your experience doesn't bode well for their longevity.  However, don't forget that these are a completely new design and chassis from the ground up.  Who knows, maybe they'll get it right.

4 Truck hasn't gotten theirs yet?  Have they given you guys a heads up about when it might come?  We've had a '94 spare for months now, actually, most of this year.  While it does have windows.....you have to keep them open or else the exhaust gas leaking through the engine cover will kill everyone in the cab... :p  Seriously, we had a little job last week and a cop came over and said, "I think your truck is on fire".  That's how much smoke is constantly pouring out of that thing.

Bulldog

Bulldog
JohnnyBopp said:
I think it was I who said, "give them a chance".  Still, your experience doesn't bode well for their longevity.  However, don't forget that these are a completely new design and chassis from the ground up.  Who knows, maybe they'll get it right.
I think that's a great philosophy but another way to look at it is that normally the first units of anything new historically have a lot of problems until the bugs get worked out!  Which could mean that FDNY could be in for a long winter.

JohnnyBopp said:
116ff60 said:

4 Truck hasn't gotten theirs yet?  Have they given you guys a heads up about when it might come?  We've had a '94 spare for months now, actually, most of this year.  While it does have windows.....you have to keep them open or else the exhaust gas leaking through the engine cover will kill everyone in the cab... :p  Seriously, we had a little job last week and a cop came over and said, "I think your truck is on fire".  That's how much smoke is constantly pouring out of that thing.

no we havent yet....they said in a few weeks we should be going out to the rock to get familiar with it.  our capt isnt too happy about getting it.  yeah everytime we start our spare up our co meters go frantic becuase of all the co and it is hooked up to the nedermann thats how much exhaust is coming out of this rent a wreck.  we some how managed to crack the block and we lost the front seal on our trans. 

its not that bad..but the co meters do go off if your standing close enough.....thank god we have no windows...lol  i guess we will just have to wait and see how these things hold up....but im not going to hold my breath

The last two units of the original order of 20 are the production page and unit 4625 is lettered for L11 and unit 4626 is lettered for L 3

http://www.ferrarafire.com/CustomerSupport/InProduction/InProduction.html

Just a remeinder and an update:

An add-on order for 21 additional units has been placed as of 6/14/2011.  This will bring the order total to 41

The first four units of this order are on the In Production as units:

and

SECOND ADD ON ORDER BRINGS TOTAL TO 54 UNITS

Jack Lerch in the September/October issue of FAJ states that a second add on order for thirteen more 100' rear mount aerials has bee placed.

"This will make a total of 54 units.  The current three year contract was for twenty units, based onthree orders of six, four and ten. An add on order was approved for the building of twenty one units"

This additional order of 13 will allow replacement of all of the 1999. 2001, and 2002 units in front line service.